Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Connection speed drop

This is a discussion on Connection speed drop within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, Apologies for yet another connection speed thread, but we've recently been having a few problems. Basically starting last ...

Nicko2000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Worksop
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Connection speed drop

Hi all,

Apologies for yet another connection speed thread, but we've recently been having a few problems.

Basically starting last Friday (11th September) our connection speed would regularly drop to an awful speed (couldn't even browse the internet). I reset the router multiple times, but the connection speed would always drop shortly afterwards. On the Saturday it was a little better for a while, but towards the evening it started dropping again. By Monday everything appeared to be normal (i.e. we could browse the internet fine), however I've just run a speed test and could only get 0.5 meg out of it (whereas previously we could get around 2Meg of download speed).

Does anyone have any idea why this could be?

Router stats are as follows:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 766 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 58.5 db 33.7 db
      Noise Margin 12.6 db 8.5 db

EDIT:

I've just been reading up on DLM, is that what it is?

Also, have I shot myself in the foot somewhat by restarting my router all those times?
      Last edited by Nicko2000; 16-09-09 at 01:11 PM.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Re: Connection speed drop

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko2000 View Post
      I've just been reading up on DLM, is that what it is?

Also, have I shot myself in the foot somewhat by restarting my router all those times?
      It would seem you are right that DLM has ran - a lot of lines seem to be left with 606 upload after DLM. Regarding whether you've shot yourself in the foot, I'd say it is quite possible with all the re-boots as DLM may interpret the re-syncs as faults and cap the line accordingly.

You'll need to contact sky [08442 410515] and you'll get through to tier 1. Tell tier 1 that you'd like your max delays reduced and could they please raise a ticket for high ping times and be passed through to the customer solutions team. Should be quite a quick call and you'll be passed through to the customer solutions team for re-configuration. From there it should take a couple of minutes at most.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the phone call, I believe they have already reduced my Max Delays, as I previously asked them to do so (after receiving advice to do so from this site). Subsequently, my ping dropped from 100+ to around 35 so I was very pleased with that.

Should I still ask them to do it when I next ring up like you have suggested? Also, how do I know when the DLM is finished so I know when to ring up?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Regarding the phone call, I believe they have already reduced my Max Delays
      That is only a ruse to get through to CST. It works at the moment but I can see it being blocked in the future as too many are now using it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

It's just an incentive to be passed up to CST quicker. If you mention your speed is slow, you will NOT be passed through to CST without having went through all the usual options of master socket, changed filters, test socket etc. Tier 1 do not have access to view line codes or change sync speeds, so they won't/could not see if it simply was a matter of DLM having messed up your profile config.

Max delay reducing does not have a 'call flow script' so that is why you're passed through to CST straight away. I'd actually be surprised if many tier 1s know what you're talking about if you start mentioning interleave/fastpath.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Only if the tier 1 you get has been given training on Max delay calls which unfortunately many outsource staff have not.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Only if the tier 1 you get has been given training on Max delay calls which unfortunately many outsource staff have not.
      Oh yeah, that's completely what I meant. My reply was not a dig at tier 1 agents at all, it's more to do with the initial training (unless it has changed substantially) which really does not prime tier 1 for proper troubleshooting in my opinion.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Tier 1 is not allowed to troubleshoot, it's allowed to follow the pre-set diagnostics as developed by Sky.... sometimes the 2 do not go together lol Tier 1 is only allowed to use common sense if the diagnostics system does not fix the problem and the Tier 1 agent knows what will.

Thanks

Is there anyway to tell when the DLM has finished? We never received any email telling us the start date either, so I'm guessing we won't receive one when it's finished....

Griacs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Croydon
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I am still having probs - I guess I must still be at tier 1:- if only I had known. Mind you I did do this by email as the drop outs are short (but annoying when streaming). Which does mean you by-pass the "are you plugged in?" questions with a short survey. This saves me screaming "I am not a new customer and nor am I so stupid that I cannot plug things into the correct sockets!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast