Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Satellite Toshiba Laptop XP - Single Core

This is a discussion on Satellite Toshiba Laptop XP - Single Core within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; The machine is nearly 10 years old I fuess and has served me well; still does except. I f you ...

JRK
      JRK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Satellite Toshiba Laptop XP - Single Core

The machine is nearly 10 years old I fuess and has served me well; still does except. I f you excuse my bad language. when I was with BTOpenworld, using my laptop via wireless connection I was able to see speed of 54 or was it 56 MBPS. Whatever! Now I have my PC hard wired, working perfectly 1394 = 400MBPS and LAN 100. I use Win XP by the way.

My wireless laptop works at 54 MBPS when I use it next to my PC. In another room just above my PC station it is also at 54MBPS but drops to as little as 20 MBPS occasional, usually during the night.

It is set up using SKY directions.

While I do not expect my SKY MAX efficiency wirelessly (or should I) and bearing in mind the older XP technology.

My Laptop has a disconnected MARVEL YUKON PCAI FAST ETHERNET CONTROLLER 88E8036 LAN CONNECTION available!!!! I guess that SKY rules preclude any other form of connection. In any case I am an innocent abroad trying to mess that up, sorry install. I recall when I was a prisoner of BT OPENWORLD that is what I used..

Am I stuck with all this or can I do something to improve speed?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Satellite Toshiba Laptop XP - Single Core

The speed you see is the speed your laptop is connecting to the router. This has little to do with the speed you are connecting to the internet. Unless you have a very fast connection even 20 mbps should be plenty to handle your internet speed. The only downside comes when you want to transfer data from your laptop to another PC or vice-versa, this would slow it down.

In saying that, you may be able to increase the connection speed to 54mbps by changing the channel in the router. To do this go into the Wireless settings of the router and change the mode from Auto to 'g only'. Then use the drop down box to change the channel. Start at No 13 and work your way down till you find the most suitable.

Incidentally, the '1394 = 400MBPS' you see refers to the Firewire card in your Laptop and has nothing to do with the LAN or the internet.

My Laptop has a disconnected MARVEL YUKON PCAI FAST ETHERNET CONTROLLER 88E8036 LAN CONNECTION available!!!!
      Connect your laptop with a cable to the router and it should connect at 100mbps.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

JRK
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank you......
      I believe SKY policy is not to mess about with the router settings; channels etc. I used to go into my settings when I was with BT no probs. SKY do not want that I would guess because it causes more problems than it would cure.
      Hard wiring the laptop I could do, but the object was to have it in another room, as things stand I cannot use the SKYPLAYER due to constant freezing while buffering.
      Reducing the seeting from highest quality seems to make a slight difference but is not really satisfactory. Perhaps with a new Laptop but this one works well enough provided I don't make the sort of demands we are talking about.

JRK

Thanks

I believe SKY policy is not to mess about with the router settings; channels etc.
      I don't know who told you that, it is certainly not true. You can 'mess about' with as many settings in the router that you have access to. Changing the channel the router is set to by default is not only recommended, but in many cases absolutely necessary. Just imagine if everyone in a block of flats or even a street was using a Sky router with the default channel. It would be almost impossible to get any wireless working at all.

If you are worried that things may go wrong, don't be. You can reset the router to exactly the way you received it from Sky by pushing a pin into the reset button and holding it there until the lights flash.

There is no other reasonable way you can improve the wireless reception, except by changing the channel.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

JRK
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank you again.

You access the settings by ............................?

I would guess that I would be changing the channel for both PC and Laptop.

May sound a daft question but it is appropriate for my peace of mind. In the meantime I will press a few buttons and see if the settings emerge.

JRK

Nigelh is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Hitchin
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV: and Multiroom
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JRK View Post
      Thank you......

Hard wiring the laptop I could do, but the object was to have it in another room, as things stand I cannot use the SKYPLAYER due to constant freezing while buffering.
      Reducing the seeting from highest quality seems to make a slight difference but is not really satisfactory. Perhaps with a new Laptop but this one works well enough provided I don't make the sort of demands we are talking about.

JRK
      I use a Toshiba lap top in my office, which is wired into the network, and connects at 100mbps. Even at that speed, I cannot use Sky Player on the highest quality without lots of buffering.

Try reducing the quality, I found that on a 17" screen it was still a perfectly good picture.

JRK
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank you for your help.

I may have missed one private reply due to finger trouble - accidental deletion. If someone thinks I ignored them that is the reason.

Thanks

You access the settings by ............................?

I would guess that I would be changing the channel for both PC and Laptop.
      Type this in or simply click the link - http://192.168.0.1
      When the authentication box opens - type admin for the username and sky for the password.
      Click the Wireless Settings link in the Left menu.

You only change the channel on the router, don't worry about the PC, it will find the channel automatically.

Even at that speed, I cannot use Sky Player on the highest quality without lots of buffering.
      This is down to the bandwidth you have available. In an office there is usually plenty available, but your IT may have configured it to allow each user a specific amount, to stop any one person from hogging it all.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Nigelh is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Hitchin
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV: and Multiroom
      Thanks

Not in our office, I can say that with a degree of confidence as I speak to them regularly. I wasn't that worried anyway, the picture quality on medium and low seemed fine as far as I could tell, in fact as good as watching on a flat screen TV, and it didn't then buffer. I put it down to havng a low spec graphics card.

Thanks

You could be right but buffering is usually down to the data being downloaded too slowly to be displayed. The higher the quality of the video the more bandwidth it requires so the longer it takes to download.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast