Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

low speeds at certain times

This is a discussion on low speeds at certain times within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've been on max for almost three years and had no problems until 4 weeks ago. My speed went from ...

theedills is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Benton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

low speeds at certain times

I've been on max for almost three years and had no problems until 4 weeks ago. My speed went from a constant 4.5meg, so constant it stayed connected for months at a time. 4 weeks ago my speed dropped to 1meg, then lower. The noise levels started going all over the place, starting at 7ish when I rebooted the router and dropping to 1 and below steadily within the hour. Sky gave me a new router- problem continued. BT engineer came out, changed the filtered faceplate I had and replaced it with a BT filtered faceplate. He also renewed the wiring coming into the house. My speed went up to 5meg- for an hour- then same problem with the noise, disconnecting and then resyncing at 1meg. Sky have since resynced for me and got 4.5-5meg but each time the noise margin drops, I loose connection and it resyncs at 1meg. in the last week I've had a ?type air shift?- problem continues. LAst night CS moved me from ADSL2 to G.DMT and guess what, I've lost connection and resynced at 1meg ish. The noise seems to be staying constant since last night, so I'm not sure if it dropped in th emiddle of the night or not. Nothing in my setup has changed and each time I get through to CS they confirm I'm not on DLM.
      Forgot to mention the certain times part. My speed drops from around 10 in the morning untill 10 at night, usually.

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 2799 2577 0 554 2581 00:13:59
      LAN 10M/100M 3046 3255 0 2693 671 00:14:51
      WLAN 11M/54M 114 0 0 45 0 00:14:43

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1184 kbps 800 kbps
      Line Attenuation 49.0 db 31.0 db
      Noise Margin 7.4 db 13.0 db

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: low speeds at certain times

Download and run RouterStats Lite. This will show you what is happening to your noise margin and whether a drop in this is causing your problems. RouterStats -Lite On the applications Setup, Graphs tab, set the Sample interval to 60 secs and 500, this will give you about 8 hours coverage per chart.

Incidentally your upstream speed does not look like a G.DMT speed, more ADSL2+.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Post the stats from the test socket if you have one, link below with details if needed.
      Is there any noise when you are using the phone.

Thanks

I've just resynced at got the stats below- they look about right but often do and then drop. My upload speeds have been really good every time I've changed anything, even getting better than download when the download was 750kbps and upload 800. I've downloaded the routerStats and set it up as you've suggested, will keep an eye on it. Do i need to go back into the test socket if i'm on a filtered faceplate?

WAN PPPoA 30783 29083 0 1471 13510 00:41:45
      LAN 10M/100M 30359 32354 0 13647 1806 00:42:39
      WLAN 11M/54M 194 0 0 28 0 00:42:31

Connection Speed 4800 kbps 800 kbps
      Line Attenuation 49.0 db 31.0 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 13.0 db

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The test socket should not make any difference when using a new filtered faceplate, but it may be worth a try.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I'll wait until I've got a few hours info from RouterStats, been in and out of the test socket loads over the last few weeks but the sky folks at CST have said the figures showed nothing new- will try later though. Cheers.

Thanks

I've run RouterStats for a couple of hours now and went away to do something else. When i checked it and my router I found my speed had gone from 4.8meg to just over 1meg, when I look at the graphs on RouterStats I can see noise margin staying steadily between 7 and 8dB for 1 1/2 hours. The speed stays constant at hte same time. After 1 1/2 hrs the noise margin jumps up quickly to nearly 11dB stays there for about 40 mins then has a rapid drop to about 1db. The speed at this stays at 4.8meg until the big drop at which point it resyncs at just over 1 meg. This is starting to drive me up the walls, I've rebooted my router a couple of times since the drop but keeps coming up at about 1meg. The uploadspeed has not changed at all, staying a constant 800kbps.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Does the noise margin drop when the phone is used??? It should be easy to check, wait until it is back up and then ring out, if that doesn't do it then try ringing in from a mobile etc.

If it does then you may have a line fault.

Also keep a note at the times, is there anything switching on around then, street lights or a boiler etc.

Thanks

I phoned sky a little while ago and the fella on Tier 1 said I was on DLM, said that I should not have been told otherwise even though the CST people have all said I wasn't on DLM. I've been running RouterStats so have seen the rise and drop in noise and speed, I've tried phoning out and have phones my landline and it hasn't had any effect on the noise at all, as for any other devices on the go, today was one of the few days I've been in on my own and I can safely say no other electrical device in my house was on the go. I'll be annoyed if switching to G.DMT sorted it out only for DLM to kick inn hours later!

Thanks

update #1234354215145,
      waited on Monday evening for a call back from CST fella who had put me onto GDMT. He was sure it would work and I had nothing to worry about, but alas the speed dropped from around4.5meg to just over 1, within the hour. He said he would check the stats on Monday and phone back but he didn't and the ticket had been closed. I called again last night and the tier 1 guy was great and got me another ticket, the girl i spoke to put me on to escalations who phoned back tonight- lots of phoning. the escalations fella has just told me they will call back around about the same time next week to sort out an engineers visit- that was the total of the call- a call about a call. I've spent hours either waiting for a phone call or making phone calls over the last few days and all the while my noise level goes dead high (23/24) for about 3 hours, then crashes (1-3) for about 10seconds, then resyncs at 7ish for about 3 hours, then back up for 3 hours...... I'm starting to wonder if 02 are worth looking at, the reviews look good. Oh aye, here are my stats at the minute, my noise did it's usual crash and has resynced at a nice 7.7.

WAN PPPoA 2700 2607 0 753 3387 00:11:01
      LAN 10M/100M 3873 4056 0 3979 1012 00:11:56
      WLAN 11M/54M 118 0 0 40 0 00:11:48

Connection Speed 1152 kbps 800 kbps
      Line Attenuation 48.0 db 31.0 db
      Noise Margin 7.7 db 13.0 db

those lovely upstream stats haven't moved once- solid as a rock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast