Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

problem with netgear router/wirless connection

This is a discussion on problem with netgear router/wirless connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All I have just set my sky broadband up with my netgear router and dell laptop. The speed and ...

carl29 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

problem with netgear router/wirless connection

Hi All

I have just set my sky broadband up with my netgear router and dell laptop.

The speed and connection is great when i am near the router ( In the living room of my flat) but as soon as i go into another room the wireless signal strength go's down really quick and wont connect to the net. I tried my laptop in my bedroom which isnt that far away but it wasnt connecting.

I asked on another forum should i change my router to the channel sky suggest but i am still not sure how to do it ?

Someone told me it could be interference from a neighbour's WiFi and to download inSSIDer or should i just phone sky ?

Just wanted to ask peoples advice on here and see if this is the right action to take.

Cheers folks

2. Advertisement
      neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: problem with netgear router/wirless connection

Download from here http://www.metageek.net/products/ins...ducts/inssider and run to see what channels are being heavily used.

Log in to your router on http://192.168.0.1 username/password = admin/sky. Click on Wireless Settings and change the Channel from Auto to 13 and work backwards.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neilmcl View Post
      Download from here http://www.metageek.net/products/ins...ducts/inssider and run to see what channels are being heavily used.

Log in to your router on http://192.168.0.1 username/password = admin/sky. Click on Wireless Settings and change the Channel from Auto to 13 and work backwards.
      Thanks for the advice. I tried both of the above.

After i downloaded inssider i looked what channels other people where using in my building and changed my router to some of the numbers that where not being used but it didnt make any difference, once i left the room the strength of signal went right down on inssider.

Where can i go from here ? i thought the signal would be strong enough to reach other rooms. I asked advice to get a decent wireless card in my laptop to avoid problems like this.

Maybe its the way my flat is built ? my dad has the same router in his house and seems to get a decent signal in most rooms.

Would it be worth calling sky ?

metageektrent is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi. I'm here because of a google alert for inSSIDer. inSSIDer is a great tool for determining where interference might occur from other wireless access points. But wireless troubleshooting goes much more in depth. A few tips:

• Make sure the antennas are facing vertically. The signal makes a donut shape around the antenna. You want it to spread horizontally, not vertically.
      • Do not have the device covered.
      • watch out for metal beams or thick flat walls (multipath)

Sometimes the clearest channel is not the best option. There could be a cordless phone, a baby monitor, or a wireless camera operating on channel 13.
      Browse Recording Library | MetaGeek

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Maybe its the way my flat is built ?
      That is a possibility. Some walls are faced with foil backed plasterboard, which I imagine could stop wireless signals dead in their tracks. This is typically used to line bathroom and kitchen walls(prevents condensation penetrating the fabric of the building) but can often be found on all walls. There is not much you can do about it, apart from using a Homeplug network.

Another thing to check is that your router is stood on its end. This not only spreads the wireless signal better, but is better for the health of the router as it will run cooler.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

insider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01592
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

It could be down to the Wireless adapter in the laptop. Some of these are unbranded generic cards which don't have a great deal of power to them. My wife has a Toshiba laptop and has hug problems with wireless signal when she heads up the stairs. My son on the other hand has a cheap run of the mill laptop with a wireless USB adapter and gets superb signal in the same room upstairs.

Sometimes its not the router. Make sure your router is 3ft from a digital phone base as well. Oh, one other thing home cinema systems with wireless speakers wreak havoc as they use PCMCIA cards which belt out some amount of power signal.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That is a possibility. Some walls are faced with foil backed plasterboard, which I imagine could stop wireless signals dead in their tracks. This is typically used to line bathroom and kitchen walls(prevents condensation penetrating the fabric of the building) but can often be found on all walls. There is not much you can do about it, apart from using a Homeplug network.

Another thing to check is that your router is stood on its end. This not only spreads the wireless signal better, but is better for the health of the router as it will run cooler.
      Thanks for the comments everyone.

I have a micro filter going into the phone socket at the wall and another micro filter on the phone extension at the other end as i read that cordless phones can interfere.

sorry but what do you mean by the router stood on its end ? Its on the stand that comes provided and i have put it on a table close to the phone socket as the cable wont reach very far. My flat is an old converted house so maybe its that.

Would sky be able to do anything there end ?

Do sky provide routers with with better wireless signals or do they just issue everyone the same. Could they adjust there settings for my router ?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
      It could be down to the Wireless adapter in the laptop. Some of these are unbranded generic cards which don't have a great deal of power to them. My wife has a Toshiba laptop and has hug problems with wireless signal when she heads up the stairs. My son on the other hand has a cheap run of the mill laptop with a wireless USB adapter and gets superb signal in the same room upstairs.

Sometimes its not the router. Make sure your router is 3ft from a digital phone base as well. Oh, one other thing home cinema systems with wireless speakers wreak havoc as they use PCMCIA cards which belt out some amount of power signal.
      My laptop is a dell inspiron and the wire less card is 1515 n. I asked advice about the wireless card and my friend said the cards with n at the end are the most recent with best results.

The router is on a table next to my plasma tv, sky box, and dvd player but my cordless phone is the other side of the room (probably 3 feet).

Cant think what else to do. At least its a great signal and speed in my living room !

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

sorry but what do you mean by the router stood on its end ? Its on the stand that comes provided
      Thats OK then, you are using it properly. Some place them on flat, which can cause problems.

Would sky be able to do anything there end ?
      Very unlikely. They may tell you to change the channel in the router, but that is about all. Unless you are using an adapter purchased from them, they will not do much about wireless problems.
      Do sky provide routers with with better wireless signals or do they just issue everyone the same. Could they adjust there settings for my router ?
      No and No, all they can do is tell you to change the channel.
      My laptop is a dell inspiron and the wire less card is 1515 n. I asked advice about the wireless card and my friend said the cards with n at the end are the most recent with best results.
      Are you using the Dell wireless manager? If so try using the Windows one, that could make a difference.
      If you have a friend with a USB adapter, borrow it from them and see if there is any difference in the signal.

Other than that all I can suggest is that you get a Homeplug network. These are available with wireless access points at the transmit end which are useful for laptops. They are expensive.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.