Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Serious Connectivity Issues

This is a discussion on Serious Connectivity Issues within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi My Sky BB went live today and I'm having some problems which aren't down to the normal 10 day ...

junpit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Serious Connectivity Issues

Hi

My Sky BB went live today and I'm having some problems which aren't down to the normal 10 day cycle.

I'm 700m from the exchange and the same modem was used previously as I was with sky just over 10 months ago and I used to get about 15meg.

This is really scary. I can't afford for BT to assign me a 15db differential due to these drop-outs.

When making a phone call a hissing can be heard on the line. The broadband drops as soon as you pick up the receiver and the hissing stops. The hissing occurs as a result of ADSL activity.

If someone rings the adsl drops etc.

I'm pretty clued about these things. I have a filtered faceplate from ADSL nation. I don't think this is the problem. I took my faceplate off and plugged 2 different brand new filters into the test port and the problem still exists. To me this means this is not an issue with filters and my faceplate is probably OK.

Any ideas? Am I looking at a line fault?

Thanks

Junpit

2. Advertisement
      lee2007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Serious Connectivity Issues

stats from the router are needed first, postthem up and give us all a look

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Is the noise only present on the PSTN when you have the router plugged in? In other words, is the line clear with the router disconnected from the line?

If the noise is ONLY present with the router plugged in and you've already changed filters and also confirmed it's not internal problems via the test socket, then you need to contact sky and get through to CST who should take necessary action for the fault.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

This is really scary. I can't afford for BT to assign me a 15db differential due to these drop-outs.
      If you are with Sky LLU BT will have nothing to do with your line. Except BT Openreach who may have to repair it.

It is possible you router is faulty or you have a line fault. Let's hope its the former as that is usually easier to get fixed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok.

I'm 700m from the exchange.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2872 kbps 581 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31.5 db 15.5 db
      Noise Margin 6.4 db 3.6 db

The following is apparent. The adsl activity is causing a hissing sound on the normal phone. The internet drops and reconnects on picking up the phone, putting it down and when it rings. This is a not a filter issue. I have had 3 different filters on, all plugged into teh test socket.

The tech support guy at Sky ordered me a new router as he said it was faulty. I didn't believe him. Whilst the router could cause interference on the normal phone, its virtually impossible for the phone to interfere with the filters.

Since then I bought a router from argos and considering any adsl activity causes noise, I thought switching it on when connected to my phone line would show for certain whether my sky router was faulty. I switched the new belkin router and it started hissing. Armed with thsi info I contacted sky yeta again. It for 1.5 hours to get through but the end result is that I now have a BT engineer coming Monday morning.

I hope this works out OK. At 700m I should be getting about 20 meg with a low attenuation figure of about 10. It shouldnt be 30+.

Thanks

Junpit

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

When BT installed the line 2 years ago the engineer told me the exact line length. It was between 700 and 800m.

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by junpit View Post
      Ok.

I'm 700m from the exchange.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2872 kbps 581 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31.5 db 15.5 db
      Noise Margin 6.4 db 3.6 db

The following is apparent. The adsl activity is causing a hissing sound on the normal phone. The internet drops and reconnects on picking up the phone, putting it down and when it rings. This is a not a filter issue. I have had 3 different filters on, all plugged into teh test socket.

The tech support guy at Sky ordered me a new router as he said it was faulty. I didn't believe him. Whilst the router could cause interference on the normal phone, its virtually impossible for the phone to interfere with the filters.

Since then I bought a router from argos and considering any adsl activity causes noise, I thought switching it on when connected to my phone line would show for certain whether my sky router was faulty. I switched the new belkin router and it started hissing. Armed with thsi info I contacted sky yeta again. It for 1.5 hours to get through but the end result is that I now have a BT engineer coming Monday morning.

I hope this works out OK. At 700m I should be getting about 20 meg with a low attenuation figure of about 10. It shouldnt be 30+.

Thanks

Junpit
      You have alot of noise on the line, try connected to the test socket detailed info in link below in sig. Then repost your stats.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Let's hope the engineer can find the fault. You seem to have done everything necessary except maybe a quiet line test. To do this plug a corded phone into the Test socket and dial 17070 option 2 and listen. Can you hear anything other than a very quiet hiss? If you can that is probably your problem.

If your line is so short, you should be in the teens at most with your attenuation, not up in the 30s. If your line sounds clear, then that only leaves the exchange ADSL equipment, I hope Sky have authorised the engineers to check this as well as the line health.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy17 View Post
      You have alot of noise on the line, try connected to the test socket detailed info in link below in sig. Then repost your stats.
      They are about the same from the test port.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Let's hope the engineer can find the fault. You seem to have done everything necessary except maybe a quiet line test. To do this plug a corded phone into the Test socket and dial 17070 option 2 and listen. Can you hear anything other than a very quiet hiss? If you can that is probably your problem.

If your line is so short, you should be in the teens at most with your attenuation, not up in the 30s. If your line sounds clear, then that only leaves the exchange ADSL equipment, I hope Sky have authorised the engineers to check this as well as the line health.
      I did the quiet line test. Every now and again you can hear a crackle and a very slight buzzing. Its not massive but it is there. I don't know how far I'm going to get but I am going to push the BT engineer as to why the line is so noisy for so short a distance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast