Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speed and download issues

This is a discussion on Speed and download issues within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; If my router says something of the order of 6143/606 then is my theoretical download is 6143/8 = 767 kB/s ...

return2base is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Speed and download issues

If my router says something of the order of 6143/606 then is my theoretical download is 6143/8 = 767 kB/s ?

If so, then if I am downloading something at 100kB/s why does my connection seem incredibly slow, not stalled, but slow ? Surely I am only using 13% of the speed currently available on my line ?

Am I getting this all messed up ?

If not (or someone would care to explain the whole thing), why does my connection seem slower with a "spare" 500 kB/s than it did with nothing downloading and a maximum of 200 kB/s ?

Also, I have had it downloading at 500 kB/s so 100 kB/s is not the maximum. Just where does this other capacity go as it sure isn't available !

Many thanks

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Speed and download issues

It depends on what and where you are downloading from, it can only come in at the speed they are sending it out.

Post your router stats and let's see if there is something else going on.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      It depends on what and where you are downloading from, it can only come in at the speed they are sending it out.

Post your router stats and let's see if there is something else going on.
      Agreed, but if I had a pipe 10cm wide and the guy sending me water through the pipe was sending it from a 1cm wide pipe, I would have the equivalent of a 9cm pipe doing nothing. I don't seem to be able to utilise that 9cm.

Stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6143 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 45.5 db 26.1 db
      Noise Margin 7.9 db 16.0 db

tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

your router sync rate of 6143kbps is line sync rate but throughput (actual usable bandwidth) is approx 5000kbps give or take , this is due headers for each packet of info beeing stripped away when you recieve this at your end, but on other side make sure when downloading some sites slower than others but make have mirror or alternative links to try , also check pc for any other programmes also using connection as this will affect downloads

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tenar View Post
      your router sync rate of 6143kbps is line sync rate but throughput (actual usable bandwidth) is approx 5000kbps give or take , this is due headers for each packet of info beeing stripped away when you recieve this at your end, but on other side make sure when downloading some sites slower than others but make have mirror or alternative links to try , also check pc for any other programmes also using connection as this will affect downloads
      Not sure I understand you. You are saying that 20% of my speed is not available due to headers. I don't know what they are or why they should account for 20% of my available bandwidth.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You can expect to see about 85-88% of your sync speed as your true download speed. As explained above this is due to overheads on the connection. Overheads are made up of all the things you do not see, for example, every bit of data you send or receive has a sender and receiver address attached. These are not part of the data you send or receive but must be included to ensure the packet gets to where you have sent it and the destination knows where it has come from. A bit like sending a package or letter by post, it must have an address on it or it will not know where to go. Also included is dropped packets, ie, packets which have not been sent or received properly, these have to be resent, using more bandwidth.

One way to cut down on overheads is to ensure your PC is properly optimised, you can do this by using something like DrTCP in the link below. This is aimed mainly at XP, but there is advice on the site for Vista users.

It is also important to check that you do not have malware using your connection or P2P software which may hog bandwidth.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.