Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Please..help.., broadband disconnected

This is a discussion on Please..help.., broadband disconnected within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; found this website today and discovered that there were 1 or 2 that have the same problem that I currently ...

skyuser007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Please..help.., broadband disconnected

found this website today and discovered that there were 1 or 2 that have the same problem that I currently am facing.

problem started abt 2 months ago, mainly disconnection and reduction in speed. but recently it has got so bad that the connection would remain cut off for a few days.

just 2 days ago, I noticed that there is static noise on the phone line 'only' when the broadband is connected, and the only way to reconnect the broadband now is to dial a random number and leave it unhooked. (as u can c, it's a pain to go online)

btw, i have done the basic checks, tested the master/slave/extension socket, changed numerous microfilters, unplugged all telephony equipment, I even borrowed my neighbour's sky router to test the line.

the result is the same.

I am now beginning to suspect tht the phone line is faulty.

someone mentioned abt 'high output fault' or a breakage on the copper wire between my home and the exchange. (unfortunately, very little follow up information is available here).

Can anyone shed some light in this, pls.

thanks

Meree

p/s I have attached some stats below
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please..help.., broadband disconnected-picture-1.jpg   Please..help.., broadband disconnected-picture-2.png  
      Last edited by skyuser007; 05-09-09 at 08:36 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Please..help.., broadband disconnected

You need to contact who ever you paid the line rental to and report a noisy voice line.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy17 View Post
      You need to contact who ever you paid the line rental to and report a noisy voice line.
      This will result in a very hefty bill by BTO. This is only if the PSTN is noisy without the router plugged in.

You need to contact sky and inform them about the problem and get a ticket raised to CST. If you've already tried a different router, then a BTO engineer will probably be booked by sky as the next action.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      This will result in a very hefty bill by BTO. This is only if the PSTN is noisy without the router plugged in.

You need to contact sky and inform them about the problem and get a ticket raised to CST. If you've already tried a different router, then a BTO engineer will probably be booked by sky as the next action.

what's a BTO? PSTN? I think I know what CST is.

thanks

do you mean I have no choice but to pay BT the 160 call out charge?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

BTO - British Telecom Openreach (the people who own the phone lines)

PSTN - public switched telephone network (your phone line)

CST - Customer Soloutions Team (Sky's higher support level)

As advised, you need to speak to Sky first because if the problem only exists when the router is plugged in then chances are you have either a faulty router, lead, connection or ADSL filter, they should be able to diagnose and sort this out.

If the problem is there all the time, even without the router connected then you have a line fault and will need to speak to the company you pay your line rental to. But speak to Sky first.

If you have a test socket, plug a normal phone into it and see if the problem still exists, if it doesn't then the problem is withing your property and equipment, BT will charge you if you call them out and this is the case.

You can find the Test Socket details below in my signature.

Exchange:
      Thanks

very grateful for all yr replies,

I hav received a brand new router fr sky yesterday.

hav since changed all the leads, microfilters in the house, tested the test socket.

plug a normal phone into the test socket and again the static noise only arises when the new router tries to make connection. if I put the phone down, the connection will drop out after a few seconds later.

and the slow download speed also persist when/if connections are successful.

nothing has changed in the house so I do not know why this problem occurs. the property I am living is less than 15 yrs old.

someone said tht this occur because there might be a breakage along the copper wire somewhere between the house n the exchange. Connection is only successful when the phone is dialled because a electric current is then passed on and will enable the broadband signal to jump over the gap. when the phone is put back, the current ceases and hence the broadband connection is dropped.

well, I am no engineer and I am not sure how true this is.

if I know I need to pay BTO to repair the line, I might as well transfer all my service to Virgin media.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Call Sky BB tech, if it's only occuring when the router is on and you are sure all is well on your side then the fault is Skys to sort. If you plug a phone into the test socket and all other sockets have no dial tone then your side of the line is ok, if you then put a filter onto the test socket and the router and phone into that and the problem starts then as long as you change the filter you have done all you can. Plug into the test socket with phone and router (power router off for the call) and ring sky tier 1.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Update,

BTO engineer came this morning and sorted out the problem in 1hr.

the cause was a corroded connection along the line outside the house.

he reconnected the cables with the same small plastic enclosure.

and installed a updated BT faceplate for free too (one tht does not need a microfilter plugged in)

hope this info helps.