Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Internet going amazingly slow lately.

This is a discussion on Internet going amazingly slow lately. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey guys, i've had some ups and downs (okay just downs) with my sky broadband. I've had it for around ...

Jordano is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Internet going amazingly slow lately.

Hey guys, i've had some ups and downs (okay just downs) with my sky broadband. I've had it for around 2 years and had plenty of problems with it, but lately (the past week or so) it's gotten a real mess. My internet is usually fine in the morning/afternoons & past 11pm, but inbetween those times it's a bit iffy, but i'm okay with that as i understand it 5-12 is the big user peak and there is usually 2-4 people connected to the router at that time in my house.

But recently it's started to be practically unuseable, web pages take a long time to load, games are lagging continously & i'm getting max download speeds of like 15KB/s. I'm not sure if it's a problem with sky itself or my router though, when the bad times started happening I kept a ping up continously to bbc.co.uk to measure ping & time outs and my router is timing out at least once every 20 seconds, often more & during these time outs i can't connect to my router, which leads me to believe it's a router issue.

I've checked my own software to make sure nothing is downloading, turned off all the PC's/xbox's etc in my house to make sure my PC is the only one running and I'm still getting the same problem. So i'm here wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Reason i'm posting here first is that I had a problem ages ago and I remember everyone here being very helpful + i've had many run ins with sky support and frankly i think it's shocking.

Cheers!

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Internet going amazingly slow lately.

Ok, as long as you've confirmed that it is still slow with only one computer connected via ethernet connection, then do the following:

Take your stats from the telephone socket you're connected to at the moment and also from your test socket. To find the test socket, find your master socket (look for openreach/BT logos if you're struggling) and you should have two screws in the bottom half of the faceplate. Unscrew the bottom half off and put a new filter into the socket to the right (the test socket) and use the sky supplied light gray ADSL cable (NO extension rj11 cable in the 'modem' side of the filter).

To post the 'stats' I'm referring to, open a browser > type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar > it shall ask for a username (admin) and password (sky) > click ok and then go to the bottom of the page and click 'show statistics' > paste what you have there in here.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah, i've tested it with only an ethernet connection, it's the same :/ & My router has been plugged into the test socket for the past year or so, so it's been up & down whilst still in there.

System Up Time 07:07:03
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 784822 628495 0 3581 8917 07:06:34
      LAN 10M/100M 1855 0 0 22 0 07:07:00
      WLAN 11M/54M/108M 138364 147431 0 10452 1961 02:27:48

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2624 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.5 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 5.5 db 16.0 db

That's the paste from statistics, thing is, I know my downstream noise margin is currently pretty low, but the connection is still terrible even with it upto 6.7 or so (which is the maximum it ever goes )

Thanks for the reply

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Jordano
      Hi who told you were on Mid you are on the connect package your upload of 448kbps shows
      the Bt re-badged product that is the reason you are having slow speeds 4pm till Midnight Sky connect is Traffic Shaped sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ah, I thought you were on the mid/everyday package from your profile, but it would seem you're on the connect package from the stats. Unfortunately from your description of it occuring between peak times, this would denote the traffic management policy that is on the connect package is the culprit.

However, you may best be ringing up sky (in fact, around this time would be perfect if you're willing) and get through to CST. If I'm taking a stab, your SNR is fluctuating which will more than likely cause some drop-outs and errors building on the line possibly causing the slow throughput. You're on a long line, so even capping the speed slightly would probably help the throughput and also stability. Get the ticked raised to sky CST and then see if BTWholesale can do anything about it. Although it may just be down to traffic mangement which you can do nothing about I'm afraid.

No problems at all for the reply, by the way. Here to help.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Howdy, it was a long time ago when I made this account, and I think i wasn't sure what I was on (still not tbh) so I just guessed ;> but I do know we're supposed to get 8mbit downstream but because we're practically as far away from the exchange as you can be we get 2mbit.

I'm okay with the slow speeds at that time, except it's not just slow speeds, i'm getting lots of time outs (for e.g. when i'm pinging bbc.co.uk) and that's much more irritating when playing games and such than slow speeds would be

Edit: posted that before I saw your reply User05 I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see what I can do, although my past experiences with sky tech support hasn't been fantastic to say the least

Thing is this speed drop is a recent thing, and that wouldn't bother me so much, except that it's lasting 24/7 now and it's especially the time out's that are bothering me.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jordano View Post
      Howdy, it was a long time ago when I made this account, and I think i wasn't sure what I was on (still not tbh) so I just guessed ;> but I do know we're supposed to get 8mbit downstream but because we're practically as far away from the exchange as you can be we get 2mbit.

I'm okay with the slow speeds at that time, except it's not just slow speeds, i'm getting lots of time outs (for e.g. when i'm pinging bbc.co.uk) and that's much more irritating when playing games and such than slow speeds would be
      I assume the slow throughput is on each of the devices when just one is connected? i.e. If you have numerous computers, do speed tests on each of them with only one connected to the router via ethernet connection and see if you're getting slow throughput on each and every one. Just to rule out that the slow throughput is due to processes on one of the computers using up bandwidth.

Aside from that, I can bet it's to do with noise on the line/CRC build up which are causing time-outs. I can assume loading webpages it takes forever, eventually loads some images and then eventually will stop half way through?

Get onto sky (08442 410515) and get the ticket raised. It shouldn't be like that, traffic management or not. The problem is getting the ticket raised may be painful. Before you call, confirm that the noise margin doesn't change by changing over the filter you're using. Also make sure you're using the sky rj11 cable (short light gray cable into the modem port of the filter that goes into the router).

Thanks

Jordano
      Hi that the thing the connect product is no good for gamers. But as User05 say`s it would be a good idea to contact Sky Get a ticked raised with sky CST and then see if Bt Wholesale can do anything about it. I hope they can. A good idea is to have a look at your exchange and see what ISPs have LLU.
      i'm getting lots of time outs (for e.g. when i'm pinging bbc.co.uk)
      if that is happening at peak times then it is the Traffic Shaping

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jordano View Post
      Edit: posted that before I saw your reply User05 I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see what I can do, although my past experiences with sky tech support hasn't been fantastic to say the least
      Don't worry, there are ones there that know what they're doing as well!

I'll give you the basic low down of what will happen on the call to give you a positive outcome. When you call, mention you're offnet (connect package) and you're getting a slow connection. Now, the agent will check what sky's systems say your max speed is and ask you what your sync rate is.

If your sync is higher than what sky's systems say your max is, then the agent will ask everything I've already done basically. One computer connected, via ethernet connection etc. and will also tell you to netstat in the command prompt. If you mention you have above 10, then you'll be sent on your way. If you mention below 10, then you will be transferred to CST with a ticket ID. It is worth mentioning that if you DO have a lot of established connections that you don't recognise (type 'netstat/b' for the process .exe name) then you're best scanning the computer for viruses and such.

If your sync is lower than what sky's systems say your max should be, then the agent will check your physical set-up. Plugged into the test socket, changed filters, using sky's DSL cable (even though many miss it...), no crackles/pops/static on the PSTN. Confirm all of this and you'll be passed to CST.

When you get through to CST, you'll hopefully make some progress on getting the issue sorted.

Thanks

Jordano
      Hi you will also be asked to do Bt Test Result you can get the information from (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users a good Idea is to do one before you ring. you can only do the Bt test every 3hrs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast