Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Fed up of line drops :(

This is a discussion on Fed up of line drops :( within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Line stats; Connection Speed 13309 kbps 1044 kbps Line Attenuation 31 db 16 db Noise Margin 10 db 8 db ...

Wingco is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Fed up of line drops :(

Line stats;
      Connection Speed 13309 kbps 1044 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31 db 16 db
      Noise Margin 10 db 8 db

Sky Max customer. The connection speed stays the same regardless of the SNM, suggesting DLM has run its course and my line stats have been cast in stone.

My line drops on a regular basis at least once every couple of days, at different times of day or night.

Yesterday my Exchange was apparently being "upgraded" according to Sky, yet the line has just dropped again with the above stats.

Is this something I've just got to put up with It's been this way ever since I joined Sky?

2. Advertisement
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Re: Fed up of line drops :(

Quote Originally Posted by Wingco View Post
      Line stats;
      Noise Margin 10 db 8 db

Sky Max customer. The connection speed stays the same regardless of the SNM, suggesting DLM has run its course and my line stats have been cast in stone.

My line drops on a regular basis at least once every couple of days, at different times of day or night.

Yesterday my Exchange was apparently being "upgraded" according to Sky, yet the line has just dropped again with the above stats.

Is this something I've just got to put up with It's been this way ever since I joined Sky?
      It isn't surpose to drop all the time, it could be a problem with the extension if you are using one of course. I would try connected to the test socket and see if it happens and if it still happens in the test socket then it could be a case of the router being faulty.

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wingco View Post
      Line stats;
      Noise Margin 10 db 8 db

No don't put with it. Contact Sky and report that you're getting constant disconnections. Hopefully, this'll be escalated and you get an BT engineer sent out to troubleshoot your connection.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

They are more likely to cap the speed down till the speed stabilises.

If it is dropping and reconnecting at the same speed, that suggests an intermittent fault on the line or the router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just plugged directly into the Test Socket, new stats.

Connection Speed 13309 kbps 796 kbps
      Noise Margin 9 db 8 db

note the different upload speed, is it significant? Will monitor over a couple of days and see what happens. The line used to drop only in the late/early hours but lately it's doing so during the day.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well the Netgear 934 supplied by Sky continues to drop the PPP session. The longest time without a drop is around 40 hours. This has been the case from new. I assumed the drops were due to the DLM. However my line now appears to be capped, but the Netgear still drops the PPP.

The snr readings on the Netgear would flat line at 10 during the day, then vary wildly during the evenings, a 5db drop was usual. The readings would then recover to around 6db then fluctuate up and down by around 4/5db.

I replaced it with a trusty old Speedtouch 585. The snr now flat lines at 9db during the day then drops to around 7.5/8 during darkness. The speedtouch hasn't dropped the PPP session yet and has been up for 58hrs.

In view of the above I'm not impressed with Netgear routers

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Yes, it seems that many different routers deal differently with noise issues. Well at least you may be getting somewhere now

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

In view of the above I'm not impressed with Netgear routers
      I could be a faulty router, call Sky and tell the that the lights are not coming on in your router. They will send you a new one. Remember to unplug your ST when you call them, or preferably tell them you have borrowed one from a friend and it works perfectly. This will stop them messing about with your line.

Some say the Sagem handles noise better than the Netgear.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.