Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

help me, real slow internet

This is a discussion on help me, real slow internet within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ive had my sky internet up and running about 3 weeks now at my new address and im actually very ...

J3OEF is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

help me, real slow internet

Ive had my sky internet up and running about 3 weeks now at my new address and im actually very gutted about the speeds as ive paid for upto 10mb and all i am getting is 90kbps on downloads and slow browsing in general, not good for going on xbox live etc.

I rang sky and they said there was nothing they could do and thats the fastest i can achieve.

my stats are below at present

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 896 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63 db 31 db
      Noise Margin 6 db 15 db

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: help me, real slow internet

You have a long line, but we'll need a bit more info to check whether it's possible for more speed.

Where are those stats from - an extension, master or test socket? If they're not from your test socket, then plug into the test socket with a new filter with the light grey rj11 cable that SKY supplied. Take your stats from there and post them back up.

If they are from the test socket, for your attenuation I'd imagine you could push out a bit more speed but something is creating noise on your line making it not possible to sync any higher. Did you get through to CST when you called sky?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J3OEF View Post
      at my new address and im actually very gutted about the speeds as ive paid for upto 10mb and all i am getting is 90kbps
      The problem you have is that the new address is quite far from the exchange. The service is an upto 10mb figure because the distance plays a large part on the speeds you will receive, you are only just hanging on to what you have now.

As advised, you need to find your test socket and post the stats again from there just in case you have some internal wiring problems that are also holding you back.

You will never see 10mb from that address though, well not with Sky anyway.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I rang sky and they said there was nothing they could do and thats the fastest i can achieve.
      With your present stats they are quite correct. I am surprised DLM has not run on your line, it would do no good, in fact it would make things worse. The only thing it would do was show the full attenuation which could be a bit more than that shown at present.

Plug into your test socket and post the stats from there.

If you don't have a Test socket, remove the faceplate on the master and pull the orange wire off the No 3 terminal. This is the bell wire for old phones and is not needed and can interfere with broadband. Be careful not to disturb the other wires.

Make sure that everything connected to the phone line is going through a filter.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It is already plugged into the test socket, the phone point for some reason is in the kitchen and the computer in living room, i have ran a phone extension from there to the computer with the filter on the end then the relevant cables going to the relevant places.

why am i at that exchange when one is closer in bury? not by much but every little helps

Thanks

Your telephone extension cable is no doubt causing problems. It may be awkward, but take your router into the kitchen and connect it direct to the Test socket and move your PC if needs be. You can use a longer ethernet cable to connect the router and PC if you have one.

You would need to ask BT why you are not connected to the nearest exchange. It just depends how their phone lines are laid out.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i have plugged the modem into master socket and done away with the telephone extension and used a ethernet cable instead, below is the results and then again, seems to be intermitting between these :s

Connection Speed 1024 kbps 416 kbps
      Noise Margin 7 db 16 db

then,

Connection Speed 0 kbps 0 kbps
      Noise Margin 2147483647 db 16 db

Thanks

The first shows that you were loosing a bit with the telephone extension, but the second shows your connection is dropping. If this did not happen before it may mean that the filter is not making a good contact in the test socket. Work it in and out a few times and wiggle it about, then push it fully in. If you have some WD40 handy a squirt of this to the plug sometimes helps contact.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

after carrying that test it seems something is wrong, when plugged in as above the connection kept dropping and was having issues, i have now reverted back to the way i had it and the connection is not dropping out or anything, although results have dropped

Connection Speed 928 kbps 416 kbps
      Noise Margin 8 db 16 db

also, where my bt socket is, i have a small thing on the wall with bt on it, what is this? small rectangular box

Thanks

also, where my bt socket is, i have a small thing on the wall with bt on it, what is this? small rectangular box
      It could be a simple junction box or a filter. Open it up and make sure it is clean inside with no loose terminals.

Maybe Brian will comment if he is still around?

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast