Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

still waiting on faster 20mb upgrade

This is a discussion on still waiting on faster 20mb upgrade within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Kurby Your speeds are still better than some peoples I got 1mb less than you download and ...

uk-guy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: cambuslang 0141
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: still waiting on faster 20mb upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Kurby View Post
      Your speeds are still better than some peoples I got 1mb less than you download and about 100kbps less upload, and I can use my ps3 and game online with no problems at all
      the fact of the matter is that DLM is a rubbish way of configuring BB lines and the way new faster speeds have been promised through such a process is flawed. for
      most people to see anything like 20mb connection i am afraid no amount of tinkering with the line is going to get anything like whats in there advertising only
      FTTC implementation will see this country dragged into the fast lane in terms of
      broadband speeds capable of downloading HD video at decent rate without waiting
      playstation 3 launches its video store later this year i really doubt most peoples connections from sky will be sufficient enough to handle these x264 files without a delay all these services being put in place and we as a country do not have the infrastructure to take advantage of these services and sky is lagging way behind.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

ALL ISPs use DLM, so it's hardly rubbish...do you actually know how long it'd take to manually configure all lines?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      ALL ISPs use DLM, so it's hardly rubbish...do you actually know how long it'd take to manually configure all lines?
      How long would it take.

Thanks

well, 3 minutes on the however many million Sky customers...quite a while!! lol!!

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Strange that other ISPs seem to be able to implement their version of DLM better than Sky.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Strange that other ISPs seem to be able to implement their version of DLM better than Sky.
      I think the reason for that is that they have implemented theirs over a long period, Sky are trying to do thousands every week. When TalkTalk first started they had horrendous problems, which are now behind them. Another reason could be the Mode being used. Some don't use ADSL2+ and others use only that. Sky's main problem seems to be moving perfectly stable G.DMT connections on to ADSL2+. They would have been much better deciding to leave lines with a high attenuation on G.DMT, they should know that very long lines do not perform well with ADSL2+, even if the theory says they should.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dsldude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

DLM is there to paper over the cracks in peoples poor internal setups its
      there to reduce the amount of people calling to complain about dropouts
      etc, and save sky some cash in fixing things or giving advice on best practices.

In my opinion its overkill why not just do what most isp's do and just set a default SNR on the dslam of 6-7db and even enable SRA so the router maintains highest speed and stability dynamically over the day, but no we have to have this big brother style control system just for the benefit of the monkeys who cant fit a filter or sort there internal wiring out.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

In my opinion its overkill why not just do what most isp's do and just set a default SNR on the dslam of 6-7db and even enable SRA so the router maintains highest speed and stability dynamically over the day, but no we have to have this big brother style control system just for the benefit of the monkeys who cant fit a filter or sort there internal wiring out.
      Couldn't agree more! That's what routers are designed to do, why not let them do it. If someone phones up about drop outs, which will happen on a line with a very large noise swing, then is the time to run DLM to stabilise it. There should be no need to put artificial caps on a normal line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

uk-guy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: cambuslang 0141
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsldude View Post
      DLM is there to paper over the cracks in peoples poor internal setups its
      there to reduce the amount of people calling to complain about dropouts
      etc, and save sky some cash in fixing things or giving advice on best practices.

people should be fitting filters. but in the end you can only do so much with the line you have dlm will not benefit everyone i have done everything possible to remove internal interference on my line but dlm left my line worse off in the end
      it had to be configured manually. yesterday i had a drop out again on my line i fear i will have to call again and hope i get to speak to someone in customer support who knows just what they are doing and leave me at least with a stable
      line i can use glad i kept my ref-num from the first call i really don't understand
      why sky still route there calls abroad it makes my blood boil..

ps i realise i have hit a wall i my quest for better broadband BT and sky need to take data from isp and concentrate on pushing FTTC to areas
      of there network that cannot even reach 8mb those who can ring out 20mb on there copper line should be last in the line for a fibre
      upgrade the lucky few.
      Last edited by uk-guy; 07-09-09 at 02:00 PM. Reason: addition

Thanks

end of the day if you don't like it - move ISPs...

simple

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast