Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Another Broadband issue!

This is a discussion on Another Broadband issue! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; As many others have lost about 1mb on my connection the last few days (since sunday) Has been fine for ...

Truegrace is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Another Broadband issue!

As many others have lost about 1mb on my connection the last few days (since sunday) Has been fine for the last 13 months up until now, surfing still appears fine, but online gaming, especially wow, is unplayable. Constant lag spikes, disconnecting every few minutes, not fun.

Stats are:

Normally connection

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1874 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 53 db 32 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 8 db

Direct into test socket

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1952 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 54 db 32 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 9 db

Nothing else plugged in other than router through a brand new filter, using the grey cable supplier by Sky.

Seems alot better at about 2am, but still full of spikes etc.

If it is a wiring problem not sure why its only just started, was happy with my service up til this week, but getting 2-10k latency at times in warcraft.

Thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Another Broadband issue!

Well from the stats it does not look as if DLM has ran, so that wouldn't seem to be the problem.

On your landline telephone is there crackling/static/popping or is it a clear line? If there is, try it with just the telephone into the test socket, without the broadband, and check whether it is still audible - if so, then if it is BT you pay line rental to, you'll need to contact BT faults dept. on 0800 800151 or if it is sky talk line rental, then ring sky. If no audible noise, then disregard this paragraph obviously.

The stats would not denote any wiring issues as the test socket makes little difference. It will maybe need to get logged off to BT through sky for an external line fault or at least investigated by sky. Only way to get it sorted would be to ring in and have a ticket raised to CST who will more than likely replace the router first and then if that doesn't sort it, they will log to BT. Do you have another router you could connect up to rule out a router issue?

icedraider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Hi
      Ive been having similar problems the last couple of weeks now. i've replaced all internal cables in the house and the master socket to no avail
      sky are working on it now ..almost had it right then someone else had a play the next day total cockup
      3rd attempt now later today
      this is my stats so for the same attenuation you seem to have a bigger problem than me m8
      saying that mine is still laggy and gaming is unplayable and ive lost 700kbps download speed.

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
      Connection Speed4480 kbps896 kbps
      Line Attenuation53.0 db31.5 db
      Noise Margin7.2 db9.0 db
      lets see if any one has any idea for us both

Truegrace is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I havent got another router unfortunalty, but have been debating buying a different one to the sky provided ones I have heard from a few friends that they are not the best. Before I go buying another one though I will give sky a call and see if they can sort the issue.

Anyone know what time their call center is open til? at work now and dont finish til 10.30, and stuck at work all day tomorrow.

If they are going to send me a new router want that in the post asap

Thanks for the comments though, was hoping it was going to be DLM so would be a quickish fix and not a weekend/week without gaming :P

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Truegrace View Post
      I havent got another router unfortunalty, but have been debating buying a different one to the sky provided ones I have heard from a few friends that they are not the best. Before I go buying another one though I will give sky a call and see if they can sort the issue.

Anyone know what time their call center is open til? at work now and dont finish til 10.30, and stuck at work all day tomorrow.

If they are going to send me a new router want that in the post asap

Thanks for the comments though, was hoping it was going to be DLM so would be a quickish fix and not a weekend/week without gaming :P
      Well I don't believe it is DLM causing/caused the issue from the stats.

Sky are open 24/7 to call in.

Edit: Oh, and replacement routers USUALLY take 2-3 days, but sky will inform you of '3-5 days' to cover themselves.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It may be the router, but I doubt it. It is more likely to be a fault on your external line. But could you confirm that when the faceplate is removed to reveal the Test socket, none of your other extensions have dial tone?

If all is OK, dial one digit on your phone, you should hear nothing except a very faint hiss. Any crackles or pops indicates a fault on your line.

Can you also try this, plug the router and phone into the test socket, open your router settings and bring up the Show Statistics pane. Now dial a number, your own number will do, what happens to the noise margin in the stats pane?

@icedraider
      Your problem is different, you should have started your own thread. You line has been effected by DLM training. Only Sky can sort it out.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.