Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Recently my connection got upgraded...

This is a discussion on Recently my connection got upgraded... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; But now my router cuts out, say, 3-4 times a day. Im guessing my line cant handle the higher internet ...

FriXion is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Recently my connection got upgraded...

But now my router cuts out, say, 3-4 times a day. Im guessing my line cant handle the higher internet speed? My internet got upgraded to 4mb download speed (was 2mb, even though were paying for 8mb) and now my upload is around 450kb (was 200-300). Is there any way to stop my internet/router cutting out or do we have to go back to our old, crappy speed?

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Recently my connection got upgraded...

Post your stats from the router (link over on the left in quick links box) and a description of your setup (what's plugged in where on the line).

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you were only getting 2 Mb then upgrading would make no difference to your speed. The only time upgrading will increase your speed is if you are getting 8/10Mb before the upgrade. (OK for the pedantic, if you were on Base getting 2 Mb you might see an increase)

It looks like you are on a very long line and your mode has been switched to ADSL2+, this does not suit many long lines. Post your stats as requested.

EDIT I have just had a look at your past posts and see you posted this
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 512 kbps 252 kbps
      Line Attenuation 38.5 db 25.0 db
      Noise Margin 31.2 db 17.0 db

Have you moved house since these were taken, if not you should have had about 10 Mb, not 2. You need your line configured.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi guys, i think those stats were when i was on DLM. (have been taken off)

We didnt actually get our connection upgraded, didnt change package or anything. For some unknown reason our internet speed went up (we dont know why...)

Btw, i dont know if this is the problem but because our old router was breaking (Netgear DG384GT) we bought a new router. A "Philips 802.11g Wireless ADSL2/2+ Modem Router CGA5722", and so far it has worked much better then our old netgear one.

The stats are pretty hard to copy and paste, because they just mess up on this router, so ill have to provide screenies.

I hope you still understand these router stats, haha

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

What package are you on now? You're not on base as your profile suggests.

Anyway, your attenuation would suggest you should push out around 13-14mb (if you're on the unlimited package). However, from your noise margin, you're not going to push out anywhere near that. I would suggest that coupled with the low SNR (for the attenuation) and the fact your internet is dropping sync that your physical set-up is probably where the problem lies.

If you can re-take the stats from your test socket (unscrew the faceplate off the master socket and the test point is to the right hand side) with a new filter with just the ADSL cable supplied by sky going to the router (it's a light grey short cable). From there we'll be able to see if you can push out more speed/if it will be more stable etc.

Thanks

It is only my opinion but I don't think your Phillips router is a patch on the DG834GT. If I were you I would plug it back in, at least until your problems are fixed.

You have been put on ADSL2+ so it is possible your line has been put back on DLM. Your attenuation should give you 10Mb, on Eveyday and possibly 12-13 on Unlimited. There is something causing noise on your line which you can only sort out by doing what User05 suggests.

It seems you have had a very poor speed for weeks, you were advised by Joss to fix your wiring in this thread and don't appear to have taken the advice given-
      Problem installing Philips CGA5722 router/modem

Until you sort out your wiring you will not get a fast stable connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      What package are you on now? You're not on base as your profile suggests.

Anyway, your attenuation would suggest you should push out around 13-14mb (if you're on the unlimited package). However, from your noise margin, you're not going to push out anywhere near that. I would suggest that coupled with the low SNR (for the attenuation) and the fact your internet is dropping sync that your physical set-up is probably where the problem lies.

If you can re-take the stats from your test socket (unscrew the faceplate off the master socket and the test point is to the right hand side) with a new filter with just the ADSL cable supplied by sky going to the router (it's a light grey short cable). From there we'll be able to see if you can push out more speed/if it will be more stable etc.
      Im not sure what package im on, (im only 15, so i dont pay for the stuff ) all i know is that were paying for 8mb. (I think thats mid)

The way i fixed my disconnections before was to just unscrew the faceplate on the socket and just play around in that. There was only 1 socket under the faceplate, is that the test one? Because when i tried to put the faceplate back on, it looked like the wire went into that socket anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It is only my opinion but I don't think your Phillips router is a patch on the DG834GT. If I were you I would plug it back in, at least until your problems are fixed.

You have been put on ADSL2+ so it is possible your line has been put back on DLM. Your attenuation should give you 10Mb, on Eveyday and possibly 12-13 on Unlimited. There is something causing noise on your line which you can only sort out by doing what User05 suggests.

It seems you have had a very poor speed for weeks, you were advised by Joss to fix your wiring in this thread and don't appear to have taken the advice given-
      Problem installing Philips CGA5722 router/modem

Until you sort out your wiring you will not get a fast stable connection.
      I dont really want to go back to the DG834GT, because it will cause alot of trouble trying to get it back up. (had to get a friend to sort out our philips one, and if we want to go back to that, we will have to get him round again. + i think this router is much better then the DG834GT.)

Joss didnt actually say what to do - what should i do?

Thanks

There was only 1 socket under the faceplate, so i dont think i can do that
      Plug it into that socket, that is referred to as the test socket, see the test socket link below.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks - i will do that tomorrow. (bit late today)

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Once again, my stats again before i test the other socket...:

Will post stats in a second with it plugged in the master/test socket

btw those stats do not look normal to me, and i dont know anything about internet really...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast