Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

disconnecting every 10-15 minutes for couple hours a day

This is a discussion on disconnecting every 10-15 minutes for couple hours a day within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I don't know what is going on with my sky broadband. Recently I have started to lose connection every ...

hagop is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

disconnecting every 10-15 minutes for couple hours a day

Hi
      I don't know what is going on with my sky broadband. Recently I have started to lose connection every 10-15 minutes for 3-4 hours. I don't know if it is router problem. I see only that my internet light is turning orange when the connection drops. After couple of hours of dropping connection, suddenly everything is ok again and there is no disconnections for half a day or more. It is like that since last Friday. That's my stats:

Sagem F@ST 2504 [Sky Firmware]

PortStatusTxPktsRxPktsCollisionsTx B/sRx B/sUp Time
      WANPPPoA263128230000:11:27
      LAN 124644915500000:59:57
      WLAN 000000:00:00
      ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
      Connection Speed6140 kbps796 kbps
      Line Attenuation26.0 db12.4 db
      Noise Margin14.1 db14.0 db

2. Advertisement
      neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: disconnecting every 10-15 minutes for couple hours a day

It sounds like you may be going through the much discussed DLM (line training) process, which can take up to 10 days or more. Stick with it for a while and if you're still getting disconnections, and more importantly don't see an increase in the connections speed you currently have then contact Sky.

TBH I would have expected a higher noise margin for that combination of speed and line attentuation, there may be an issue with your internal telephone wiring but there's nothing to be done yet until DLM has completed. Just make a note of where your master socket is and how many other phone sockets you have in the property and what you've got connected to them all, for now.

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hagop View Post
      Hi
      I don't know what is going on with my sky broadband. Recently I have started to lose connection every 10-15 minutes for 3-4 hours. I don't know if it is router problem. I see only that my internet light is turning orange when the connection drops. After couple of hours of dropping connection, suddenly everything is ok again and there is no disconnections for half a day or more. It is like that since last Friday. That's my stats:

Sagem F@ST 2504 [Sky Firmware]

PortStatusTxPktsRxPktsCollisionsTx B/sRx B/sUp Time
      WANPPPoA263128230000:11:27
      LAN 124644915500000:59:57
      WLAN 000000:00:00
      ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
      Connection Speed6140 kbps796 kbps
      Line Attenuation26.0 db12.4 db
      Noise Margin14.1 db14.0 db
      If you have one, connect to the test socket behind the master socket faceplate and post the stats from there also, link below in my sig with details.

It does look like there is some noise on the line somewhere, try test socket to make sure it is not internal wiring causing the problems.

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

If he's in the middle of DLM then I'd strongly advise to leave the router where it is for now.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The fact that the upstream has not moved could mean that this is not a DLM problem. This seems to be the first thing to change.

As the OP says this just started recently, probably means the line has been under-performing from the start. With his attenuation he should have had the full 16Mb, it looks like his line is capped. I agree with Andy, he should plug into the Test socket and report the stats from there. The line is syncing so low at the moment, compared to the attenuation, that it will not make much difference He should also check when the faceplate is off, whether all of his other extensions are dead. A phone connected alarm should also be mentioned if he has one.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

hagop is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi
      Unfortunately I don't have test socket, but after couple of calls to sky they told me that they started to test my line since 4th of September, because of my low speed. So I think it is it, thanks for help.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As you have an old type socket you might benefit from removing the ring wire from terminal 3 on the back of the face plate. This can cause a lot of interference.
      Scroll to the bottom of this page.
      ::. Kitz - Low SNR Margin & problems .::

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.