Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Recent drop in speed

This is a discussion on Recent drop in speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, After having recently moved across the street my internet speed has decreased, I was pulling 1.3Mb in my ...

Termin@l is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Recent drop in speed

Hi all,

After having recently moved across the street my internet speed has decreased, I was pulling 1.3Mb in my old and new house but the last few days it has dropped to 0.8Mb.

I've checked on Sky and there is no line testing going on at the moment and I have a BT ADSL 1.0 faceplate and I am on SkyMAX.

Here are my stats;

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1024 kbps 195 kbps
      Line Attenuation 76.5 db 53.2 db
      Noise Margin 7.4 db 10.0 db

I am a long distance from the exchange but I was happy enough with the 1.3 but 0.8 is taking the mickey a little as I online game it a lot as well as hammer the downloads a fair bit.

Any help will be appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Recent drop in speed

As your attenuation shows, you are a really long way from the exchange. What may be part of the problem is that you are on ADSL2+, which can be very poor on long lines. Phone Sky and ask them to put you on G.DMT, this peforms better on long lines and should increase your speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I will give them a ring in the morning and see what they say.

Thx

Thanks

Do it tonight, about 10.30pm, you have a better chance of getting right through to CST who do the actual change. Phoning during the day usually results in hanging on for ages.Getting past Tier 1 is usually the worst part.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I have just spoken with Sky and I hard reseted the modem and rebooted the PC which did not help. Then they asked me to go to the command prompt and type netstat. There does seem to be a lot of connections being made so now downloading adaware so I'll let you know how it goes.

btw she did not know what G.DMT was.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Done the scan which did throw up some spyware but removing them did not improve the speed. Having looked into it a bit more and having identified the conections by their PID there are only three services running which are AVG, MSN and IE Explorer so that is definately not the issue.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Termin@l View Post
      I have just spoken with Sky and I hard reseted the modem and rebooted the PC which did not help. Then they asked me to go to the command prompt and type netstat. There does seem to be a lot of connections being made so now downloading adaware so I'll let you know how it goes.

btw she did not know what G.DMT was.

Ah, the old 'netstat' fob off. As you have a long line, the speed check on sky's end probably suggests your line is only capable of around 512kb or so and thus you're apparently syncing at a higher speed than you should. What tier 1 do then is netstat in the cmd to check if it's a problem with bandwidth being used on the PC. It's part of the 'script' at tier 1 that if you have over 10 active connections, you're fobbed off due to bandwidth being used by processes on the operating system.

Call back now and mention that you rang up with too many processes running and you've now sorted it out and have less than 10. You'll be put through to the Customer Solutions Team who will then know what you're referring to by mentioning line codes etc. and they can increase the speed.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks

As User05 says, the Netstat thing is a fob off and the agent obviously doesn't know what that is either. Netstat is useful in detemining what is wrong if your throughput is low in comparison to your sync. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the rate you are syncing, which is your problem.

Hopefully, you have been sorted out by now.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

So have spoken with them again this morning and after he defended the whole netstat foboff thing I now have to do the good old put the connector directly into the test socket procedure and phone them back

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Termin@l View Post
      So have spoken with them again this morning and after he defended the whole netstat foboff thing I now have to do the good old put the connector directly into the test socket procedure and phone them back
      Don't get me wrong, it's useful when someone is syncing at their max attainable rate and their throughput is rubbish e.g. syncing at 1mb but only getting a throughput speed of say 50kb on speed tests etc. In your case, though, it's absolutely pointless. I wouldn't even blame it on the agent - I'd rather sooner blame it on sky dsl speed checker that more than likely suggests your line is capable of 512kb or even a very helpful text of 'slow connection' in some instances.

Once you're in the test socket they'll transfer you to CST who can do the necessary configurations. If they don't, then politely but firmly ask to be put through to them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast