Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

worryingly hot Netgear V1 DG834GT

This is a discussion on worryingly hot Netgear V1 DG834GT within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, As the title says, my ageing Sky DG834GT (White V1) has become worryingly hot, even in a well ...

diverse180 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

worryingly hot Netgear V1 DG834GT

Hi guys,

As the title says, my ageing Sky DG834GT (White V1) has become worryingly hot, even in a well ventilated area and on it's stand etc.

Since joining Sky a couple of years ago this is the only router that has been used...but it has never been this hot to the touch before and so I have a feeling it's getting ready to blow so to speak

I do have a new back-up Sky DG834GT (white V1) which was given to me a year or so ago and I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to use it, or would it be best to just contact Sky and ask if they can send a new router? (which I'm assuming would be the newer black model...and free of charge, I hope?)

Using the password tool I do have the info of the old router, but to be honest with you I'm not sure what I need to do with it if I were to try using the back-up? Do I just log into 192.168.0.1. using admin/sky and enter the details somewhere?

Sorry for the long post guys, but any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: worryingly hot Netgear V1 DG834GT

If you don't use the wireless, turn it off and see if it cools it down. To be honest Sky are unlikely to change your router just because it is hot.

If the second router you have is a Sky one it may 'work out of the box'. Plug it in and see. It depends whether it has been registered in Sky's data base. If it has not it will not connect and you will have to flash it to enable you to enter the user details. If it is not a Sky router you only have to put in the user details and it should work.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

diverse180 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Isitme...

I only use an ethernet connection so wireless was disabled long ago. As for the second 'back up' router, it is a Sky one.

Maybe I'll try it and see what happens...I just don't want my house to burn down because of possibly faulty router.

I'm sure any router shouldn't get this hot and so I was thinking that Sky would perhaps send a new one rather than just waiting until it just stops working, or worse...and I'm assuming that if I do use the back up Sky router it'll be against Skys T&C's as it wasn't specifically issued to me?

If the back up router has been registered with Skys database, is there anything I need to do or can I just use it as normal without entering any details of the old router into the new one?

Many thanks for the reply.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If it is registered with Sky, you can just use it as if it were your own. You don't have to change anything. As it is a Sky router with Sky firmware, I doubt if they will bother you about it.

There were a lot of reports about the V1 routers overheating in the early days, but in most cases it was caused by the router being used on flat, without the legs. As you have been using the legs it is probably just age catching up with it, as happens to us all.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.