Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Attenuation jump after upgrade from Mid to Max

This is a discussion on Attenuation jump after upgrade from Mid to Max within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Wondering if someone out there could give me some advice? After seeing that there is now a cap on ...

tfigraham is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Attenuation jump after upgrade from Mid to Max

Hi,

Wondering if someone out there could give me some advice? After seeing that there is now a cap on the mid/everyday package I thought it was time to upgrade to the max/unlimited package.

My attenuation was a stable 38dB and I was syncing at 8Mb so I thought I may get some more speed if my exchange was equipped with ADSL2+ but at worst my speed would be the same but with no cap.

After the change I can see that my download attenuation has jumped to 42dB

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7003 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 42.0 db 24.9 db
      Noise Margin 3.6 db 12.5 db

I have used the link for more detailed stats on the router (Netgear DG834GT) and it looks like I am now on ADSL2+

Mode: ADSL2+
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 3.5 12.5
      Attn(dB): 42.0 24.9
      Pwr(dBm): 0.0 12.8
      Max(Kbps): 9984 896
      Rate (Kbps): 7003 796
      G.dmt framing
      K: 17(0) 25
      R: 8 16
      S: 1 8
      D: 128 4
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 98 68
      B: 16 24
      M: 1 8
      T: 8 1
      S: 0.0771 7.7142
      L: 2594 224
      D: 384 4

And a pretty low noise margin, may need a router reboot this evening

I have no extensions connected and the only socket in the house does not NTE5 faceplate it is just a normal socket wired directly

Any ideas as to why my speed has dropped even though I have gone up to ADSL2+?

I realise that if you move across to ADSL2+ there is a jump in the attenuation but 4dB seems quite a bit and even with this the router detailed stats it looks like I should be getting almost 10Mb or is that the profile I am on?

I realise there is ADSL2+ and G.DMT, looks like I am on ADSL2+ could going to G.DMT improve my speed?

I cannot remember what upload speed I had but 796k is greater than the mid package quots so could it be that the download attenuation has changed due to the change in upload speed?

Basically it looks like the move to ADSL2+ has dropped my speed by at least 1Mb

Many thanks,

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Re: Attenuation jump after upgrade from Mid to Max

You may be on DLM at the moment if you changed package recently.

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tfigraham View Post
      Hi,
      My attenuation was a stable 38dB and I was syncing at 8Mb so I thought I may get some more speed if my exchange was equipped with ADSL2+ but at worst my speed would be the same but with no cap.

After the change I can see that my download attenuation has jumped to 42dB

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7003 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 42.0 db 24.9 db
      Noise Margin 3.6 db 12.5 db

I have used the link for more detailed stats on the router (Netgear DG834GT) and it looks like I am now on ADSL2+

Mode: ADSL2+
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 3.5 12.5
      Attn(dB): 42.0 24.9
      Pwr(dBm): 0.0 12.8
      Max(Kbps): 9984 896
      Rate (Kbps): 7003 796
      G.dmt framing
      K: 17(0) 25
      S: 1 8
      D: 128 4
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 98 68
      B: 16 24
      M: 1 8
      T: 8 1
      S: 0.0771 7.7142
      L: 2594 224
      D: 384 4

And a pretty low noise margin, may need a router reboot this evening

I have no extensions connected and the only socket in the house does not NTE5 faceplate it is just a normal socket wired directly

Any ideas as to why my speed has dropped even though I have gone up to ADSL2+?

I realise that if you move across to ADSL2+ there is a jump in the attenuation but 4dB seems quite a bit and even with this the router detailed stats it looks like I should be getting almost 10Mb or is that the profile I am on?

I realise there is ADSL2+ and G.DMT, looks like I am on ADSL2+ could going to G.DMT improve my speed?

I cannot remember what upload speed I had but 796k is greater than the mid package quots so could it be that the download attenuation has changed due to the change in upload speed?

Basically it looks like the move to ADSL2+ has dropped my speed by at least 1Mb

Many thanks,
      If you have any extensions in the house, take the master socket faceplate off and make sure only terminal 2 and 5 are connected as there seems to be noise on your line, my attenuation is 43db one more than yours and I get 13Mb with spare noise margin, so you should get at least 8 to 9Mb I would have thought maybe abit more.

tfigraham is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies, I guess I wil wait a few days and see if the situation improves which may suggest I am on DLM at the moment. it has only been a week since the upgrade.

I have no extensions in the house and have already checked that only two wires are connected to my socket.

The thing that interests me is the jump in attenuation from 38Db to 42dB. It seems strange to move to ADSL2+ and get a jump in attenuation and a drop in speed.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Adsl2+ causes a rise of between 2 and 4 dbs. I think your line may be struggling with ADSL2+, I would not be surprised if your connection dropped and resyncs at an even lower speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.