Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Yet Another Slow Connect User

This is a discussion on Yet Another Slow Connect User within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; We signed up for Plus on the Sunday, via the online interface, and they sent an email telling us it ...

g0fhm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Downham Market - Non LLU
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited - migrated from Sky (dis)Connect
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Yet Another Slow Connect User

We signed up for Plus on the Sunday, via the online interface, and they sent an email telling us it would be the following Saturday (6 days). On the Friday (the day before) I came home from work to a disgruntled 13 year old, wanting to know why he couldnt get on the net from lunchtime onwards....

You guessed it, it took 5 days!

Although how much of that was down to BTO pulling their fingers out and doing the job quickly, I dont know. 10 days is the norm, more if Virgin Net bugger it up :-) (did that to me 6 years ago).

James

Hmm.... ping is a bit high tonight!

2. Advertisement
      omnipherous is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well, I gave up on Sky and have signed with fast.co.uk - a bit more expensive, but they don't throttle anything, just have monthly usage caps. I'm not much of a downloader anymore, so it's mainly the latency that I had issue with.

Signed up last Friday (4th Sept) as I got my MAC code that same day. Was kinda hoping that it would have switched yesterday, but hasn't! - ah well, monday/tuesday it is, just as long as I know that terrible service isn't for much longer.

As for the useless tech support, I learned very quickly that if you want to speak to someone worthwhile, about anything at all, just quote the magic words to 1st line " I want to have my max_delay settings reduced" - that gets you through to someone who can help (and understand you) even if it's not actually a max_delay reduction you're after...

Anyway, looking forward to a returning to a decent service for a change. Good luck with Plusnet!

Maybe eventually, so many people will leave sky connect that it will actually become usable again :P But they should change their T&C to say that they use 'Bandwidth Throttling' and not just Traffic Shaping.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

but the fact your on Connect you'd usually be met by 'You're on Connect and nothing can be done'...unless you get Manila...

in which case, you'd end up getting the tier 1 agent in trouble for not allowing them to do their troubleshooting steps...so you might cost someone their job...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

omnipherous
      Hi I hope all goes well with fast.co.uk Keep in touch with Skyuser and let us know how thing are going

omnipherous is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Enemy: Not once have first line said that to me... maybe their training isn't up to scratch? But even on Connect there IS something that can be done, just not by Sky themselves, they'd have to request the change from BT, which they apparently aren't willing to do, whereas other ISPs are willing. Their loss.

Thanks Steve

Anyway, activated with Fast yesterday afternoon. Obviously there will still be a little fluctuation while the connection settles, but first tests showed 6.75Mb (using skyuser speedtest) at a 'peak' time, when I would have had ~0.4Mb with Connect. Also, ping times have halved, from ~80-90ms to ~40-45ms, and that's with interleaving still active on the line which will hopefully be rectified shortly.

I guess with pretty much all other Connect based threads, if you're stuck on a BT only exchange and can't go LLU, do yourselves a favour and move to a real ISP.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123