Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

slow internet & router resetting itself

This is a discussion on slow internet & router resetting itself within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; For the past couple of weeks, I have been experiencing pages loading really slowly - if at all, but also ...

kiwifruit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

slow internet & router resetting itself

For the past couple of weeks, I have been experiencing pages loading really slowly - if at all, but also the wireless router seems to 'reset' itself. Iam unaware this is happening until the page thats loading comes up as a 'sky broadband' page and tells me that im not connected to the internet at this time When I look over to the router, the power green light and another one is lit and then theres an amber one - usually there is 3 green ones. Im sorry Im not more informative -nor do I know how to do those speed test things others post here for help, but Im hoping someone can enlighten me as to whats happening. Thank you in advance

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: slow internet & router resetting itself

Well from what you've typed, you're losing sync (the internet [ @ symbol ] light is flashing amber). This could be down to numerous reasons, but it's best to start with the physical set-up within the house. If you can answer the following:

1. How many telephone sockets do you have in the house?
      2. How many of these are in use?
      3. What do you have plugged into the sockets in use? (Be as descriptive as possible - easiest way is to type the following: microfilter > phone line etc.)
      4. The 'ADSL' cable (the cable going from the back of the router into the filter); what colour is that? Is it a short light grey cable or is it a long extension lead that sky did not supply?
      5. Check the 'filters' you have do say 'phone and modem' on them (or if they're not sky supplied, at least check they say adsl or filter on them) and reply back if you have any blank white two way splitters (they're blank white boxes kind of like filters that say 'sky tv do not unplug').
      6. Any crackles/pops/static whilst you're on the landline telephone?

Edit:

7. Do you have a test socket in the house? If you're not sure, then look for the master socket (it should usually have a BT/openreach logo in the top left of the faceplate) and check if the screws are in the bottom half with a split in the middle.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There is a good chance that your line is undergoing DLM training and has been switched to ADSL2+. On a long line this can cause frequent resyncs, usually to a slower speed. Check if anything is reported in the Broadband Details section of your MySky page.

As well as answering User05's questions can you post your stats, from your normal position and from the test socket, click link below.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for replying and for your help User05..right will try and answer as best I can

1. There are 2 BT lines in the house -one down one upstairs. Also 2 from another cable company few years back - cant remember for life of me the name of them !!

2. The only socket in use is the BT one downstairs. This is the one that telephone/tv/router is connected to.

3/4/5. In the socket is a white box which has 2 leads coming out of it. The white box has ADSL written on it. It has a 'e' symbol with modem underneath it, the other one has phone handset picture and 'phone' written under symbol. I guessing this is standard. Out of the phone one is another kind of connectiont thing that has written on it 'sky tv do not unplug' and that has 2 other connection type things on it. The phone is plugged into one of those, and the main lead from that goes somewhere behind the tv - sky + box maybe???
      The modem lead goes to the router which is a Sagem (black thin thing). These are all as the sky guy put them in -except for the phone one when we got a new phone.

6. no crackles pops that I have noticed.

7. We have a bigger socket on the outside wall (inside) near the front door. This is sealed. Would this be what you refer to as a test socket? It appears to just have a white face panel and no slot thing to put a connection into?? Can see if anything is written on it.

I hope ive answered these enough for you to get some idea. I appreciate your help. Thank you again.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There is a good chance that your line is undergoing DLM training and has been switched to ADSL2+. On a long line this can cause frequent resyncs, usually to a slower speed. Check if anything is reported in the Broadband Details section of your MySky page.

As well as answering User05's questions can you post your stats, from your normal position and from the test socket, click link below.
      Sorry to appear abit thick is it the red link at the bottom of your post??? Thank you for your help.

CHR15T1E is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Elmswell
      Broadband ISP: ADSL24
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Yep, click the red link

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kiwifruit View Post
      Thanks for replying and for your help User05..right will try and answer as best I can

1. There are 2 BT lines in the house -one down one upstairs. Also 2 from another cable company few years back - cant remember for life of me the name of them !!

2. The only socket in use is the BT one downstairs. This is the one that telephone/tv/router is connected to.

3/4/5. In the socket is a white box which has 2 leads coming out of it. The white box has ADSL written on it. It has a 'e' symbol with modem underneath it, the other one has phone handset picture and 'phone' written under symbol. I guessing this is standard. Out of the phone one is another kind of connectiont thing that has written on it 'sky tv do not unplug' and that has 2 other connection type things on it. The phone is plugged into one of those, and the main lead from that goes somewhere behind the tv - sky + box maybe???
      The modem lead goes to the router which is a Sagem (black thin thing). These are all as the sky guy put them in -except for the phone one when we got a new phone.

