Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Connection Speed

This is a discussion on Connection Speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Fubar Im situated in New Malden, Surrey... I would really expect better connections speeds than this? What's ...

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Connection Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
      Im situated in New Malden, Surrey... I would really expect better connections speeds than this?
      What's that got do with anything! It's the distance you are from your local exchange and the condition of your line that's the important factors, not whether you live in the South. Are you trying to tell us that just because you live near London you should be getting better speeds that the rest of us around the country.

What is the name of your exchange?

2. Advertisement
      Fubar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Did you not read my first post? Im not saying because i live in the South or near London my connection should be better, im saying that when i lived in Wimbledon i was siutuated roughly the same distance from the exchange as i am now.... I dont see how you could confuse that with anyhting else?

Like i said in my first post, "according to your exchange checker im located 0.97 miles as the crow flies and 1.6 miles by road from my exchange"

Thanks

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
      Yip, they form the test socket.

Im situated in New Malden, Surrey... I would really expect better connections speeds than this? When i lived in Wimbledon i connected at 14mb and was about the same distance from the exchange, however i was with BE.

Should i give Sky a call? Or will i be waisting my time?

Thanks!
      A fault on your external phone line may have developed, causing higher resistance on the line and there for higher attenuation and slower speed.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Yip, they form the test socket.
      Try changing the filter you are using. If that does not give you an increase in the speed/noise margin, then it looks like you have a problem with your external line. If your voice line has no noise on it then it can be very difficult to get anything done.

What estimate did Sky give for your line speed? If you are getting that or better, you can phone them, but they will be reluctant to do anything. You can find the speed estimate for your line in the Broadband details of your MySky page.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Fubar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys, i have already tried a different filter, made no difference :/

Ill try my luck and give Sky a call, maybe ill strike lucky and get somewhere!

Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12