Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post DLM 10 day period...

This is a discussion on Post DLM 10 day period... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Koala5 Are you sure? If so why am I stuck at 5mb's even though I removed a ...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Post DLM 10 day period...

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      Are you sure? If so why am I stuck at 5mb's even though I removed a problem extension lead? yet I had a solid 8mb for the last 3 years prior to DLM.
      Sorry to hijack thread
      Yes im 100% sure - I do work for CST remember!!! and if it lowered the speed to 5Mbps now thinking it's stable it won't increase again until it thinks it has the need to - obviously it's seen something to do it...whether it's a false positive or not I don't know...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Post DLM 10 day period...New house

Quote Originally Posted by mj_asylum View Post
      It's one of those 'aw crap' moments.

Guess what...the wire coming into the house comes to a socket, it screws off at the front...but all the front comes off...no test socket behind. Crap.

It's is not the screw off (lower half comes off) type.

Am I able to change this old one to one of the filtered face plates ok?

I will tell you now....I'm pretty sure that three bedrooms, and the living room all have extentions running off this 1st socket.

BTW...seeing as there is no test socket.
      The 1st socket and the extention of into the livingroom...the SNR doesnt change. But the upload speed jumps by 0.3kbps. Tiny. LOL
      The bedrooms having extention sockets...the living room (router) having a connector but not a fixed box.

Cant really make out the wires...I'm sure if I had more time I could have a good look over it.

But my heart sank when I looked at the 1st box running from the drop wire..and it was a BT socket...but not the more modern half & half screw off variety and my heart sank further when I saw there was no test socket.

Have yet to remove all the unused extentions.
      just see it as a chance to start again with the wiring and get it as good as you can...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

mj_asylum is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carrickfergus
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You mean restart with wiring as far as what, just getting filtered face plate?

Or do you mean I need more rewiring literally around the house.But until that time disconnect extensions off wire '3'.

Will the filtered face plate provide me with a test socket.?
      Sammy Davis Jr: "When God made me He took one step back and hit me up the face with a shovel."

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Post DLM 10 day period...New house

Quote Originally Posted by mj_asylum View Post
      It's one of those 'aw crap' moments.

Guess what...the wire coming into the house comes to a socket, it screws off at the front...but all the front comes off...no test socket behind. Crap.

It's is not the screw off (lower half comes off) type.

Am I able to change this old one to one of the filtered face plates ok?

I will tell you now....I'm pretty sure that three bedrooms, and the living room all have extentions running off this 1st socket.

BTW...seeing as there is no test socket.
      The 1st socket and the extention of into the livingroom...the SNR doesnt change. But the upload speed jumps by 0.3kbps. Tiny. LOL
      The bedrooms having extention sockets...the living room (router) having a connector but not a fixed box.

Cant really make out the wires...I'm sure if I had more time I could have a good look over it.

But my heart sank when I looked at the 1st box running from the drop wire..and it was a BT socket...but not the more modern half & half screw off variety and my heart sank further when I saw there was no test socket.

Have yet to remove all the unused extentions.
      I'm afraid you can't fit a filtered faceplate to this type of socket, you need the NTE5 type socket for that, in fact you're not legally allowed to do anything to that socket as the whole thing marks the demarcation point for your incoming BT line.

What you can do, at your own risk, is fit an NTE5 yourself, one of these will do the trick - BT OPENREACH NTE/NTE5/CTE5 TELEPHONE MASTER SOCKET on eBay (end time 15-Oct-09 14:00:58 BST) , and go from there. Although it's extremely rare for BT to do anything about it, or even find out, you're still acting illegally so something to be aware of.

BTW, don't forget to ask for a back box.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Remember too that fitting an NTE5 with a filtered faceplate is only effective if you actually plug into it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Remember too that fitting an NTE5 with a filtered faceplate is only effective if you actually plug into it.
      I run cat5e from the unfiltered side of the faceplate and get the same result as plugging direct into the faceplate.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I run cat5e from the unfiltered side of the faceplate and get the same result as plugging direct into the faceplate.
      This is exactly the same as plugging into the faceplate, except that you are hardwiring the connection instead of plugging it in. You are using the filtered faceplate.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

mj_asylum is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carrickfergus
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It's safe to say that getting a stable 14mbps....on the Sky Unlimited service is ok to be dealing with right now.

Will have to consider the special BT box shown on ebay (with back box) in future.
      Sammy Davis Jr: "When God made me He took one step back and hit me up the face with a shovel."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12