Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Moving to plusnet concerns

This is a discussion on Moving to plusnet concerns within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, I've posted recently on my problems with the sky connect package, and most of you told me I ...

h3dg3h0g is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whimple
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Moving to plusnet concerns

Hi guys,

I've posted recently on my problems with the sky connect package, and most of you told me I should leave.
      I've done exactly that, and bought myself a year's subscription to plusnet's business package for 26 per month (recommended by many people here)

I bought yesterday, and since I've been looking at many negative reviews on plusnet (in general, not the package) that avoided me earlier.

I have no LLUs available at my exchange, so I figured this is the best choice for under 30 per month. I was told that for my situation, Plusnet (or Zen or Idnet) would be my best choice if I didn't want evenings of throttled speeds.

Anyway, I've noticed that plusnet has incredibly low ratings on lots of these broadband comparison sites.

So, what does this mean? Why the low ratings?
      Reassure me. Please

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Moving to plusnet concerns

The best way to judge an ISP is through their forum, especially one like Plusnet who are not afraid to allow criticism on their forum. I know some ISPs edit their forum and remove the warts, Plusnet don't.

This link will take you to the Testimonials section, where you will find links to other parts of the forum. The Plusnet forum is second only to SkyUser, in my opinion.

Testimonials | Community Site

Hopefully your mind will be set at rest.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

As an ex-Plusnet user my guess is that the biggest negatives will be the traffic shaping and FUP policies that they have. As Isitme says, their forum is open and honest, to the point of having PN staff joining in the discussions.

I moved to Sky because their domestic pricing couldn't match the Max package - the nearest they could offer at the time was an 8Mb service for 19.99 a month, though that is cheaper now. I have had their business package in the past and it was very good. They have made some major mistakes in the past (including allowing someone to hack their database and harvest every incoming and outgoing email address) but are at least open enough to admit they are not perfect and work out solutions. For a BT subsidiary that is pretty remarkable!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I should have added that I was a very satisfied customer of Plusnet for years. I only left them due to the much lower cost of Sky. They are upfront about their throttling policy and tailor it to what you want to pay.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.