Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Line Problem or Router

This is a discussion on Line Problem or Router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I posted a while back about my unrealiable line. I live some distance from the exchange and when I was ...

MeanMint is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Line Problem or Router

I posted a while back about my unrealiable line.

I live some distance from the exchange and when I was with BT would get 576Kb downstream.

Moved to Sky and all seemed well at the start, did get 1Mb down at the start but had to cap at 500Kb.

For the last couple of months the modem seemed only wanting to sync at lower speeds, 228Kb, 160Kb or 64Kb. All unacceptable as some of the neighbours get close to 1Mb.

At fist I thought it was a line problem, but when Sky sent the BT engineer out and he connected his equipment up he could sync at 500Kb and have the phone on silent test at the same time, and there was no fluctuation in the noise margin. After 30 minutes testing he said there was nothing wrong with my line.

I changed my filter and modem telephone connection cable and the Sagem router seemed to connect ok. For a short time. Then started to re-sync at slower speeds.

When it did this I tried to connect my old BT 1800HG hub and that would sync fine at 500Kb. Problem being as it's not Sky equipment after several hours it would say service error and you would get no internet, but still it reported 500Kb downstream.

I explained this to Sky who sent a new router. This worked for a short period, but again would be up to it's old tricks of the previous Sagem.

After another call and asking if I could attach my own equipment they sent another router. This time it would not connect what ever I tried, althought the BT one would.

Eventually they capped my speed at 64Kb and the router would happily sync and was like that for about 3 days. They promised a call back in 24 hours. This they failed to do.

I rang them again on Saturday with my ref number only to be put on hold for 40 mins and I hung up.

Surprise, Surprise I get a call at about 3pm asking them to check my connection. It's at 640Kb on the Sagem, and it seems to be stable. The chap on the phone said he would send out their new Netgear router and to see if that would resolved the issue.

He had stated he had capped the line at 1Mb, for the time being and I was to monitor it with the Sagem and my BT hub until the new Netgear turns up.

Again I popped the BT hub on the line and it synced at 1024Kb. Put in the Sagem and it could only get to 640Kb.

My question on here if anyone can answer, will the Netgear resolve my issue. I had the previous white Netgear that gave up the ghost on me, although when we had it the connection was stable.

Is this a fundamental flaw in the Sagem, Sky's software or is it my line.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Line Problem or Router

Quote Originally Posted by MeanMint View Post
      Is this a fundamental flaw in the Sagem, Sky's software or is it my line.
      Good question. I mean, from the post it would suggest that it's the phase 2 sagem that is giving you problems but I'm not aware of any specific flaws on the sagems (apart from the consensus that it's inferior to the netgear routers and the wireless channel glitch - but let's not get into that).

I'd just wait on the netgear router and monitor the connection with that. If you're still getting problems, then that baffles me really. At that point, if I was yourself, I'd get the dsl user : pass and just use your BT homehub if that stays stable.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have my login details, the problem the BT 1800HG hub has it will connect and you can use for a while, but in the detail stats it states it is waiting for confirmation from the DNS.

As soon as it gets this confirmation it reports a service error. Not ideal to keep re-booting the router when it does this.

Thanks for the response, I'll see what the Netgear is like and hopefully this will resolve my issue.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I don't know much about this hub, but maybe it needs the DNS servers in it changed, either to the Sky ones or to OpenDNS

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The DNS settings are set to automatic, I'll have a look at the open DNS page you linked.

Many Thanks

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If all the BT settings have not been cleaned out of it, it may be trying to connect to BT servers which then block it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Never thought of that.

The Open DNS looks straightforward and there is clear help on how to setup a 2Wire Hub, so it looks promising.

I'll give it a go when I get home tonight, and see how it reacts.

Again, many thanks.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Entered the DNS info for Opend DNS into the hub.

The Sagem was reporting a download speed of 160Kb last night. The BT Hub 512Kb.

The Hub has now been connected for about 15 hours and is still connected, at some point late last night early this morning it resynced at 900Kb.

If any one is interested I'll report back on how the Netgear performs when it turns up.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Netgear router turned up, and at fist it seemed ok.

Then started to play up like the rest of the routers. After many calls to sky and a scary look at my BT bill with over 14 in calls, I had enough.

My last contact with Sky they had done something would not say what as they said they could not discuss with me. But line was syncing at 512Kb. The chap then said he would put me on DLM. I asked if the would affect my line and he said no, any changes would be made during the early hours. What a croc.

The line was up and down, I tired to work with it but 6 days of inconsistent broadband took it's toll.

I rung them and asked for cancellations and requested my MAC code, which I was given over the phone.

I had to go back with BT in the end, got the Hub yesterday and all connected fine. Sync at 600Kb with an SNR of about 9Db. So far so good. I am very impressed with the HUB. The menu system is very clear and simple to use.

I just hope now that the long reach tests that BT are doing for upto 12Km lines will somehow work it's way to our village.

Thanks to all who have helped with their posts and no doubt I'll lurk around to see what problems people are having.