Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Connection speed drop

This is a discussion on Connection speed drop within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Nicko2000 Is there anyway to tell when the DLM has finished? We never received any email telling ...

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Connection speed drop

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko2000 View Post
      Is there anyway to tell when the DLM has finished? We never received any email telling us the start date either, so I'm guessing we won't receive one when it's finished....
      It should tell you in your mysky page where it shows your BB connection details, if not just post a set of stats and someone will be able to say.

Griacs, those questions get asked to put the customer into the best possible test position to allow CST to do their work. You would not believe how many people don't realise they are not set up properly so it always has to be asked.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

This saves me screaming "I am not a new customer and nor am I so stupid that I cannot plug things into the correct sockets!"
      You might be surprised how many have come on here saying that only to find they had put filters in wrongly or had made some other silly mistake. Unless you know what is causing the problem you must go through the checks with Tier 1, tedious though it may be. I think the main thing is to get a ticket number, so that when or if you phone back you will not have to go through it all again.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Nicko2000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Worksop
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I checked MySky and it says that no line testing is currently underway.

Stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 761 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 58.5 db 33.7 db
      Noise Margin 10.1 db 12.0 db

In that case I'm guessing it's done with and I'm ok to go ahead and phone them up.

Thanks

I would say getting them to put you back on G.DMT would be the best way to get your speed back. They might be able to get you back to 2 Mb on ADSL2+ but it probably would not be stable.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Griacs View Post
      I am still having probs - I guess I must still be at tier 1:- if only I had known. Mind you I did do this by email as the drop outs are short (but annoying when streaming). Which does mean you by-pass the "are you plugged in?" questions with a short survey. This saves me screaming "I am not a new customer and nor am I so stupid that I cannot plug things into the correct sockets!"
      99% of CST work is actually tier 1 work. Checking the physical set-up is spot on HAS to be done by tier 1 and also tier 2. When the ticket is passed over, a lot of CST agents do not even bother looking at tier 1 notes and simply start from scratch. The number of times where it is an extension socket/extension wire/splitter before a filter/faulty filter is the problem would surprise you.

Regarding the OP's question - you're going to have to ring sky up and get your line reconfigured.

Thanks

Just about ready to tear my hair out now.

We emailed Sky once the DLM had finished, asking them to reconfigure the line, which they did. However it did not solve the problems, and we were still getting a woeful speed. We then phoned them last night and spent an hour trying to get through the the CST. Once we did, we asked them to (once again) manually reconfigure the line which (once again) they did. However it's the same story again today, the connection is still at a terrible speed.

The trouble is, the router statistics are saying that we're getting a decent speed, but that just isn't the case for any of the devices using the connection (a couple of laptops, Xbox 360, Wii, PS3).

Router statistics: ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 416 kbps 576 kbps
      Line Attenuation 58.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 17.9 db 17.0 db

TBH that downstream speed is a lot lower than it usually gives us, and the noise margin stat seems to fluctuate a lot (sorry if that's irrelevant but I have no idea what it means).

It's really doing my head in now, as every time we contact Sky they tell us that we need to have the router connected to the master telephone socket, and that there are a lot of errors on our line. But how come we have only had these problems since DLM was ran? We've had the exact same physical set-up for almost a year now, with a perfectly satisfactory speed.

If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated, as it's been almost 3 weeks since we've had anything near a decent connection speed.

EDIT: Apologies again if I'm providing useless information, but I used the Exchange checker from this site and at the bottom it says:

RAG Code: AGEC
      Fixed: Long line green for 1Mbps, Red for 2Mbps
      RA ADSL: 512kbps and 256kbps available
      Exch Info: Exchange ADSL enabled
      Line Info: Compatibility issue found. This could be several things eg. existing ADSL connection, pending ADSL order on line, ISDN, DACS, TPON, LLU, some alarm systems.
      Last edited by Nicko2000; 01-10-09 at 11:52 PM.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

The problem you have is the noise margin fluctuating. If it is changing by more that a 2-3db then you have noise on your line caused usually by a fault in your internal wiring.

Can you run the router from the test socket for a day or two and see if it is stable.

You can also download routerstats, this will monitor the noise margin for you and may show a pattern. (do a search for it on here)

You can ignore the info on the line, that just means that you already have ADSL on it.

This is nothing to do with DLM, it is just a coincidence, you line has developed a fault somewhere.

Thanks

Run router stats lite on a PC for 24 hours. If your noise margin stays in the high teens, there is no reason why you should not be able to get more speed. As they are, it looks like you should have 3-4Mb.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys. I've installed RouterStats Lite and will leave it on for 24 hours.

One other thing I have noticed is that it only seems to go really bad during the evenings/nights. Right now it's working pretty well, and we're getting about 1.5Meg when running a speed test. It always seems to be about 6 in the evening that it drops to the horrendous speeds.

Is that an indication of any problem? Surely it's not just because it's a peak time, as we never had that problem before DLM?

Thanks

Well the connection has been holding steady for a couple of days now, however the router now shows:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 761 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 58.0 db 33.4 db
      Noise Margin 11.4 db 13.0 db

Back to the same 606 upstream again (which I was told is a sign of DLM), and the downstream is back down to 760 again.

I also talked to some friends who live in the same area, and they said that they're Sky BB connection has also been very poor recently.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast