Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Internet going amazingly slow lately.

This is a discussion on Internet going amazingly slow lately. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So I phoned them up, and he just fobbed me off with netstat. "this is your problem, your pc is ...

Jordano is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Internet going amazingly slow lately.

So I phoned them up, and he just fobbed me off with netstat. "this is your problem, your pc is using all your bandwith, download a virus scanner and that should fix it." Now I know that none of my PC's have hidden bandwith using viruses and I also know that my connections to the web aren't giving me the horrible speeds i'm getting, nevermind the timeouts. I tried explaining this but he was having none of it and basically told me i'm wrong and that was that.

Should I ring back later and just ask straight off to be put through to the next tier of tech support, because I really don't want to have to go through all the ridiculous 'tests' again when i'm positive none of them are the cause

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Can you check and see what package you are on. Your stats look like Connect, but this could be a coincidence. It has happened before.

You should reboot your router when your noise margin is low. This should allow it to resync at a lower speed with a better noise margin. Each time the margin falls below 7 reboot it, it will eventually find its best stabe speed. You might find that although your sync speed is lower, your actual throughput improves, as there will be less errors to correct. Your low noise margin is one of the things that makes it difficult to say you are on Connect. The BT system would not normally allow the connection to stay up with such a small margin.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Howdy, i'm honesty not sure what package we're on as my parents handle all the bills and such. I think we're supposed to get 2.6mbit (I previously claimed 8mbit in another post, but that's what my parents said, and the guy I phoned today said 2.6) but we only get 2mbit due to our range from the exchange.

The noise margin has never even been upto 7 the average is about 6.3 - 6.5, but never any higher.

Thanks

The speeds on Mid and Connect are the same, up to 8Mb, but Connect is supplied by BT and rebadged by Sky. Mid is supplied direct by Sky.

Look in the Broadband details of your MySky page, or at your Account details, it will tell you there what you are on. You can try a BT Performance test, but that does not always work with Connect, it never does with Mid.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Jordano
      Hi click on link SamKnows Broadband - Availability - Exchange Search follow the exchange information at top of the page next page will have exchange name click on then next page will show if you have Sky LLU also will show what LLU you have at your exchange

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm pretty positive it's connect then, as when we had a problem before it had to be corrected on BT's end. I can't check MySky atm as my parents are currently away, and it's in their name.

Thanks

Having had a look at your previous stats you are definitely on Connect. You were advised then to try setting your noise margin to a higher rate, how did you get on with this?

I think your main problem is the package you are on and there is not a lot you can do about it. All I can say is if you are paying the full 17, get out and find a better ISP who does not throttle so severely. Have a look at this thread and you will get an idea what you are up against.-
      (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12