Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

broadband speed dropped whilst on 10 day phase

This is a discussion on broadband speed dropped whilst on 10 day phase within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi , this is my first post and I hope I can get some help . I connected to sky ...

alex jj is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: worcester
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

broadband speed dropped whilst on 10 day phase

Hi , this is my first post and I hope I can get some help .
      I connected to sky ulimited about one week ago and was geeting synched at just over 3 meg. about a few days ago it dropped to just over 2 meg . I appreciate that I am in the 10 day validation period but as my current setting has not moved for a few days and I suspect and fear it will remain on the lower setting permanently.my stats are as follows ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2042 kbps 721 kbps
      Line Attenuation 61 db 38 db
      Noise Margin 11 db 10 db

I appreciate I am a fair distance from the exchange but on 3 meg I was having no disconnection problems. also before i signed up they estimated 2.5 meg.Is there anything I can do ie change to GDMT ,reboot the router, change some settings or just wait for the 10 days to expire. Also interstingly when my speed dropped from 3 to 2 meg my noise margin figure increased from 6 to the current 11db . finally my line attenuation with my old provider was 57 DB on an up to 8 connection , now it has increased to 61 on an up to 20 meg connection.

2. Advertisement
      newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: broadband speed dropped whilst on 10 day phase

Leave everything alone.

Wait until the 10 day trial is over, if you are not happy after that then you can call Sky and ask them to adjust the speed.

By switching off the router you tell the Dynamic Line Management (DLM) that the speed it is working at is also not right and it will go to a lower speed.

It trials a speed for so long then tries another. Wait it out.
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

Thanks

Thanks , I will leave alone . It did reboot once after I had a power cut ( fuse tripped) . It was only off for five minutes . Wonder if it adjusted itself to the new lower setting then? It doesnt matter. Are sky receptive when you ring them up regarding such matters or do they just say thats the best you can get live with it.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alex jj View Post
      Thanks , I will leave alone . It did reboot once after I had a power cut ( fuse tripped) . It was only off for five minutes . Wonder if it adjusted itself to the new lower setting then? It doesnt matter. Are sky receptive when you ring them up regarding such matters or do they just say thats the best you can get live with it.
      It depends really. Obviously by the end of DLM if you're not happy with the speed then ring in and you'll get through to tier 1 tech support who just go through the motions on the physical set-up. If sky's DSL availability check (checks, and usually under estimates, what your line can handle) suggests 2.5mb and if DLM finishes you up at 2.5mb, then tier 1 will fob you off. If this does occur and you want to see if 3mb is possible again, then tell tier 1 you wish to have your 'max delays' reduced and wish to be passed to the 'customer solutions team'. You should be passed through to CST and your line reconfigured.

Thanks

Thanks will let you know the eventual outcome