Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post DLM 10 day period...

This is a discussion on Post DLM 10 day period... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; After being on 4mbps for first few days (and leaving router on solidly)...we quickly rose to the following, but it ...

mj_asylum is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carrickfergus
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Post DLM 10 day period...

After being on 4mbps for first few days (and leaving router on solidly)...we quickly rose to the following, but it remained that way.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 14331 kbps 1012 kbps
      Line Attenuation 22 db 10 db
      Noise Margin 11 db 8 db

I was expecting a touch more than this (though the upload is wonderful). But since DLM was running and I didnt get to sneak behind master socket before it started...I fear there is a few extensions to remove from it.

Now that DLM has supposedly finished, I feel I can now look at the socket and test it as well as taking out any extensions.

Though I will say now. I'm fully aware routers have to be in master sockets for the full wack. But alas my master socket has no power source near it. No doubt I'll get a mini extension to connect router in there to check difference. As putting a power extension to that master is not practical as it goes across a front door.
      The router is on an extension a few feet away from master.

I'm aware that can cause flaws. So I'll see what I can do to get the router on that master permanently.
      Sammy Davis Jr: "When God made me He took one step back and hit me up the face with a shovel."

2. Advertisement
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Post DLM 10 day period...

Update, running router on master socket makes for no difference with download speed, but increases upload by 3kbps....LOL

So I'll just keep it on the mini extension for practical reasons.

Is there any other way apart from checking said extensions (not including the one the router is running off) to increase my 14mbps?

I'm spoiled...I had 16mbps at my other house a street away that had 18 line attenuation....I think I need to increase my noise margin?
      Sammy Davis Jr: "When God made me He took one step back and hit me up the face with a shovel."

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Did the Attenuation or noise margin change when in the main socket (test socket if you have one)? That is the big question. If it changes significantly plugging into there and telling tier 1 you have fixed an issue internally will get the line reset.

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mj_asylum View Post
      Update, running router on master socket makes for no difference with download speed, but increases upload by 3kbps....LOL

So I'll just keep it on the mini extension for practical reasons.

Is there any other way apart from checking said extensions (not including the one the router is running off) to increase my 14mbps?

I'm spoiled...I had 16mbps at my other house a street away that had 18 line attenuation....I think I need to increase my noise margin?
      Your speed wont automatically increase now, because it'll be capped, if indeed DLM has completed. What you should be looking for is an increase in your noise margin which will give an indication of what more speed is potentially available.

You say you used the master socket, did you remove the faceplate and plug your router into the test socket, assuming you have one. If not, please do so and report your stats. Make sure that nothing else is connected to your phone line (no phones, Sky boxes etc) and check that all other phone sockets are now dead.

Also what is this "mini extension" you're referring to, is it a properly wired telephone socket or just an extension you plug into the front of your master socket?

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Personally, I'd leave the stats as they are. You have a rather healthy D/S SNR and you're not going to push out that much more even if sky lift the slight cap on the downstream sync. I think this is an example where DLM actually gets it right.

Edit: I'll elaborate a bit more - if sky lift the cap and you sync at say around 15mbps or thereabouts, then your SNR would be around 7 or so. If your line is susceptible to noise, then the SNR may drop in some instances leaving it rather low, building errors and reducing your actual throughput and possibly even dropping out. I'd keep it like it is at the moment.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I'd keep it like it is at the moment.
      I would still advise plugging into the Test socket if you have hardwired extensions. If you do not have a test socket and have extensions, remove the wire from terminal 3 on the backplate of the master socket. The other sockets do not matter. Remember it is an increase in the downstream noise margin you are looking for, not an increase in speed at this stage.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

remember, DLM is a constant process...it'll run once, then run again if it thinks it needs to...it ONLY stops when suspended by CST...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      remember, DLM is a constant process...it'll run once, then run again if it thinks it needs to...it ONLY stops when suspended by CST...
      Are you sure? If so why am I stuck at 5mb's even though I removed a problem extension lead? yet I had a solid 8mb for the last 3 years prior to DLM.
      Sorry to hijack thread

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Yes that is how it must work, just be patent, leave it synced for a week or so and if the speed has not increased re-sync the router and you should be back at full speed assuming that your previous speed has errors which DLM is happy with.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Post DLM 10 day period...New house

It's one of those 'aw crap' moments.

Guess what...the wire coming into the house comes to a socket, it screws off at the front...but all the front comes off...no test socket behind. Crap.

It's is not the screw off (lower half comes off) type.

Am I able to change this old one to one of the filtered face plates ok?

I will tell you now....I'm pretty sure that three bedrooms, and the living room all have extentions running off this 1st socket.

BTW...seeing as there is no test socket.
      The 1st socket and the extention of into the livingroom...the SNR doesnt change. But the upload speed jumps by 0.3kbps. Tiny. LOL
      The bedrooms having extention sockets...the living room (router) having a connector but not a fixed box.

Cant really make out the wires...I'm sure if I had more time I could have a good look over it.

But my heart sank when I looked at the 1st box running from the drop wire..and it was a BT socket...but not the more modern half & half screw off variety and my heart sank further when I saw there was no test socket.

Have yet to remove all the unused extentions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast