Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Connection slows down randomly

This is a discussion on Connection slows down randomly within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, I am hoping someone can help out I have been with Sky for over 2 years on the ...

mmbecks7 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connection slows down randomly

Hi guys,

I am hoping someone can help out I have been with Sky for over 2 years on the Sky Max package. I have been getting download speeds of around 14Megs constantly, no drops no slow down. Over the past 10 days my connection speed randomly slows down. My router shows it's synced at 15.5megs but I can hardly browse or watch videos and speed tests come back at 700kbps. Upload speed is unaffected. I have been talking to Sky support who are trying to help but haven't got anywhere yet. They have sent me a replacement router but this hasn't helped. I tried plugging into the master socket, still the same results. I do not have the test socket as mentioned in the forum here. This is really puzzling as I haven't changed anything. This is the case for all the laptops at home. My laptop is connected to the router with an ethernet cable.

I have now got the Sagem router and have turned upnp off too, but this hasn't helped either. Rebooting the router does not always solve the issue. It's very random. Here are some stats from the router:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 2033 1783 0 0 0 0:16:48
      LAN 2891 3147 0 0 0 0:17:44
      WLAN 0 0 0 0 0 0:17:19
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 15487 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 22.5 db 11.5 db
      Noise Margin 6.6 db 15.0 db

Thanks in advance!

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Connection slows down randomly

Are those stats from the master or extension socket? Bit strange it's effecting all the laptops' throughput. When you were on the phone to sky, did they mention anything about cells or errors to you. Did they try capping your line a bit or anything?

Try changing over all the filters in the house (assuming you haven't done so) and failing that, then plug the router into the master socket and unplug any telephony devices throughout the house connected to other tel sockets. Paste your stats with only the filter > ADSL cable into your master socket ensuring you're using the light grey rj11 cable that SKY supplied. Also then try out a speed test (preferably the one found on this site) and see if it's improved the throughput.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,

Many thanks for the reply. Yes, this is the master socket (closes one to the entrance). Sky did say they are seeing some errors building up on my line and did bring the speed down from 16megs to 15.5 Megs on their end and asked me to monitor for 24 hours (this is the second time now ). I've changed the filters a couple of days ago but no effect. I noticed that the downstream noise margin changes every 10 seconds from around 6.4db to 7.3db on the router stat page. Could this have any effect? Connection is working fine now, I'm getting 13.5Mbps downstream. I have noticed this happens more in the morning but also happens in the evening (less times though). Here are the stats from the router at this time:

OUTER STATISTICS

System Up Time: 7:03:40
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 112425 144815 0 0 0 7:02:44
      LAN 158503 126004 0 0 0 7:03:40
      WLAN 2620 1934 0 0 0 7:03:15
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 15487 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 22.5 db 11.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 15.5 db

As you can see noise margin is 7.3db compared to 6.6db earlier on, this changes approximately every 10 seconds on the router. Is this normal?

I also have a Sky+ HD box plugged into the same socket i.e. Sky+ HD and telephone line (pre-filter) and that is going into the telephone socket of filter, this has been like that since it was installed 4 months ago.

Many thanks

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

All that matters it that it stays stable, if it works all night then don't worry about it.

krysis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy17 View Post
      All that matters it that it stays stable, if it works all night then don't worry about it.
      Well can hardly say that if the guy is paying for a service he is intermittently receiving.

Have you tried testing this with just 1 computer connected to see if it is affected.
      May just be a shared bandwidth thing.
      Are any of your computers connecting wirelessly? If not, turn the wirelss off on your router incase someone has managed to use your wireless connection and is hogging your bandwidth..

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Have you checked and removed any wires connected to terminal 3 on the rear of the master faceplate? If not, do so as it may stabilise your line again.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Andy17

Well can hardly say that if the guy is paying for a service he is intermittently receiving.
      He also has an attenuation which should support a much higher speed! There is a forum member with almost double his attenuation who is getting over 14.5 Mb, no names no pack drill as they say.
      Not having a test socket is a bit of a set back. If he has extensions wired into the master socket he would be well advised to change his existing box to an NTE5. He should also disconnect the HD box for the time being, the modems in these have been known to cause connection problems.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi guys,

Many thanks for the replies...I tried various things but none helped...I started by switching off my wireless and then changing my wpa password to double check no one was using my wifi, but this did not help...I also unplugged my sky hd box from the telephone socket, but my connection just slowed down again...It happens randomly and I don't know what triggers it...I'm starting to think there might be a problem at the exchange??? My exchange is Lords (wewlor). I will give support a call tomorrow, but not keeping my hopes high....

I will look at the wiring to see if that will helps too... The odd thing is my connection has been solid for almost 2 years and this starts happening...Very odd!

Thanks

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Are you experiencing this slow down when connected by wire? Wireless can be very fickle and inconsistent.

Another few things you can check-
      Are you running P2P software, this includes BBCi player etc.?
      Have you checked your laptop for malware? If not download and run - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com.
      If you are running XP try taking the Tweak Test from the DrTCP link below. If it recommends, download and run DrTCP to make the changes. There is also advice there for Vista, although it is pretty well optimised out of the box.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,

I've been talking with support for the past couple of days and boy it's been hard work...Waiting on the line, transferred from team to team only to be told that someone will call me back and guess what, no one calls...I've spent a couple of hours on the phone yesterday and I have to say this is one of the worst customer support calls I have ever had... I will give this a couple more days, but my ticket has been open for 2 weeks, yes 2 weeks!! They are just going round in circles; we'll cap your connection at 14.5megs, we'll bring it back up to 15.5megs, no wait, we need to put it back to 14.5megs!!! I can't seem to get through to someone who can actually help!

Have others experienced this with Sky also?? If no one makes an effort to help in the next couple of days, I will be asking for my MAC code...They don't seem to care that much anyway by the look of things....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast