Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Yet Another Slow Connect User

This is a discussion on Yet Another Slow Connect User within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Guys, Sorry to start yet another thread on this, but I wanted somewhere that I can keep all my ...

omnipherous is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yet Another Slow Connect User

Hi Guys,

Sorry to start yet another thread on this, but I wanted somewhere that I can keep all my stats and dealings with Sky on this matter, without hijacking someone else's thread.

Been on the Connect package for ~2 years, and, up until about a month ago, haven't had any problems at all. Sync'd at 8192 down, and speedtests were always between 6.5 and 7Mb. Fine. Here are my Connection stats from the router:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8064 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 25.0 db 16.5 db
      Noise Margin 14.4 db 25.0 db

Now though, since the start of August, I've had a massive slow-down. I still sync at ~8, but speedtests show much less than that now. Here are some tests I've been doing, changed filters, router connected to the test socket, PC connected via Ethernet cable, and nothing else running on the line:

20/08/09 18:55

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
      Your DSL connection rate: 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 178 kbps

21/08/09 7.40am

IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 6437 kbps

22/08/09 9.52am

IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5958 kbps

25/08/09 7.53am

Your DSL connection rate: 8064 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 6076 kbps

25/08/09 22.00

Your DSL connection rate: 8064 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 175 kbps

I understand that between 4pm and midnight Connect users are subject to 'Traffic Shaping', but I fail to see how this can have such a large impact, considering there IS NO TRAFFIC, other than the speedtest. The main issue is that ping -t to any site results in ~12% packet loss over 5 minute tests. This obviously results in horrid delays loading websites, and unusable online gaming.

I've also monitored my bandwidth usage over the past week or so, and have used a whopping 400MB per week - hardly a heavy user, which they seem to claim will only be affected by the traffic shaping. It's more like Bandwidth throttling than traffic shaping. As I understand it, traffic shaping involves investigating the content of a data packet to see what type of traffic it is (http, torrent, etc), and then dealing with it accordingly - this is not the case here, it's just ALL traffic. Is my understanding of Traffic Shaping correct?

As you can see from the stats above, early in the morning I get reasonable results, although not as fast as the previous ~2 years, so it would suggest that the traffic shaping time zones are what is to blame. Maybe their traffic shaping software isn't working correctly?

In the T&C it also states that http traffic would not be effected by traffic shaping, which it clearly is.

I phoned Sky last week and was told by tier 1 that ALL connect users are having the same problem just now, and in fact a lot of them can't get connected at all, so I should count myself lucky! Hah. Basically a fob off I think, but I shall be phoning back tonight and use the 'online gaming with really high pings' to hopefully get through to CST (actually, my main gripe at the moment IS the really high pings while gaming).

Is there anything else I can say to support, or anything else I can try myself? I'm not mad yet, but getting there. Sadly, there are NO LLU operators at my exchange.

Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Yet Another Slow Connect User

If you look through this section you will find several massive threads dealing with Connect. The top one in particular. You are correct in stating that Sky are not 'Bandwidth Shaping' they are Throttling pure and simple. Sadly you can phone Sky as often as you like, you will get nowhere. Your only option is to move to an ISP who do not throttle so aggressively. All non-LLU providers use bandwidth shaping to some extent, but most do it in a reasonable way.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply Isitme.

I realise that there is nothing that can be done with the peak-time bandwidth throttling, just didn't realise it would be so severe, or that it would target everyone, and not just heavy users, or specific traffic types as the T&C suggests. I would be willing to pay a lot more than I do currently to have a more reliable connection, but sadly, with no LLU options available to me, I fear that I would have similar issues with any ISP now that throttling seems to be common practice.

This doesn't really explain why I am experiencing packet loss though, unless part of the traffic shaping is simply just making some of the traffic 'disappear'.

I notice you are in Bannockburn, and have a few LLU options on that exchange, sad that the same can't be said for Alva, and that there's no real indication of when upgrading might occur. I had a better connection (read: more usable) than this 4 years ago. Way to move forward. The experience I have of 512Kbps adsl connection back then was still better than I have just now, presumably due to no packet loss, and this is the main issue that I want to get fixed.

Thanks

My son is on the Alva exchange and uses Plusnet. He is very happy with them, they have a more open policy on throttling and bandwidth shaping. He has the Unlimited package which costs him about 20 a month. Unfortunately Alva is classed as a Market 1 exchange, which means it has no LLU providers, so costs more.
      PlusNet *|* Home & Business Broadband Internet Access & Phone Services UK

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the recommendation, just having a look at the plusnet site now. Is it not the Pro package that he has? it seems to be ~20 per month and states itself as low latency and pings in amongst the usual spiel.

Just going to see what the free router they offer is, and then decide if I should buy my own. That is, unless Sky magically fix my connection this evening, but I think the call may end with a request for my MAC code and I can take it from there..

I'll update this thread with the outcome of tonight's phone call(s), just in case it proves/disproves anything.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

omnipherous
      Hi if you ring you can say that you have been doing Bt speed tests and 4pm till Midnight is not Traffic Shaping it is throttling IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 175 kbps no company can call that Traffic Shaped

This doesn't really explain why I am experiencing packet loss though, unless part of the traffic shaping is simply just making some of the traffic 'disappear' I phoned Sky last week and was told by tier 1 that ALL connect users are having the same problem just now, and in fact a lot of them can't get connected at all,.
      The reason Connect is over subscribed and not enough Capacity this has been going on since October then June when a lot of connect Customers lost connection for about 4hrs at peak time

Thanks

It could be but I am sure he said he had unlimited download, the Pro package only allows 15Gb a month. Unlimited starts at 16 but costs more on a Market 1 exchange.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Is it not unlimited off peak downloading with Plusnet? I cannot see how any ISP using BT's equipment could offer unlimited 24/7 for anywhere near 20.

Thanks

Extract from Plusnet FAQs.
      16. Is it really unlimited?

It really is! There's no monthly limit to the amount of data you can use, although management is applied to some traffic at certain times of the day.
      Management allows us to add capacity to the network when it's needed, and identify and prioritise the traffic on our network, resulting in a high quality service for everyone.
      We already make sure that emailing, browsing, VoIP and other important activities run as fast as they can throughout the day - even if our network is really busy. This can mean that other bandwidth hungry activities like big file downloads, peer to peer and usenet run at a slower rate during the day. Read our Unlimited Broadband Community Site blog for more information on how this works.

TomD

Useful Utilites

dsn
      dsn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Hi omnipherous
      Have a look at my thread here Another slow broadband connect customer
      One among many I'm afraid
      I'm now with Adsl24 and am very pleased so far.
      My advice would be save yourself the stress, get your MAC and change your ISP.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast