Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection speed dropped..DLM?

This is a discussion on Connection speed dropped..DLM? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I would really apreciate any advise, on 8 Sept my steady 6meg to 6.5meg (which I have had ...

booshy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Glossop
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Connection speed dropped..DLM?

Hi all,

I would really apreciate any advise, on 8 Sept my steady 6meg to 6.5meg (which I have had since I went on Max over 12 months ago) dropped off, sometimes as low as 300kbps! I rang Sky & was told that I was on DLM.

I seem to remember that downstream line attenuation was always around 47db with a noise margin about 7db but rarely lost connection & rarely got below 6meg

I explained that i have never had any probs & had a steady 6meg connection from day one & wanted my old speed back, i was advised to allow 10 days..........

After another 24 hours of dire connection speeds i rang again & asked to speak with CST, this was refused as i havnt allowed 10 days!

Well, its now been 8 days & my connection (after re-booting router due to sub 0.5meg speed) has stayed at 4095kbps.

my stats are as below, unfortunately they dont mean a great del to me, ie, have i been capped etc? Any help/advise would be much apreciated.

Many thanks, Andy

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 178801 200106 0 1326 6914 04:47:08
      LAN 10M/100M 4468391 3139680 0 7281 829 82:31:25
      WLAN 11M/54M 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4095 kbps 798 kbps
      Line Attenuation 52.5 db 30.2 db
      Noise Margin 12.4 db 8.0 db
      Last edited by booshy; 16-09-09 at 10:02 AM.

2. Advertisement
      joss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Adwick-le-Street
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HDmultiroom
      Thanks

Re: Connection speed dropped..DLM?

Hi, it is best to see out the up to 10 DLM process then phone sky. As you have already found out.

Your stats

You said that your line attenuation has jumped up from a previous 47db to 52.5 is very strange. Sometimes when using different routers they will report a different attenuation. 5.5db is a very big shift and needs investigation. Again, wait till the 10 days DLM are up or you will just be rejected again.
      Your SNR of 12.4 is healthy. It also gives scope for movement in your sync speed. I would say of a round + 1.0 to 1.5mb at a stable 7db SNR .

So give it a couple of days until your out of the DLM process, then your armed to contact sky. Who will more than likely manually configure your line if need be.

Thanks

Cheers for that Joss, I had thought as much but just wanted someone to check my stats. When they first started DLM the downstream line attenuation was all over the place, its now fairly stable at 52.5, Noise margin has just gone up to 13.1db, I'm about 3.4km from the exchange & really hope to get back to my steady 6meg, which i told SKY I was delighted with as all other ISPs told me a max of 2meg

Thanks again

Noise Margin 13.1 db 7.0 db

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Moving on to ADSL2+ does account for an increase in your line attentuation.

Thanks

Connection just got worse....

Hi all again,

Further to my query yesterday, (see bottom of this message) I just logged on & may stats are now as folllows, less than 1meg!! Can I do anything?? Any help/ comments as ever most apreciated
      Andy

Connection Speed 896 kbps 798 kbps
      Line Attenuation 52.5 db 30.3 db
      Noise Margin 29.0 db 7.5 db

Hi, it is best to see out the up to 10 DLM process then phone sky. As you have already found out.

Your stats

You said that your line attenuation has jumped up from a previous 47db to 52.5 is very strange. Sometimes when using different routers they will report a different attenuation. 5.5db is a very big shift and needs investigation. Again, wait till the 10 days DLM are up or you will just be rejected again.
      Your SNR of 12.4 is healthy. It also gives scope for movement in your sync speed. I would say of a round + 1.0 to 1.5mb at a stable 7db SNR .

So give it a couple of days until your out of the DLM process, then your armed to contact sky. Who will more than likely manually configure your line if need be.

Please stick to one thread, starting new threads on the same subject only causes confusion.
      Last edited by Isitme; 17-09-09 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Moved post

Thanks

Re: Connection just got worse....

Hi all, quick reply, my DLM finished, I rang SKY as connection was poor, they asked me to put new filter on & speeds crept up to 4meg. I explained that used to have 6-7meg & asked tier 1 to put meback on G.DMT. Fortunately a very helpful guy up in Newcastle put me through to CST.

They checked my line, put me back onto G.DMT (only of any use if you dont expect to go over 8meg) & i am now stable at 6720kbps

Stats are:
      Connection Speed 6720 kbps 992 kbps
      Line Attenuation 49.0 db 30.5 db
      Noise Margin 6.3 db 7.0 db

Happy days & thanks for the input