Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How easy is it to get uncapped?

This is a discussion on How easy is it to get uncapped? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; As title says my old max connection was capped to the below stats ages ago, due to the tech saying ...

Gazwozhere is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Crosshills
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

How easy is it to get uncapped?

As title says my old max connection was capped to the below stats ages ago, due to the tech saying thats the maximum i can acheive, lies iv had 6mb stable before, but anywhos, iv noticed im now on the new unlimited.

ADSL Firmware Version A2pB023o.d20h
      Modem Status Up
      DownStream Connection Speed 4608
      UpStream Connection Speed 768
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4608 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 47.0 db 28.0 db
      Noise Margin 12.4 db 13.0 db

So as you can see my noise margin on both up and down are good, down margin is usually 13+, but starts dipping around this time, come 10pm it will be about 10, still well about 7.

So im wanting to ring sky up and get myself uncapped, and let DLM do its job, but i know that all i will get is headaches from the frontline support, is there an easier way to get through to the proper tech support guys?

2. Advertisement
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: How easy is it to get uncapped?

I would let DLM do its thing first, then post back with the stats that it leaves you with.

Thanks

Well my sky still states no testing being done or due, i think becuase im capped it won't do it.

So main reason i want to get uncapped is to see if i can gain on the upload im happy enough with the down speed, realisticly won't get much more then that anyways.

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gazwozhere View Post
      Well my sky still states no testing being done or due, i think becuase im capped it won't do it.

So main reason i want to get uncapped is to see if i can gain on the upload im happy enough with the down speed, realisticly won't get much more then that anyways.
      DLM should increase you upstream speed in time, just keep watching it and it should go up.

Also being capped does not hinder the DLM process it will do it anyway, I should know becuase it has done it to me, i had my speed set and it still started.

Thanks

Ah ok thanks for that info andy, i'll just sit back and wait *twiddles thumbs* thanks again

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Nothing to stop you phoning, you never know, you might get a result.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Franchise_mark is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01903
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Hi Gazwozhere. As you can see I'm no expert, but I had a very simliar experience to you. After BT line problems with DLM I had a download speed of approx 0.5 M. Then after contacting Sky the connection speed rose to 3582 kbps down and 764 kbps up.

However, I fitted a split faceplate and replaced all the old internal wiring, and the connection speed never improved, despite assurances from Sky that it would automatically.

Rather than hang on the telephone for ages, I emailed Sky (help@skycustomersupport.com) using the form here

https://mysky.sky.com/portal/site/sk...contactus/kana.

After a couple of days they sent me a standard email with lots of questions and pretty pictures. After replying and a few more days they replied:

"Can I please ask that you plug your broadband box into the test socket using a microfilter and leave it there for the time being. Once this is done please email us back so we can investigate further.

I look forward to you reply."

After complying and a few more days they replied again by email:

"We will be able to configure your line and hopefully raise the speed but at the moment we have no account details.

Could you please supply the following and we will address this issue as soon as possible. "

After a few more days they replied and my speeds magically increased to 5680 kbps up and 629 kbps up. My connection speeds show as 6712 kbps down and 764 up. Luckily it has stayed there pretty consistently ever since.

Hope this is of some help.

Mark

Thanks

Yeh iv done that, as i hate calling them up and spending ages talking to teir one, and there stuid tests, wish they would listen to you, i allways state to them go to the bottom of ur check list and do that please, in other words pass me on to the real techs lol.

Anyways i did the e-mail thing and today got online to this

As you can see they have raised my down sync, but not touched my up at all, which in my e-mail to them i said i am happy with my down but sort my up out lol damn morons.,

Connection Speed 5120 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 47.0 db 27.5 db
      Noise Margin 11.6 db 13.0 db

Which in real terms provides this below, the connects can go as high as 2000 but im currently running an online game so thats abit lower.

So i guess i will still have to call them up as they can't seem to read a damn e-mail correctly ahwell.

Kurby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gazwozhere View Post
      Yeh iv done that, as i hate calling them up and spending ages talking to teir one, and there stuid tests, wish they would listen to you, i allways state to them go to the bottom of ur check list and do that please, in other words pass me on to the real techs lol.

Anyways i did the e-mail thing and today got online to this

As you can see they have raised my down sync, but not touched my up at all, which in my e-mail to them i said i am happy with my down but sort my up out lol damn morons.,

Connection Speed 5120 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 47.0 db 27.5 db
      Noise Margin 11.6 db 13.0 db

Which in real terms provides this below, the connects can go as high as 2000 but im currently running an online game so thats abit lower.

So i guess i will still have to call them up as they can't seem to read a damn e-mail correctly ahwell.
      lol they did the same for me about 2 days ago. They raised my download speed by 2mb and didn't touch my upload speed. I emailed them back but haven't heard anything yet.

Thanks

Yeh its a proper joke at times having to deal with these morons, i stated and even put it in bold that i was happy with my download speed as it was, and i wanted them to uncap my upload as it never ever drops below 13db ever even at night.

Why is it so damn hard for them to understand simple things, sigh looks like if i want my upload sorted i'll have to ring, and go through 10 mins of teir 1 staff, and arguments just to get through to people that know what they are doing lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast