Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help - Slow speed

This is a discussion on Help - Slow speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello! Just found this forum and it appears to have a wealth of information. I was searching for any information ...

A1963Gooner is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01843
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Help - Slow speed

Hello!

Just found this forum and it appears to have a wealth of information.

I was searching for any information on download speeds initially as I have noticed that my speeds have become incredibly slow.

My router 'stats' (found courtesy of this forum) are as follows

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 571 kbps 605 kbps
      Line Attenuation 61.0 db 34.5 db
      Noise Margin 14.8 db 13.7 db

Now as a complete newbie to this type of info, I confess that apart from the connection speeds, it's way over my head!

What I do know is that my download speed used to be circa 1Mb when my line was a maximum 2Mb and having checked my line capability yesterday, this has recently increased to 3.5Mb yet my download speed has reduced!

Any pointers as to what the info means would be greatly appreciated before I contact Sky.

(Apologies if this post is in the wrong thread - still finding my way around the site)

Many thanks

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Help - Slow speed

How long have you been connected? Do you have filters on all phone sockets that are in use and are the filters plugged in first before anything else?

Please plug into the Test socket, link below, and post your stats from there.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hi.

Stats from the master test socket as follows:

Connection Speed 2045 kbps 605 kbps
      Line Attenuation 60.0 db 32.1 db
      Noise Margin 7.8 db 14.2 db

Quite a difference!

I've got a filter on secondary phone in master bedroom; a filter on an extension to my daughter's bedroom (serving just Sky Multi-Room set up); a filter out of the master socket which the router plugs into. The router actually plugs into an extension socket that is itself plugged into the master socket (the extension socket serves Sky HD box only).

I've had the Sky Broadband package approximately 12 months.

Having now just unplugged the router from the test socket, these are the results:

Connection Speed 557 kbps 605 kbps
      Line Attenuation 61.0 db 34.4 db
      Noise Margin 14.6 db 14.1 db

Clearly something is not quite right. Presumably it's a case of trial and error to find why the speed alters when using the test socket but any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Make sure that the very first thing plugged in to any phone socket is a micro filter, go round and check that you haven't accidentally plugged in the Sky box splitter cable in first as this is quite a common mistake and usually leads to the type of speed reduction you are experiencing.

Also, when you open up the master to reveal the test socket, what have you got connected to the faceplate, remove all wires connected to no. 3 connector.

Thanks

Will do - thanks.

Placing the filter into the master before the extension has improved things for sure.

However, that error has always been with me but I still used to get a better speed than of late. My thoughts now lay with the installation of our Sky Multi Room. The phone line serving the 2nd Sky + box was taken from the external BT socket located just below the roof fascia and not from the master socket located in the ground floor lounge. Would this effect performance, even with a filter fitted?

Thanks

Wire now removed - same stats now as when plugged into the master test socket.

Thanks for your help getting this far. However, if my phone line is anticipated as being able to reach a 3.5Mb speed, is it realistic to say that a 1.5Mb difference is acceptable or could this be improved further by Sky? Or could the difference simply be the wiring inside my house?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

The internal wiring will not help, you could do with fitting a filtered faceplate for your best chance and speed.

Remember it is only an estimate, some will be more and others less depending on the line quality, age etc.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think you have also been moved to ADSL2+ which is not suiting your line. You have to make the changes to your wiring, fitting a filtered faceplate is the best way, then call Sky and ask them to return your line to G.DMT as the high speed mode is making the speed worse than it was.

XTE-2005 Filtered Master Faceplate - ADSL Nation

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Just to conclude this thread, I contacted Sky and they duly responded:

"There may have been a change somewhere on your line which caused the automatic configuration tool to start running on your line. I have stopped this and manually configured your line to 3.2MB"

By ensuring all my filters were correctly installed and by removing the wire to point 3 in the BT master socket, I can now confirm that I am now indeed getting the 3.2Mb.

Probably the best I've ever had (and can currently expect) given the distance from my house to the nearest exchange.

Again, thanks for your help.

Best wishes and keep up the good work!