Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Broadband Max: why is my connection so slow?

This is a discussion on Broadband Max: why is my connection so slow? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Last month I changed my ISP over to Sky. I have the Broadband Max package, but my download speeds have ...

fruitbat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Broadband Max: why is my connection so slow?

Last month I changed my ISP over to Sky. I have the Broadband Max package, but my download speeds have been ridiculously slow; between 0.5Mb and 3.07Mb.

Here is an example of my stats (today):
      Connection Speed.......Downstream: 2045kbps.......Upstream: 796kbps
      Line Attenuation.......Downstream: 40.5db.......Upstream: 20.9db
      Noise Margin.......Downstream: 20.1db.......Upstream: 14.0db

With my previous ISP (which was an “up to 8Mb” service) I had download speeds of between 4.5Mb and 7.2Mb, so I know my phone line is capable of better speeds.

This might be partly my own fault, because I didn't leave my router powered-on during the DLM training period (I didn't read about that until a few weeks later).

Is it possible to redo the DLM training, in the hope that I will get an acceptable download speed? Or is there another way?

2. Advertisement
      Philco is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sittingbourne
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Broadband Max: why is my connection so slow?

how long did it take for sky to do the check, they started mine on the 08/08/09

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Is it possible to redo the DLM training, in the hope that I will get an acceptable download speed? Or is there another way?
      Phone Sky and tell them you have improved your wiring and would like your connection manually reconfigured. If the Tier 1 will not put you through to CST, phone back and this time tell them you want your delays reduced as you are a gamer. When you get through to CST ask them if they will do something about your speed as it is very low.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fruitbat View Post
      Last month I changed my ISP over to Sky. I have the Broadband Max package, but my download speeds have been ridiculously slow; between 0.5Mb and 3.07Mb.

Here is an example of my stats (today):
      Connection Speed.......Downstream: 2045kbps.......Upstream: 796kbps
      Line Attenuation.......Downstream: 40.5db.......Upstream: 20.9db
      Noise Margin.......Downstream: 20.1db.......Upstream: 14.0db

With my previous ISP (which was an “up to 8Mb” service) I had download speeds of between 4.5Mb and 7.2Mb, so I know my phone line is capable of better speeds.

This might be partly my own fault, because I didn't leave my router powered-on during the DLM training period (I didn't read about that until a few weeks later).

With your attenuation you should see in the region of 8 to 9Mb connection.
      Also do you have any extensions around the house as well as the master socket.

fruitbat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy17 View Post
      With your attenuation you should see in the region of 8 to 9Mb connection.
      Also do you have any extensions around the house as well as the master socket.
      My master socket is in the hall behind a cupboard. The socket to which my broadband and phone are connected is in my study – I presume that this is an extension. Due to my being a wheelchair-user I'm unable to get to the master socket in order to test it.

If I were able to get a friend to help me, would it be any better to put my router in the hall, ie. as close as possible to the master socket, and run a long ethernet cable to my second router in the study, from which I run a wired network of three computers and a NAS?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If I were able to get a friend to help me, would it be any better to put my router in the hall, ie. as close as possible to the master socket, and run a long ethernet cable to my second router in the study, from which I run a wired network of three computers and a NAS?
      If you have an NTE5 box, you would probably benefit from fitting a filtered faceplate like this - XTE-2005 Filtered Master Faceplate - ADSL Nation Plug your router directly into it and run an ethernet cable as you suggest. The faceplate is very easily fitted in a few minutes.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.