Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Snr?

This is a discussion on Snr? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by briancst1 your line might be in DLM dynamic line manager DYNAMIC LINE MANAGEMENT ( DLM ) Balancing ...

hyeung is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Snr?

Quote Originally Posted by briancst1 View Post
      your line might be in DLM dynamic line manager

DYNAMIC LINE MANAGEMENT (DLM)
      Balancing the Fastest Possible Speed with Service Stability

Connect's DLM is unique to BT and is the next step forward in line speed management, making use of the increased configuration options available with ADSL2+.

DLM works by logging and monitoring actual line performance every 15 minutes and using this information to stabilise the line, avoiding lost connections and interruptions to service. A 'maximum stable rate' is set by monitoring line performance over the first 10 days in service, and DLM then oversees the process automatically. DLM has three key elements:
      Active Line Optimisation if performance falls outside pre-set limits, the line is 'retrained' by reducing the speed until an acceptable level of stability is established. When a line has been retrained, it will speed up and return to the maximum stable rate.
      Intelligent Profiling using existing line performance data to set the best starting profile for a new or re-graded line reduces 'early life' faults.
      Service Stability Policies offering flexibility in balancing speed and stability by customising DLM to match the performance requirements of different services.

Source: BT Wholesale
      I didnt think my line was subject to DLM via BT. I'm on LLU with Sky and as i understand, Sky have their own DLM?
      But i don't think i'm on any DLM. Am i wrong to think that if my linespeed is configured at 10Meg (capped), then DLM does not apply to me?

Or can you still be capped at a given linespeed, and still be on DLM with Sky?

If Sky have their own DLM, isnt this different from the BT implementation?
      Stand to be corrected....

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

BT use RAMBO for their line management, Sky use DLM, they are different but are doing a similar job.

If your line is capped then DLM is suspended, at least for now. It may be re-activated when they do the profile changes for existing customers to the 20mb line speeds.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      BT use RAMBO for their line management, Sky use DLM, they are different but are doing a similar job.

If your line is capped then DLM is suspended, at least for now. It may be re-activated when they do the profile changes for existing customers to the 20mb line speeds.
      Yes my line is defintely capped.
      Hmmm i'm still none the wiser with regards to why the SNR/Speed behaves this way?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Hmmm i'm still none the wiser with regards to why the SNR/Speed behaves this way?
      I don't know how else I can put it. You have a fault on your line, caused by either a physical fault on the line itself or has beensuggested it could be a REIN issue.

This fault increases the noise on your line, to a point where the data being transmitted is lost and the noise margin, which you might look at as a safety valve, is used up. At this point your line drops and reconnects at a speed it can maintain. This speed will be below the original speed and may take some time to reconnect if the noise on the line is really bad. The line will eventually negotiate a speed and reconnect with a noise margin of around 7dbs. If the noise gets no worse, it will stay at this speed and margin. If it gets worse it will drop again and go through the negotiation process. If the line clears the noise margin will rise. Rebooting the router when the noise is high, capping aside, will increase the speed until the noise again forces the router to disconnect and go through the whole process again.

Your last resort is to try to get Sky to send out a REIN engineer. These are trained and have the equipment to detect such a fault and eliminate it if possible.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

shattered12 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: yaxley, peterborough
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Getting sky to send a REIN engineer requires so many repetitive tests for BT to even consider it, BT send the REIN not sky.

It took almost 5 weeks on and we are still no clearer on why my line keeps cutting out in the evening, hope its REIN at least then BT will fix for you, if like myself its a issue with sky hardware/software they won't touch it and fobb you off like me.

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shattered12 View Post
      hope its REIN at least then BT will fix for you.
      There's no guarantee of this. All Openreach can do initially is hope to identify the source of the REIN, getting it rectified is a whole different ball game. For example, the problem could be with a neighbour who may not want to cooperate. If it's street lighting causing the problem then Openreach will have to negotiate with the council and see just how costly it will be to fix.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

BT send the REIN not sky.
      All work on the line is done by BT Openreach, but they will not even get in a van without being requested by Sky, who pay the considerable bill.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

krysis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      All work on the line is done by BT Openreach, but they will not even get in a van without being requested by Sky, who pay the considerable bill.
      Quite true.

But to OP you have some sort of fault somewhere!
      But to get a REIN Engineer out may take a while.

Exchange:
      Thanks

As i've updated in my previous post; aimming to get a REIN engineer out.

Disconnects 'n Speed Issues?

Please do not make any further additions to this thread. Use the one linked above. Two threads on the same subject only serve to confuse. Thank you
      Last edited by Isitme; 16-08-09 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Noted above

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12