Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Modem Hanging

This is a discussion on Modem Hanging within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Lo all. Whenever my download speed maxes out it will run for about 3-5 sec then hang and it needs ...

Ashaman Jay is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cranhill
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Modem Hanging

Lo all.

Whenever my download speed maxes out it will run for about 3-5 sec then hang and it needs a reboot.

Normal browsing seems unaffected.

When I run the Sky PPPOA Test it returns

Network authentication failure.

Return code:200

I've emailed sky about it, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what causing it. It's been working fine for 18 months.

Sagem Router.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Modem Hanging

Usually error code 200 is an authentication error with the username : password of the router. Post up your stats also from when it's normal to rowse and when it 'hangs' if you can. Whenever you mention it 'hangs', does the internet light (it's the one with the @ symbol) go off and start flashing amber? Or does it stay lit green?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Usually error code 200 is an authentication error with the username : password of the router. Post up your stats also from when it's normal to rowse and when it 'hangs' if you can. Whenever you mention it 'hangs', does the internet light (it's the one with the @ symbol) go off and start flashing amber? Or does it stay lit green?
      When you say the username/password do you mean the SSID and the network key?

Other than that the only other password I know of is Admin/Sky for loggin onto the router.

Yeah the internet light does flash amber when it hangs.

Meant to say that the test fails when tried from my laptop (wirelessly) and from my desktop (wired).

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ashaman Jay View Post
      When you say the username/password do you mean the SSID and the network key?

Other than that the only other password I know of is Admin/Sky for loggin onto the router.

Yeah the internet light does flash amber when it hangs.

Meant to say that the test fails when tried from my laptop (wirelessly) and from my desktop (wired).
      No, it's to do with the DSL user : pass within the router that authenticates with the sky network to make sure the router isn't suspended etc.

Sometimes the sky test returns strange error codes when you lose sync (it should just read error code 100 if the internet light has went off).

What's your set-up like?

1. How many telephone sockets in use and where are they located (hall way, living room etc.) Is the router connected to an extension socket or the master socket?

2. Post your set up like so - filter > dsl cable into modem port etc. Make sure you post everything in use as detailed as you can.

3. Are you using the sky supplied ADSL cable (it's a light grey cable) and not an extension cable?

4. Do you have a test socket? Look for an openreach/BT logo and screws in the bottom half of the faceplate.

Post up your stats whilst it's in sync before it drops out if you can.

Thanks

No, it's to do with the DSL user : pass within the router that authenticates with the sky network to make sure the router isn't suspended etc.

Sometimes the sky test returns strange error codes when you lose sync (it should just read error code 100 if the internet light has went off).

What's your set-up like?

1. How many telephone sockets in use and where are they located (hall way, living room etc.) Is the router connected to an extension socket or the master socket?
      Only 1 socket in use. ADSLNation filtered faceplate.
      2. Post your set up like so - filter > dsl cable into modem port etc. Make sure you post everything in use as detailed as you can.
      Desktop: From the filtered faceplate, using all the supplied cables it goes to the modem then from the modem via a CAT5e to a PL85 PE homeplug.
      From the homeplug upstairs to the PC via a Cat 6 cable.

Laptop; Wireless connection.

3. Are you using the sky supplied ADSL cable (it's a light grey cable) and not an extension cable?

4. Do you have a test socket? Look for an openreach/BT logo and screws in the bottom half of the faceplate.

Post up your stats whilst it's in sync before it drops out if you can.
      Can't post when it's dropped out as I can't connect to it.

System Up Time: 0:02:47
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 45 39 0 0 0 0:01:23
      LAN 261 0 0 0 0 0:02:47
      WLAN 477 404 0 0 0 0:02:22
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7904 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 37.0 db 21.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.7 db 13.0 db

Thanks

Sorted.

Been switched from G.DMT to ADSL2+ and capped at a slightly lower rate of 7227 kbps.

5* for sky tech support. Was on the phone for less than 5 mins including waiting time.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

On ADSL2+ I would have expected your speed to increase to 8-10 Mb, not be reduced. Would you like to post your current stats?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

They capped me down slightly incase it was a signal issue I think. Problem just started again.

System Up Time: 0:01:20
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 10 10 0 0 0 0:00:34
      LAN 737 521 0 308 1533 0:01:20
      WLAN 93 20 0 0 0 0:00:55
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7227 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 41.0 db 21.1 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 17.0 db

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

They capped me down slightly incase it was a signal issue I think. Problem just started again.
      It could be an issue with your router. Do you have another one you could try? If it is not the router it will be your external line, which can be very difficult to get fixed. You could ask Sky if they will replace your router, sometimes they will do this with very little persuasion. Suggest that they get your line checked by BTO, usually they will send a new router before doing this.

Do you have an alarm wired into your phone line? If so, is it properly filtered?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It could be an issue with your router. Do you have another one you could try? If it is not the router it will be your external line, which can be very difficult to get fixed. You could ask Sky if they will replace your router, sometimes they will do this with very little persuasion. Suggest that they get your line checked by BTO, usually they will send a new router before doing this.

Do you have an alarm wired into your phone line? If so, is it properly filtered?
      It's filtered with an XTE-2005 faceplate, was working full speed for months then suddenly errors!

Reinstalled all network drivers last night on the upstairs machine, made no difference.

I then went downstairs and connected the modem straight to my laptop with cat5e and disconnected the wireless and it didn't drop out at all.

Must be something to do with my either my homeplugs or the main PC upstairs.

Gonna take the laptop upstairs tonight and connect it to the homeplug to see if it drops, if it does it's the homeplugs, if not it's the PC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast