Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

I'm in the everyday plan but no changes in speed yet ...

This is a discussion on I'm in the everyday plan but no changes in speed yet ... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, I received the letter from sky more than a month ago talking about the new everyday plan but ...

danbyte is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm in the everyday plan but no changes in speed yet ...

Hi All,

I received the letter from sky more than a month ago talking about the new everyday plan but haven't seen any changes in the speed of my BB.

Last week I received an email from sky telling me that the improvements will be happening over the next few weeks and that I can track the status of my line by signing in to "My Sky" but all I see in "Your connection Details" is a message indicating that "Line testing is not currently in progress."

I Live very near of the exchange (~ 0.5 mi) and before the email I was syncing at the same speed I'm doing now:

Connection Speed 7968 kbps (D) 416 kbps (U)
      Line Attenuation 14.0 db (D) 12.0 db (U)
      Noise Margin 14.1 db (D) 13.0 db (U)

Router has been up and running without interruptions for 122 hrs

This is the result from my most recent speed test

Should I expect any improvements on speed as promised by Sky? Does anyone knows when I should expect these? ... How can I check if my line is capable of doing 20 Mb in order to decide if it's worth to consider an upgrade?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Dan

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

re: I'm in the everyday plan but no changes in speed yet ...

As you are on everyday the max you can expect is 10meg, tho what use that is with a 10 gig allowance is debatable.
      Your line attenuation should easily support close to if not 20meg should you wish to upgrade. Your noise margin is a bit high tho I suspect that is because you are on everyday, a comparison with stats from the test socket would confirm.
      As to when DLM will kick in is anyones guess tho mine did about 2 days after the email.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danbyte View Post
      You're actually getting a good throughput there.

Should I expect any improvements on speed as promised by Sky?
      Not until DLM starts.

Does anyone knows when I should expect these?
      No one can really say, mate. It's whether you'd want to wait or whether you want to get it manually done by CST.

... How can I check if my line is capable of doing 20 Mb in order to decide if it's worth to consider an upgrade?
      From your attenuation, you have a nice short line which should indeed be able to sync at 20mb. However, you'll need to connect to your test socket and re-post the stats in order for us to establish whether you could actually get the 20mb as your line may be noisy for instance. From the stats you posted there, you could get the 10mb out of the mid/everyday package or thereabouts but no more. As I say, stick it in the test socket with a new filter and the sky supplied rj11 cable and post the stats.

danbyte is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks guys,

I agree with the fact that a bigger engine is not that good if you have a speed restrictor installed or having a ferrari and only being able to drive it around the block ... I'm not sure how much allowance I'm currently using (don't think is way over 10 Gb) but I'll wait until they have the cojones to charge me for extra MBs before I walk out.

I have no complaints about the throughput I'm currently getting considering that I'm running the test from a wireless connection and it's still close to what was offered by sky originally (the old plan).

The router is connected to the master socket (the only one in the house) but it might be interesting to do the test socket check with a wired connection just to measure the difference ... not expecting anything big and it'll be just for educational purposes (i'll be publishing the stats here).

I don't think I'll be contacting CST and will just wait for sky to their job and avoid any overlapping and additional downtime (it might be that I'm not that lucky and I end up getting the wrong guy at CST).

Thanks a lot for your opinions about the capacity of my line. I now feel more confident to ask for it if the circumstances are good for an upgrade or even a change of provider.

Thanks again,

Dan

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I have no complaints about the throughput I'm currently getting considering that I'm running the test from a wireless connection
      It is very good, too good in fact. A throughput of nearly 94% is nigh on impossible, especially with a wireless connection. Speedtest.net just cannot be believed, try the SkyUser tester, you will get a truer result.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

MD118 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: I'm in the everyday plan but no changes in speed yet ...

hi - im on everyday...however my line until about a week ago was showing around Connection Speed 7*** kbps - i phoned up sky and they put me to someone on 3rd line support. The guy then changed my line, within a few minutes, i then logged into the router and it showed......

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 9979 kbps

639 kbps Line Attenuation 12 db 5 db Noise Margin 22 db 21 db

Ran the speedcheck on this site and hit around 8.5 kbps, before it was around 6.5 - 7 kbps

Also the upstream had increased.
      So you can wait or phone up.

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Re: I'm in the everyday plan but no changes in speed yet ...

Quote Originally Posted by MD118 View Post
      Ran the speedcheck on this site and hit around 8.5 kbps, before it was around 6.5 - 7 kbps
      You mean the speed test hit around 8.5Mb and before it was around 6.5 to 7Mb.