Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Conectivity

This is a discussion on Conectivity within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Iím turning to these forums because no one else seems to be able to help me. Basicly my connection over ...

calitoxs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Genfield, Leicester (EMGLNFI)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: 6 mixes + sport
      Thanks

Conectivity

Iím turning to these forums because no one else seems to be able to help me.

Basicly my connection over the past few days has been appalling and I expect for the broadband to drop out again by the time of finishing this post.

Im on base and have been for the last 2 years and have moved house (same exchange) and have had numerous problems. But at the moument im at a loss for words. I have had my max delays reduced and my speed was reduced from 2mb to 1.5 but im not really bothered about that. I have spoken to sky who say its the phone line and had a bt engineer out saying the line is fine (no crackling and no one else in my street has had problems) it seems to me like each company is blaming the other.

Inside the router is plugged straight into the master socket (have tried the test socket but no difference)

Below are the stats its probably worth mentioning that the noise margin on downstream goes to 15db sometimes but seems stable at the moument.

Below are the stats
      System Up Time 00:05:46
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 713 730 0 2937 8748 00:00:59
      LAN 10M/100M 3543 3748 0 6124 2379 00:05:43
      WLAN 11M/54M 466 0 0 393 0 00:05:35

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1344 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.5 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 6.3 db 12.0 db

The only thing I have not tried is replacing the router but sky are not willing to do this.

Exchange (SamKnows Broadband - Availability - Glenfield (EMGLNFI) Exchange) I live in groby but this exchange covers my village to.

Any help would be great.

Sam.

2. Advertisement
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Conectivity

You could try a different microfilter, just in case the one you are using is not faulty.
      If you have any extensions disconnected the ring wire from terminal 3 on the faceplate.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

its probably worth mentioning that the noise margin on downstream goes to 15db sometimes but seems stable at the moument.
      This suggests there is a problem somewhere on your line. Can you please post your stats from the Test socket with nothing plugged in but the router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

The above test results are from the test socket with only the router plugged in. Its been fine over the last 2 days since I last posted. But this evening its started again.

BT have been out and check the line and said nothings wrong, sky says its a line issue BT say its a ISP issue. I feel powerless to do anything. Tried everything.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You mentioned that sky didn't send you a replacement CPE before sorting out a BTO engineer? If you can get your hands on a different router so you can at least rule out a router issue. Easiest way is via a friend or relative that has sky obviously or alternatively ring sky up and tell them you have no lights on the router, have tried another electrical socket and your connections to the router are fine. New router in 3-5 days.

Thanks

You mentioned that sky didn't send you a replacement CPE before sorting out a BTO engineer?
      Why not just say a replacement router so that everyone understands.

Good idea though, if it does not improve it will prove it is the line/exchange equipment that is faulty

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Why not just say a replacement router so that everyone understands.

Good idea though, if it does not improve it will prove it is the line/exchange equipment that is faulty
      Habit. Ha!

I like when the OP posts the fix/resolution they found so do let us know what happened OP!

Thanks

I like when the OP posts the fix/resolution they found so do let us know what happened OP!
      Yes there are some who come on the forum, get advice and are never heard from again.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

sorry in the delay. I completly forgot to keep checking on this. It only seems to happen in the evening now. During the day is fine. Over the last hour th ent drops but router says still connected on connection status and main page. Stats atm are...

System Up Time 00:47:51
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 237881 239419 0 6853 13686 00:47:00
      LAN 10M/100M 245120 244099 0 15476 8646 00:47:48
      WLAN 11M/54M 1595 565 0 147 7 00:47:40

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1536 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 17.9 db 13.0 db

Getting high noise margin again. Gonna give BT a ring tommrow. Gonna start threatening them that im going to virgin (which i probably will be if this keeps up) and see if they can get an engineer out.

Thanks

Getting high noise margin again. Gonna give BT a ring tommrow. Gonna start threatening them that im going to virgin (which i probably will be if this keeps up) and see if they can get an engineer out.
      There is not much point in phoning BT, they will refer you back to Sky with broadband problems. They will only check a line for broadband problems when asked to do so by the ISP.

There is definitely something wrong, your present sync speed and noise margin suggests you could get about 5 Mb, which is impossible with your very high noise margin. All you can do is keep on at Sky and ask them to have a broadband check carried out on your line by BT. They may agree to send you another router before they do that, which would rule it out of the equation.

TomD

Useful Utilites