Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

We have departed!!

This is a discussion on We have departed!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Guys, After putting up with absolutely terrible speeds on Sky connect for a while, we have finally departed, and ...

g0fhm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Downham Market - Non LLU
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited - migrated from Sky (dis)Connect
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Smile We have departed!!

Hi Guys,

After putting up with absolutely terrible speeds on Sky connect for a while, we have finally departed, and gone to another ISP.

The final clincher was a phonecall to "Tech support" (I use the term loosely), and the rude, arrogant non British person on the other end telling us, that as far as he was concerned, there was no problem, as our router was syncing at 7616k. The old not being able to tell the difference between sync speed and actual download speed reared it's ugly head again........ The BT Speedtest wouldnt even complete (never had a successful one with Sky connect), timing out at 40%.

Anyway, after going round in circles, and him not listening, my other half demanded to be put through to a manager, and also demanded a MAC code.

The ironic thing was, when she did get put through, the chap couldnt get the code, as his screen wouldnt load!! There werent any problems??

The MAC arrived a few days later in the post.

I'd just like to say a big thank you to all of you who have offered support and advice during our time with Sky, and in all honesty, we probably would have departed sooner if it werent for you guys and had to rely on their tech support!

We're very happy with our new ISP, and havent once yet hit below 4500k. Usually it's in the high 5's. And, as a test of their tech support, I rang them to see if they could offer help in installing a Speedtouch (not their standard issue) modem on Mandriva Linux 2009. The guy did it off the top of his head (they dont officially support Linux, but like to help where they can).... I've rung other ISP's in the past, to be asked "what the hell is Linux?".

So long guys, see you all around someplace!

James

Last edited by g0fhm; 28-08-09 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Typo correction

2. Advertisement
      steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: We have departed!!

g0fhm
      Hi James I hope everything goes well with your new ISP don`t be a stranger on Skyuser let us know how things are going

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Plusnet have an excellent forum where their support section are allowed to contribute and help officially. Unlike Sky where their support techs can only help 'under the table'.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I was with Plus a few years ago, under their "Force 9" banner, and still remember the excellent service I got from them.

At the time, our exchange was 512k only, but you could pay the 20 odd quid, and have the upgrade to 2meg. I signed up, and requested the upgrade, only to be told by the sales person that if I could take the 512k package and sit tight for 6 weeks, BT were scheduled to perform a mass upgrade on the exchange, and that would give me 2meg FOC. How many others would have said that?

Also, at the time I didnt have plastic to sign up with, so they suggested that I stick an old 56k modem in, sign up for pay as you go, get my account name etc, and could then upgrade to ADSL, without the need for a credit/debit card. Very helpful.

We've gone for the "Unlimited" package, at 20/month, which does exactly what it says on the tin. Certain types of traffic are throttled at certain times of the day (BitTorrent is a good example, at 10 this morning I was achieving line speed, and at 12, it dropped to 256K, as it said it would). Although HTTP, VOIP, Streaming & Gaming are guaranteed to be Line speed at all times, within reason. The occasions when this may not be possible are all set out in black and white.

We went for unlimited, as there are a minimum of 3 PC's on the network at any one time, one belongs to a 13 year old who does a lot of gaming, and I do a lot of playing with Linux, downloading various distros/updates etc. Also, I have the advantage of a static IP, which means that I can now start playing around with Fetchmail/Sendmail in Linux, and hosting my own websites on another box.

Yes, I'm a geek!

Also, the router is a Thomson, which although is 150% better in user interface as the Sky supplied one, still doesnt give "full control" to the user, such as a DG834GT say, although the username/password isnt locked away, so there is scope to use any router you want (indeed we had the option of using our own when we signed up). Also, this one has a detachable external antenna for the WLAN, so range is a hell of a lot better!

Will keep you all posted as to how things progress.... it may well be the "honeymoon period" still, and things may well start to lag after a while (had that with Orange a couple of years back), but it looks good so far. A friend has been with Plus for 7 years now, and can see no reason to change!

James

Thanks

Just a quick update....

Been reading the thread about slow Connect, Sky blaming BT when it's not the case etc etc, very interesting! Glad we got out when we did... we were hitting nowhere near the 40gig/Month limit, but like everybody else, we were getting hammered!

Plus have recently bought more pipes, if you read their blurb!

Have a look at the the speedtest result this kinda proves it.... not bad for a Bank Hol evening, when the world and their dog are allegedly online!

James