Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Very slow speed in Mansfield

This is a discussion on Very slow speed in Mansfield within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just as well I didn't hold my breath. Never got a callback & I still have the same problem. I ...

jefword is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01623
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Very slow speed in Mansfield

Just as well I didn't hold my breath. Never got a callback & I still have the same problem.
      I have now been on the phone for an hour being passed from pillar to post.
      People I talk to at sky seem to have no idea what to do.

Apparently I have been switched over to SVBN whatever that is.

The Customer Solutions team which I was transfered to from the original call centre operator said they could do nothing and I was then transfered to their SVBN department who then passed me on to a "SVBN Customer Solutions team"

I don't know what these are going to do as I've been on hold for 30 minutes waiting for someone to answer.

Think It's time to jump ship & look elsewhere for TV, phone and broadband.

I have honestly never spoken to such an incompetent call centre organisation.

Does anyone have any further suggestions.

2. Advertisement
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Miraculously an hour later someone who actually seemed to be interested phoned me from the SVBN CST to look into the problem but he and his colleague were baffled. They tried to connect me at 1meg then 1/2 meg but had to go back to 127kbps.

They are going to first send me a new router to see if that is the problem & then I have to ring back, go on hold for another hour & then they will do a full line test if the router is not at fault.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Three weeks have now passed since the initial fault. I have spent over five hours on the phone to Sky. They sent me a new router and it would not connect at all.
      My old one connects if they cap me to 128kbps but not any higher.

They sent an engineer from BT/Open Reach who did several tests and then found out that if he wires his modem into the green junction box at the end of my street it will connect & download at 2 meg, but if he wires it into the telegraph pole near my house it will not connect. He tried connecting me to a spare set of wires between telegraph pole & junction box but to no avail.

He then turned round and said that Sky only allow him two hours to investigate the fault, complained that he couldn't understand a word that the Asian Sky call centre personnel were saying (nor could the people at his depot) & went, telling me to contact them again. When I rang Sky they said he had reported that the problem was fixed.

Sky are now sending another Open Reach engineer out tomorrow (Thursday)
      The problem may be between junction box & pole but it's a coincidence that it started the day Sky switched over to using their own equipment at the exchange. By the way, the engineer had never heard of SVBN

I feel my only option is to tell them to shove the TV phone & broadband & get Virgin installed but this is more expensive.

Does anyone have any more suggestions?
      Last edited by jefword; 02-09-09 at 07:36 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Sky Voice and Broadband Network, Sky's new network, so it is not surprising a BTO engineer has not heard of it, many who work with Sky haven't either.

I don't really know but I suppose it is possible this new network can only run connections on ADSL2. If this is so, it is very bad news for many like yourself who have very long lines. I am still fairly sure this is at the root of your problem, although a line fault may be partly to blame.

All I can suggest is that you call Sky again and ask them to put your line on G.DMT. If they refuse or cannot, all you can do is threaten to cancel the whole broadband and phone package, as what you are receiving is definitely not broadband.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi, Thanks for your reply. Sorry I didn't respond earlier but the 2nd engineer came out & got Sky to turn up speed to 2meg again, thus cutting my internet access off.

After his allocated 2 hours & attempts to connect by using different sets of cables with a higher copper content between the cab & telegraph pole he left with a promise to find out more & ring back later that day. I never heard from him again.

I contacted Sky a few days later, got them to put me back on 128kbps so I could access the internet. I asked about being taken off SVBN & they said "no chance, everyone will eventually be on it." He then tried a few new settings to solve the problem but failed.

I made them aware that my only option is to go to Virgin Media for Phone Broadband & TV to which the reply was that they would sent Open Reach out for a third time on Tuesday with instructions to fix it no matter how long it takes.
      He did sound like he was genuinely interested in solving this problem.

The first question I will ask the engineer is "Have you been authorised to spend longer than two hours to sort it"

I wonder what his answer will be?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

the SVBN (which ALL of CST know about) is Sky's MSAN network (referred to as ISAMs at Sky)...basically an MPF service as opposed to SMPF, and is used if you now have everything with Sky...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

the SVBN (which ALL of CST know about)
      All who work in Sky are not in CST

I asked about being taken off SVBN & they said "no chance, everyone will eventually be on it."
      I hope he meant all who are on Sky Phone Rental, I certainly don't want my line hijacked by Sky. If they go down the same road as TalkTalk and insist on having the phone rental, then it will be goodbye Sky.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well I'm up and running again. After nearly six weeks and seven visits from BT engineers the problem was eventually diagnosed as faulty equipment that had been installed by Sky at the telephone exchange.
      Apparently several other peoples broadband has gone down in the area but I was the first & they now know what the problem is.
      They are still baffled by the fact that it would connect at the cab 800 metres away but not at the end of my street.
      Thanks to all who have given advice & enabled me to pass it on to the BT engineers.
      Cheers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12