Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Should i fit a filtered faceplate or not?

This is a discussion on Should i fit a filtered faceplate or not? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Also would i really need one if the changes in the test socket or very minor in terms of improvement ...

lynnwood1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: denton burn
      Broadband ISP: 02
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: 02 standard
      Thanks

Re: Should i fit a filtered faceplate or not?

Also would i really need one if the changes in the test socket or very minor in terms of improvement and i mean minor sometimes if i turn off modem and plug into test socket and put back on the speed can actually drop...not sure if thats because it thinks there is a disconnection

2. Advertisement
      lynnwood1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: denton burn
      Broadband ISP: 02
      Sky TV: 02 standard
      Thanks

These are my latest stats and as i said if i turn off or unplug filter from faceplate sometimes reconnects slower speed.

When i spoke to sky person they said that my line was set or synced at 5472 and would not be changed manually at there end but as u can see that speed only lasted 1 day now its 5216 and looks stable to i am scared to disconnect to try in test socket etc incase it drops my speeds again.

Router StatisticsSystem Up Time: 13:41:27

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 43747 55911 0 0 0 13:40:16
      LAN 65487 51239 0 0 0 13:41:27
      WLAN 0 0 0 0 0 13:41:00
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5216 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 47.0 db 29.0 db
      Noise Margin 7.4 db 14.0 db

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

As a general rule if you can use a filter faceplate, then you should. However it does not always fit in with domestic plans, they may already be a handy extension socket and the idea of running a special DSL extension may not appeal.
      If you have a long line, say 50dB or more attenuation, and you have some internal extension sockets, then a filter faceplate is a real benifit and you should try and follow these if you can.

(1) Check that with the normal faceplate removed from the master, and the test socket exposed, you only have a dial tone at the test socket and any alarms you may have also show that the line is disconnected. Dont forget to check Sky boxes.

(2) Try and have the router as close as possible to the filter faceplate and use cable to connect to your computer. If cable cannot be run, then you could use mains Homeplugs, through they can cause interferance to radio hams, so try to avoid them if possible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12