Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Optimisation making Broadband Vey Slow

This is a discussion on Sky Optimisation making Broadband Vey Slow within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sky broadband users might be interested to know this and I am passing it on because I have spent a ...

poor1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Optimisation making Broadband Vey Slow

Sky broadband users might be interested to know this and I am passing it on because I have spent a lot of time on the phone to Sky before I discovered what the problem was.

Yesterday my Sky broadband slowed down to a snail's pace and I discovered that Sky started currently running what they call "DLM" yesterday, which coincided with my Broadband slowing down. DLM is apparently is optimising my particular connection and it is a process that will take several days and it is part of Sky' program to increase broadband speeds generally.

Each time I spoke to the Sky call centre I noticed the Broadband speed increased and when they went off line is went back to a slow speed. I eventually discovered that whenever the telephone was off the hook, whether it was connected to anywhere or not, the broad band speed increased immediately. Sky tell me that this is normal whilst the optimisation is taking place but I can have this optimisation taken off and return to my previous very acceptable speeds or tolerate this for a few days until the optimisation is complete, when the speeds may be better than they were before.

Hope this save someone a lot of wasted time trying to figure what is wrong with their connection. Pity Sky don't keep their customers informed. There must be hundreds, if not thousands of customer wondering what is wrong with their connection,

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Sky Optimisation making Broadband Vey Slow

this is NOT normal and is a line fault of some description...have you got a test socket? if so, plug into there with just a filter and attach your router and phone. if the issue is fixed then it's the setup in your house. if not, then it's likely to be an issue with the filters, router or external line...

regarding the DLM, you checked your Sky email recently? as everyone has had an email sent to them if they're an existing customer (pre-22nd June). all new customers going through DLM be default...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Sky broadband users might be interested to know this and I am passing it on because I have spent a lot of time on the phone to Sky before I discovered what the problem was.
      If you had spent some time on the forum you would have saved yourself some time on the phone. The forum is full of references to DLM.

As IANTE says, what you describe it not due to DLM, but a fault on your line.

As it looks like you will need some help, I have moved your post to a more appropriate section.
      Last edited by Isitme; 07-09-09 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Moved post.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Could you tell me where it has been moved to please - I can't see it!.

I find it too much of a coincidence that I should have this problem on the day they started the optimisation and this advice came straight from the Sky Helpline.

Thanks

Post # 1 in this thread, you have replied in the thread, so I must assume you have found it.

As IANTE points out -
      Each time I spoke to the Sky call centre I noticed the Broadband speed increased and when they went off line is went back to a slow speed. I eventually discovered that whenever the telephone was off the hook, whether it was connected to anywhere or not, the broad band speed increased immediately. Sky tell me that this is normal whilst the optimisation is taking place
      This is not normal and whoever told you that is simply fobbing you off. This indicates a fault on your line, do as IANTE suggests.

It may also help if you post your stats from the normal position and from the Test sockeet, link below.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You are right. Plugged into the master socket it is working fine. I need to discover where the line fault is. Many thanks.
      If Sky are to be believed that the optimisation started on the same day as the problem arose it is too much of a coincidence that both things happended together.

Thanks

It is not a coincidence. ADSL2+ requires a cleaner, ie, quieter line to work properly. Small faults that do not show up much with G.DMT are magnified by ADSL2+ and result in a poorer performance. If you have a Test socket, then fitting and using a filtered faceplate will improve your connection.

XTE-2005 Filtered Master Faceplate - ADSL Nation

TomD

Useful Utilites