Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

slow internet & router resetting itself

This is a discussion on slow internet & router resetting itself within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok, you can see there that your noise margin is dropping to 4.8. Anywhere beneath 7 is usually where you ...

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: slow internet & router resetting itself

Ok, you can see there that your noise margin is dropping to 4.8. Anywhere beneath 7 is usually where you start seeing some drop-outs, most probably down to 'errors' being built on the line whilst the internet is connected in your case.

Just before you connect up to the test socket, just confirm you are actually in the master socket? I know you said you only have one socket downstairs, but the socket you are in is the one by the front door, yeah? If so, then unscrew the faceplate off and behind to the right hand side you'll have another socket port. Put the filter with the adsl cable going to the router into the socket and stick up the stats you get from there.

2. Advertisement
      kiwifruit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

User05... no the socket by the front door has nothing in it but has that split face plate with a connection hole thing in the centre of the bottom half. The tv/phone/router is plugged into a socket in the lounge, which is about 1.5m from the one by the front door but with a wall separating - does that make sense?? Thats why im not sure how or what Im meant to plug into the one by the front door... I appreciate your help but if im driving you mad - just say so wont you !!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kiwifruit View Post
      User05... no the socket by the front door has nothing in it but has that split face plate with a connection hole thing in the centre of the bottom half. The tv/phone/router is plugged into a socket in the lounge, which is about 1.5m from the one by the front door but with a wall separating - does that make sense?? Thats why im not sure how or what Im meant to plug into the one by the front door... I appreciate your help but if im driving you mad - just say so wont you !!!
      Ok, you're going to need to plug a filter with the adsl cable and the router into the master socket in the hallway (don't bother screwing the faceplate off at this point as it may not be needed) and then re-post the stats from the master socket.

kiwifruit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Ok, you're going to need to plug a filter with the adsl cable and the router into the master socket in the hallway (don't bother screwing the faceplate off at this point as it may not be needed) and then re-post the stats from the master socket.
      Ok, I can do that I wont do it tonight, as I will disrupt others tv viewing etc, so will do it in the morning and post the stats again. Thanks again for your help and patience

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok, I can do that I wont do it tonight, as I will disrupt others tv viewing etc, so will do it in the morning and post the stats again. Thanks again for your help and patience
      No problemos. You'll perhaps see your noise margin shoot up (that's a good thing). If you don't see that happen when you take the stats from the master (note them down) and plug into the test socket and post with both stats.

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You can safely remove the cable with the Sky TV written on it as it wont have any effect on others viewing the TV, tbh, even though it says do not remove, if you only have the one Sky box you can remove it altogether as Sky are not likely to do anything about it.

You need to remove the lower half of the Master Socket faceplate in the hallway to reveal the test socket and plug just your router via its micro filter into this, then repost your router stats. While you're at have a look at the back of the faceplace you've removed to see which wires are connected. If there's a wire attached to connector no. 3 (probably an orange wire), remove it and this should improve your noise margin no end. Put the faceplate back on and post the stats from here as well for comparison.

This will be useful: How to remove the ring wire from your master socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As Neil says, removing the TV plug will make no difference to the TV. It is only used when you want to play certain games or order box office movies/sport. You may also want to try your stats with the TV plug removed. Some digiboxes create interference, even when a filter is used.

When you remove the faceplate of the Master socket, check around all the other sockets you have and make sure they are dead. If they are not, your wiring is incorrect and should be fixed before you go any further.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12