Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Intermittent Speed Issues and connection drop-out

This is a discussion on Intermittent Speed Issues and connection drop-out within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am currently subscribed to the Sky Unlimited broadband package and have, until recently, be able to sync at approx ...

dee4life2005 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Intermittent Speed Issues and connection drop-out

I am currently subscribed to the Sky Unlimited broadband package and have, until recently, be able to sync at approx 11MB - 11.5MB. At this speed the noise margin stayed pretty much level at 7.0db at all times of the day with a +/- 0.5db variance.

Recently however, i've been getting random connection dropouts and when it re-syncs i`m getting speeds of 2MB or less! This usually lasts a day or two and can go away for weeks at a time before re-appearing.

Currently my stats, from the BT test socket are as follows ::

I`ve been running Router Stats Lite (found from a link in these forums) and for the last two hours the noise margin history is as follows ::

As i`m getting similar symptoms from both the master BT test socket and the socket normally used for my router (on an extension) i`m guessing that it's possibly an external line fault (or at the exchange).

In writing this email i`ve just noticed something ... the stats show a line attenuation of 31db, but i`m sure when the noise margin is stable with an 11MB connection that this value is either 30.0db or 30.5db - not sure if this is of any significance ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

2. Advertisement
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Intermittent Speed Issues and connection drop-out

Make sure than any wires connected to terminal 3 on the back of the master faceplate are disconnected as it is not needed, then post your stats from your normal postion to compare stats.

You could be capped, it could be DLM has found a problem on the line and capped the speed down, if you have extensions it would benefit from using a filtered faceplate.

http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/ca...roducts_id=105

Exchange:
      Thanks

When I log in to the 'My SKY' area on the sky website it says that no line testing is being performed. To confirm I phoned sky and they aren't performing DLM on my line.

When the noise margin goes up to 22db+, if i manually reboot the router it's jump back up to the 11MB ... and it`ll work for a minute or so, and then the noise margin drops back down to 0.0db and then re-syncing at the lower speed again.

I`ll check that no wire is connected to terminal 3 on the master faceplate when I get home, and if that doesn't work i`ll get me one of those filtered face plates just in case it's the micro-filters that are causing the problem (i've tried 3 but they all behave the same - so i kind of ruled that out).

If removing the terminal 3 wire and using a filtered face plate doesn't make any difference is it then likely to be a line/exchange fault that I should be getting in touch with BT about?

Thanks for the help

Steve

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dee4life2005 View Post
      If removing the terminal 3 wire and using a filtered face plate doesn't make any difference is it then likely to be a line/exchange fault that I should be getting in touch with BT about?
      No, do not contact BT unless it is affecting your voice line (without the broadband plugged in). Contact sky, get a ticket raised and then if the fault isn't found by CST, it'll be logged to BT.

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dee4life2005 View Post
      When I log in to the 'My SKY' area on the sky website it says that no line testing is being performed. To confirm I phoned sky and they aren't performing DLM on my line.

When the noise margin goes up to 22db+, if i manually reboot the router it's jump back up to the 11MB ... and it`ll work for a minute or so, and then the noise margin drops back down to 0.0db and then re-syncing at the lower speed again.

I`ll check that no wire is connected to terminal 3 on the master faceplate when I get home, and if that doesn't work i`ll get me one of those filtered face plates just in case it's the micro-filters that are causing the problem (i've tried 3 but they all behave the same - so i kind of ruled that out).

Thanks for the help

Steve
      It sounds like noise, but if it is house wiring or outside wiring you will find out later, if you have extensions then there should be a terminal 3 wire if you have never looked before.

joss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Adwick-le-Street
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HDmultiroom
      Thanks

Perhaps the OP might have access to a different router to try??????? just to disprove router issues?

jock23 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Southport
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

I have had the same problems starting today. normally 12mb but just now if I reset the router it will jump to 13mb, then drop down and down until it disconnects.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I was signed up to broadband prior to joining sky and I purchased a router (the same one as sky use, i.e. netgear dg834gt) to replace the plug in usb modem thingy that looked like a giant mouse (i was with pipex).

I`ve managed to obtain the username / password from my sky router so i`ll give those settings a try in my other router.

I did notice that when I got home tonight that I couldn't make or receive calls, and there is some crackling on the line. I`m pretty sure this wasn't there yesterday - although it may have been. I`ve tried the phone in the BT master test socket and the crackling and inability to make/receive calls is there as well - although the broadband still works - although not very stable.

It does seem to be like it's more of a line problem, but i`ll give the other router a try just to rule it out. If that doesn't fix it, i`ll get on the mobile to sky customer service to raise a ticket.

Thanks
      Steve

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you have noise on the voice line using the Test socket, then there is a fault on your line. You should call your phone rental provider and report that you have noise on your line Do not mention broadband or you will probably be referred to your ISP. Noise on the voice line will effect broadband, get that fixed before you try to improve your broadband or you will be just wasting your time and Sky supports.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

An update.

I've just had the visit from the BT Engineer who found a fault on the line into the house and have the replaced the relevant cable. I now have no audible crackling on the voice line.

I expected that when I rebooted my router it would re-sync at the 11+ Mbit that it used to. But it doesnt appear to even after several reboots.

The stats i`m now getting are as follows :

note: I`ve been monitoring the connection for about an hour and the noise margin is staying at a stable 18.3db - 18.6db.

Any ideas ? Is this one for customer services, or it just that my connection is now undergoing DLM or something - can't see any indication of that when I log into MySky.

Thanks,
      Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast