Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Speed help

This is a discussion on Speed help within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Open a Command Prompt, type ping jolt.co.uk and hit enter. It will ping 4 times and give you an average ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Speed help

Open a Command Prompt, type ping jolt.co.uk and hit enter. It will ping 4 times and give you an average time. Do not trust sites like speedtest.net and speedio for ping times.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      TheDeputy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01255
      Broadband ISP: AOL
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Open a Command Prompt, type ping jolt.co.uk and hit enter. It will ping 4 times and give you an average time. Do not trust sites like speedtest.net and speedio for ping times.
      Alright, I got:

Minimum: 59ms
      Maximum: 62ms
      Average: 60ms

Thanks

That is not too fast, but it is not really slow. You can try what Neil suggests in Post #9 above but I doubt if it will make much difference to your page load times.

If you are running XP try doing the Tweak Test from the DrTCP link below. If it makes any recommendations download and run the application. There are recommendations for Vista, but they seldom help much.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That is not too fast, but it is not really slow. You can try what Neil suggests in Post #9 above but I doubt if it will make much difference to your page load times.

If you are running XP try doing the Tweak Test from the DrTCP link below. If it makes any recommendations download and run the application. There are recommendations for Vista, but they seldom help much.
      Nope, I'm on Vista. When neil says 'CST' does he mean Techinal Support? I'll try ringing them tomorrow.

Thanks

There is a couple of things you can try, first try using OpenDNS servers. find out how to here-
      https://www.opendns.com/start/

What browser are you using? If you are using IE, try Firefox or Google Chrome.

If you are using Firefox or IE8, try disabling your Add ons. One or more of these could be effecting your performance.

Whatever browser you are using try clearing your internet cache.

TomD

Useful Utilites

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Thanks

CST is the Customer Support Team (or Service Team), essentially they are the proper technical support team (tier 2) for Sky and are the only ones who can actually manually do anything with your connection. You'll have to go through the usual hoops with the tier 1 support bods but as I say if you mention you want your Max Delay reduced then they should put you on to CST who will able to look at your speed as well.

I'd also strongly recommend using the OpenDns servers as I've always found ISP dedicated servers to be fairly slow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neilmcl View Post
      CST is the Customer Support Team (or Service Team), essentially they are the proper technical support team (tier 2) for Sky and are the only ones who can actually manually do anything with your connection. You'll have to go through the usual hoops with the tier 1 support bods but as I say if you mention you want your Max Delay reduced then they should put you on to CST who will able to look at your speed as well.

I'd also strongly recommend using the OpenDns servers as I've always found ISP dedicated servers to be fairly slow.
      Ah, cheers for that, I'll ring them tomorrow.

Thanks isitme for the opendns link, does it improve your speed and overall connection?

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Thanks

Best chance to get through to CST is to ring them in the evening after 10:00pm.

Using OpenDns doesn't improve your speed or connection as such but it may improve the response times for browsing the internet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12