Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speed decrease - 1.5mb+

This is a discussion on Speed decrease - 1.5mb+ within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello all! Over the past few weeks I have noticed dramatic decreases in speed on my line, seemingly all since ...

Toeknee2112 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stony Stratford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Speed decrease - 1.5mb+

Hello all!

Over the past few weeks I have noticed dramatic decreases in speed on my line, seemingly all since this DLM stuff kicked off.
      I live on a very long line, 3.39km at least. I used to sync at 2.5-2.7mb and this was the case for months, I had absolutely no problem sitting at this speed, it was all completely stable. Then approximately 3 weeks ago I got onto a slippery slope downhill and am now at 1020kb sync speed which is seems to have stuck at for about 2 weeks now.

I have e-mailed sky regarding this and they at one point said they could only sync me at 1600 however this went out of the window after a day!

I have plugged my router directly into the test socket with my router displaying no change in stats.
      My stats currently are:

Upstream: Noise margin 8db Attenuation 84db
      Downstream: Noise Margin 13db Attenuation 63db

Does anyone have any ideas as to where I could start to try and get this sorted out? I'm not 100% sure but I think my stats previously were better than the above.

I would be grateful for any thoughts.

Many thanks for your time

Tony

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Speed decrease - 1.5mb+

As you say, probably DLM.

If so then I suspect that it has set you to ADSL2+ whereas before you were probably on G.DMT. With long, high attenuation lines on Sky, G.DMT sometimes performs better.

The best thing would be to call Sky (if you can stand the long wait), go through slow speed troubleshooting and get through to CST. Late at night can be the best time to get through quickly.

If you get to CST, ask them to turn off DLM, uncap your connection (you are currently capped) and try G.DMT. With luck that will put you back to your old speeds - unless and until DLM kicks in again

PS There's also something very wrong with your upstream. The attenuation is much too high. Check your filters.

Thanks

Marvellous stuff, that will be the lovely task I take on tomorrow after work I think!!

My upstream is an odd one really, its always been at 700kb/s not ever changed at all.

Recently changed my filters too.

Thanks for the input, shall let you know how it goes!

Thanks

Just got off the phone to a sky lady and done the relevant testing and what not, wasting in total 30 minutes of my life.
      She came to the conclusion that there was nothing they could do and it was an internal problem despite the 1mb connection speed.

So presumably im now left with no other option but to move provider hoping that they have a team that can perhaps help a bit more and be just as clued up as a forum reader.

Any other suggestions at all?

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Did you not get through to CST then?

If not then that's pretty appalling - if you did then that is too

Thanks

Presuming CST isnt the first set of people that pick up the phone then no I didnt get through to them. I did ask to be put through to a more technically minded department but apparently it doesnt exist!!

I've sent an e-mail to CST so hopefully that will do me some good, if not then im going to wave goodbye

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think you are yet another with a very long line who has been put on ADSL2+, when the line is not capable of supporting it. You may get somewhere with an email but unless you specifically mention that you are on ADSL2+ and want put back to G.DMT, you will be fobbed off. You are better phoning and if they will not put you through ask to speak to a team leader or manager. They at least, should understand the problem and put you through to CST.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Well it seems you guys were correct with the ADSL 2+ thing. Got an e-mail this morning saying that I had been switch back over and uncapped etc. Instantly I saw a 1mb increase, hopefully it will continue to go up over the next few days back to what it used to be.

Many thanks for all your input and help