6. no crackles pops that I have noticed.

7. We have a bigger socket on the outside wall (inside) near the front door. This is sealed. Would this be what you refer to as a test socket? It appears to just have a white face panel and no slot thing to put a connection into?? Can see if anything is written on it.

I hope ive answered these enough for you to get some idea. I appreciate your help. Thank you again.
      Solid reply.

Ok, your physical set-up is spot on. Seems the sky tv engineer didn't mess up the physical set-up for once then. Just to confirm, as I did read your previous post about 2 years ago stating you'd bought a 5 metre long ADSL cable, are you using the sky supplied ADSL cable at the moment or the extension? If it is an extension, it's more than likely degraded over prolonged use (they're not made for dsl). If it's not the sky supplied dsl cable, if you give sky a call on [08442 410515] and suggest you need a replacement telephone cable. They'll send it out free of charge and be with you in 3-5 days. Alternatively, you could take a trip to a pc store and look for the shortest adsl cable available to rule out that the extension isn't causing the problem.

If you are using the sky supplied dsl cable, then you could swap over the microfilter you have in use (that white box with 'adsl modem and phone' on it).

If you don't have access to a spare dsl cable and/or filter, then do as Isitme suggested and take your stats from when the internet is working. One set of stats from the usual socket you're in and one from the test socket. The socket you're in should have two screws in the bottom half and a horizontal split in the middle. If you unscrew the screws and plug into the socket port to the right hand side then post your stats from there.

To get the stats:

1. Open an internet browser
      2. In the address bar type '192.168.0.1'
      3. It will ask for a username and password. Username = admin, Pass = sky
      4. There will be three buttons at the bottom - one of which is show statistics. Click show statistics
      4. Copy and paste what you have in there (from the master and also the test socket as suggested)

Any problems, post back.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CHR15T1E View Post
      Yep, click the red link
      thanks hopefully ive done this right -looks gobbledegook to me

Pinging 192.168.0.3 [192.168.0.3] with 32 bytes of data:
      Reply from: 192.168.0.3 bytes=32 in 0 ms TTL=128

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kiwifruit View Post
      thanks hopefully ive done this right -looks gobbledegook to me

Pinging 192.168.0.3 [192.168.0.3] with 32 bytes of data:
      Ah, don't worry about that one. That must be the ping tool in the signature. This is what you're looking for regarding the test socket:

Sky User - How to test your Master Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Solid reply.

Ok, your physical set-up is spot on. Seems the sky tv engineer didn't mess up the physical set-up for once then. Just to confirm, as I did read your previous post about 2 years ago stating you'd bought a 5 metre long ADSL cable, are you using the sky supplied ADSL cable at the moment or the extension? If it is an extension, it's more than likely degraded over prolonged use (they're not made for dsl). If it's not the sky supplied dsl cable, if you give sky a call on [08442 410515] and suggest you need a replacement telephone cable. They'll send it out free of charge and be with you in 3-5 days. Alternatively, you could take a trip to a pc store and look for the shortest adsl cable available to rule out that the extension isn't causing the problem.

If you are using the sky supplied dsl cable, then you could swap over the microfilter you have in use (that white box with 'adsl modem and phone' on it).

If you don't have access to a spare dsl cable and/or filter, then do as Isitme suggested and take your stats from when the internet is working. One set of stats from the usual socket you're in and one from the test socket. The socket you're in should have two screws in the bottom half and a horizontal split in the middle. If you unscrew the screws and plug into the socket port to the right hand side then post your stats from there.

To get the stats:

1. Open an internet browser
      2. In the address bar type '192.168.0.1'
      3. It will ask for a username and password. Username = admin, Pass = sky
      4. There will be three buttons at the bottom - one of which is show statistics. Click show statistics
      4. Copy and paste what you have in there (from the master and also the test socket as suggested)

Any problems, post back.
      oh dear the 5m cable...wasnt i having a wee paddy over that!! No, all the cables, leads, plugs etc that I have are all Sky installed ones now. The socket out by the front door is indeed the test socket but im not sure what I plug in there (yes you can laugh lol)... do I take out the filter box thingy from where it is and somehow get it all to reach out to the test socket?? or do I just take out the router lead and carry the router etc out there?? Anyway have followed your other link and heres what I got-
      Router StatisticsSystem Up Time: 4:39:44

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 14756 17418 0 48 0 3:08:29
      LAN 63 0 0 0 0 4:39:44
      WLAN 46548 36136 0 0 62 4:39:19
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10169 kbps 554 kbps
      Line Attenuation 34.5 db 17.8 db
      Noise Margin 4.8 db 13.0 db

thanks again...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast