Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Stats check

This is a discussion on Stats check within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by odds Really ? Well after tweaking the SNR % level in the router software I now get ...

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Stats check

Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
      Really ? Well after tweaking the SNR % level in the router software I now get this :

Mode: ADSL2+
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 4.4 7.5
      Attn(dB): 44.5 25.1
      Pwr(dBm): 18.6 12.6
      Max(Kbps): 7232 1051
      Rate (Kbps): 6002 1044

The test socket that I tried made no difference to my original stats. However by altering the SNR % in my router firmware you can see a definate increase. I have been monitoring it and the connection stays solid as before.
      Your SNR is rather low and I could imagine as the line gets noisier nearing the evening that you could experience drop-outs or even a slower throughput. Personally, I'd fiddle the SNR back to where it was before.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Stats check

I agree, using DMT and similar tools to drop the noise margin is not a good idea. As it syncs faster you may think it is faster, but in all probability it is slower. A low noise margin means there is more likelihood of errors, meaning data has to be resent, resulting in an overall slower speed. If you are happy just seeing a higher sync speed, that's OK.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12