Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Yet Another Slow Connect User

This is a discussion on Yet Another Slow Connect User within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Thanks isitme, that makes more sense, it is unlimited but your speeds will vary during peak times meaning that you ...

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Yet Another Slow Connect User

Thanks isitme, that makes more sense, it is unlimited but your speeds will vary during peak times meaning that you will not be able to download at your maximum speed 24/7 thus reducing your theoretical maximum amount you could download.

Plusnet do it just about better than anyone, they don't hide it and are not afraid to let the figures speak for themselves.

As they were one of the first ISP's to use the ellocoyas, they should be good at it, but boy did they cause some stink when they first started to traffic shape!!!!

2. Advertisement
      omnipherous is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well, so long Sky. It's been mostly good, I have to say.

Looking at plusnet more and more as my needs have changed with regards to my internet connection. I don't need massive amounts of data per month these days, I just want it to work as fast as possible.

Smithy99 - I thought that too, but if you look at this page:

Broadband download speeds

and scroll down to the Plusnet Pro table, it does look pretty promising, for ~20pm.

The Pro package would give me 15GB per month to use, which should be more than enough, but on the odd occasion I go over that, it's 2 per 2GB, which in itself is fairly expensive, but I doubt I will need it very often.

Before I make my final decision though, I'll need to weigh up the good and bad customer support stories and see if anything directly influences me. I also still need to find out if they force you to use their free router, or if I can use one that is actually any good. Off I go in search of the small print and horror stories

Thanks for the replies guys.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Forgot to ask -

dsn: how long did your switch-over take? both in terms of starting the process requesting MAC code, and in terms of downtime?

Cheers!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I also still need to find out if they force you to use their free router, or if I can use one that is actually any good.
      You can use any router you want with Plusnet, they don't force you to use theirs.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well, I'm now torn between ADSL24, as mentioned by dsn, and Plusnet.

Plusnet seem to offer a service that is more like i'm looking for, but the minimum contract for their Pro package is 23 MONTHS! ouchie.. The Ultimate package is 18 months, which is itself quite extreme.

ADSL24 on the other hand, offer 1 month contracts (although I presume there is a minimum period of notice, or something like that).. Gah. Decisions decisions!

dsn
      dsn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

dsn: how long did your switch-over take? both in terms of starting the process requesting MAC code, and in terms of downtime?
      Took 10 days my new ISP to activate my line. On the day of activation there was no downtime at all, but I was out all day and had been switched over when I came back in.

dsn
      dsn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

As said, I'm very happy with Adsl24 and I'm getting 5 to 5.5 meg at this time of night. Seems very stable so far and the 1 month contract lenght is a good point just in case

g0fhm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Downham Market - Non LLU
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited - migrated from Sky (dis)Connect
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I'd say go with Plusnet.... get the hell away from Sky!

We migrated a few weeks ago, peed off with the Sky throttling.

We are on a non LLU exchange, and are paying 20/month for the unlimited package. Best move we have ever made!

Certain types of traffic is capped at certain times of the day, but all "time critical" stuff (HTTP, VOIP, Gaming etc) is guaranteed at "line speed" within reason, save for technical problems.

Syncing at 7616 (as per usual) and very rarely drop below 5000, on a really bad day!

James

emrobin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Warboys
      Thanks

I'm in the miserable position of being under contract for another 11 months with Sky. I've been with them only one month and have been horribly disappointed. I too am on the Sky Connect. They did advise me that I would only be able to receive 4Mb on my line and I was fine with that, but most nights I'm lucky to get 400Kbps. I've called their "Tech support" and they are absolutely clueless. I got frustrated and hung up on them this evening. The woman was wanting me to reset my router (SSID, WPA password) as part of trouble shooting my slow connection. I told her I'm directly plugged into the router and resetting that would have zero affect on my speed and she said, "I realise that, but it's part of the instructions I have". The last thing I need is someone just reading from a script with no clue of what she is asking me to do. I sent a complaint via email. We'll see where that gets me. They've already broken their contract in not providing what they said. I'm paying the same price as everyone else on Connect and getting less than 1Mb. Very frustrating.
      Peak usage speed test

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I'm paying the same price as everyone else on Connect and getting less than 1Mb. Very frustrating.
      If you read the several threads on Connect you will see everyone is in the same boat. Get your MAC and get out, quote an unusable connection if you are asked why. They know the Connect package does not come up to standard and do not seem to penalize any one who wants to move. It beats me why they do not suspend selling it until they get their game sorted out.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast