Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Disconnecting 5+ times an hour

This is a discussion on Disconnecting 5+ times an hour within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, I've been using Sky BB for about 2 years, I normally have to reset my router after a couple ...

Kurby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Disconnecting 5+ times an hour

Hello,

I've been using Sky BB for about 2 years, I normally have to reset my router after a couple of days because the internet light will turn orange and I lose the internet connection. Well it didn't bother me because it was only once every few days but since Wednesday it's been going off like 5 times an hour Sometimes I'll restart the router and the internet light will turn orange for 30 seconds then go blank.

Could I have a faulty router? I've checked at the times it disconnects and the phone line is clear (no noise) and all filters are on and are working. I tried using the phone and calling it myself to see if it's that what's disconnecting it but no its working fine.

My router is plugged into the main socket but through an extension lead (http://www.mrmdvd.com/catalog/images...hone%20Ext.jpg) but the main socket is an old one so I don't have a test socket

Is there any chance it could be a faulty router?

Here's the stats:

2. Advertisement
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Re: Disconnecting 5+ times an hour

To me the part you said that " the internet light goes blank" could indicate a faulty router I would phone sky tell them the router is faulty and the internet light keeps going blank and they should send out a new one.

It could be DLM, but I would say it is the router. When you phone also ask if DLM is active or not, if not then you know it would be the router.

Hope this helps.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

The extension lead is probably causing the problem. I know it's been working for quite a while, but it's probably deteriorated/degraded over time. It's not particularly made for DSL signals.

So we can be sure, what is your set-up?

1. How many telephone sockets in use and where are they located (hallway, living room etc.)?
      2. Go to each socket and describe EXACTLY what is plugged in. Filter > phone line etc.
      3. This extension lead you mentioned - is it on the 'modem' end of the filter running to the router? Or is it on the 'phone' port on the filter. If it's on the phone port then that's fine, but if it's on the 'modem' end carrying the DSL signals, then remove the extension cable and use the sky supplied rj11 cable. It's a lot shorter than an extension cable, so if the computer is far away, then you'll need to purchase a longer ethernet cable. If it's even plugged in before the filter, then remove it and plug the filter directly into the tel socket.

Oh, and if possible after removing the extension cable, post up your new stats. The noise margin should be a lot higher if it is the extension causing the problem.
      Last edited by User05; 28-08-09 at 02:45 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Looking at your stats I would say DLM is running on your line and is having difficulties. Probably due to the telephone extension you are using. These are no good for broadband. As suggested plug in using the RJ11 cable and post your stats, It may be very inconvenient if you have to move your PC, but Sky will be able to do nothing until you rule out the extension.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies, I'm hoping it's just a faulty router

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      The extension lead is probably causing the problem. I know it's been working for quite a while, but it's probably deteriorated/degraded over time. It's not particularly made for DSL signals.

So we can be sure, what is your set-up?

1. How many telephone sockets in use and where are they located (hallway, living room etc.)?
      2. Go to each socket and describe EXACTLY what is plugged in. Filter > phone line etc.
      3. This extension lead you mentioned - is it on the 'modem' end of the filter running to the router? Or is it on the 'phone' port on the filter. If it's on the phone port then that's fine, but if it's on the 'modem' end carrying the DSL signals, then remove the extension cable and use the sky supplied rj11 cable. It's a lot shorter than an extension cable, so if the computer is far away, then you'll need to purchase a longer ethernet cable. If it's even plugged in before the filter, then remove it and plug the filter directly into the tel socket.

Oh, and if possible after removing the extension cable, post up your new stats. The noise margin should be a lot higher if it is the extension causing the problem.
      1. 2 are in use, the main socket is in the bedroom next to mine and there's an extension socket in the living room.

2. Main socket: Extension lead>filter>router
      Extension socket: Filter>Phone

3. I have the extension plugged into the main socket, then the filter then the router. That's the only way it works but I think that's right. I'm going to go and get a big ethernet cable later and I'll post back here with the results. If the router still keeps disconnecting does that mean it's definitely a faulty router?

Thanks

If the router still keeps disconnecting does that mean it's definitely a faulty router?
      No, it could be a fault on your phone line, but I think your extension is the most likely.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I put the router right next to the main socket and used a big ethernet cable to connect my computer. It hasn't disconnected once yet Thanks for your help.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kurby View Post
      I put the router right next to the main socket and used a big ethernet cable to connect my computer. It hasn't disconnected once yet Thanks for your help.
      Good news. They usually are the problem when people have intermittent connection issues. If you can, post up your new stats. You may see a big increase in the d/s noise margin which is a good thing. You should be able to push out 8-9mb or so if you ring sky and get them to lift the cap off your line.

Exchange:
      Thanks

You sure I could get 8-9mb?

Direct:
      1.53 mi
      (appx)*By Road:
      2.4 mi

That's how far I am from my exchange. I thought I had to be under 1 mile to get fast speeds?

Thanks

That is a bit strange, your attenuation has jumped up. Something is wrong somewhere. Are you still plugged in directly to the main socket? If so, take the front off the box and if there is a wire on terminal 3, pull it off, put the face back and try the stats again.

Scroll to the bottom of this page - Ring Wire

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast