Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky broadband issues (new user)

This is a discussion on Sky broadband issues (new user) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, Having some problems with my sky broadband. Will try to keep it as brief as I can. Originally ...

Tombles is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Sky broadband issues (new user)

Hi guys,

Having some problems with my sky broadband. Will try to keep it as brief as I can.

Originally myself and my fiancée rang up Sky to order BB and phone for our new house. We wanted the unlimited package and they said we could have it in our area and it will be 14 days for the phone line to be activated (BT came out to fit new line) then 24 hours after the BB will be activated.

Once the phone line was activated I was expecting the BB to be up and running 24 hours later (as they had said) but we had no router sent to us so we rang them up to ask where it is. Sky then told us they haven’t ordered BB for us due to not having an active phone line when we originally ordered. They then told us they cannot give us Sky unlimited due to our line and can only give us Sky connect (less than half speed for same price as unlimited and a usage cap). Once they had told us all this and the order was put through they then said it was another 15 days (not what we were originally told).

Anyway fast forward to last Monday (3rd August) our BB was finally activated but it was seriously slow. It took over 2 hours to view a movie trailer on the Apple website and loading web pages was painful too. I thought I would leave it a couple of days due to their 10 day testing period but on the Wednesday (5th August) we lost all BB. Since then we have not had BB even though I have phoned their tech support almost every day. They have contacted BT who said their line is clear so it is down to Sky.

We had Internet for the first time last night after speaking to their tech support but it went down again after about 3 minutes and is still down now.

We are both fed up of this and the only reason we took out the phone with Sky was because we had to have a BT line to get the BB and now we just want to cancel as it is not working and when it is it is unusable, oh and their support is woeful.

Would you think I have any chance to cancel either or both phone and BB? We are out of our 8 day cancellation period (conveniently it’s 8 days after phone line activation which is still a week before our BB was even activated).

Hope it makes sense, sorry for any bad grammar, in a rush as I am at work. Any help would be great.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sky broadband issues (new user)

We wanted the unlimited package and they said we could have it in our area
      Has Sky enabled your exchange? If so you may just be on Connect temporary until a slot is available and you should be receiving a discount. If you exchange is not enabled, then like many others you have been lied to. This could just be a mistake on the part of the salesperson, or it could be a downright lie, made to entice you to sign up. It would not be the first time this has happened.

If I were you I would write to Sky, using the KANA form and inform them that you are not at all happy with the situation and only had your line installed with the understanding that you would be on the Unlimited passage. It is important that you get your dissatisfaction down in writing, don't even try to get anything done by phone or you will just be passed from pillar to post. The KANA form does not allow you to say much but you will receive a reply by email which you can reply to giving the full story. Keep a copy of what you send and if you have another email(work) use that, in case your broadband stays down at home.

https://mysky.sky.com/portal/site/sk...contactus/kana
      Last edited by Isitme; 12-08-09 at 04:21 PM. Reason: URL for KANA

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      /snip
      As far as i know Sky has not enabled our exchange and will not be.

I have filled in the form you have linked. Many thanks for the help.

I think i have a case for the broadband but i could imagine it will be difficult for the phone.

Thanks

If you stick to your case that you only took the phone to get the broadband you may get out of it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Tombles
      Hi do as Isitme says also have a look at the link for more information

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Steve, that had some useful information i could use.

Anyone know how long it roughly takes for someone to get back to you if you send a complaint using the KANA form?

Thanks

Unfortunately it can take up to 3 days. It depends how busy they are.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks, at least that gives me a rough idea. I got the automated confirmation letter last night.

Going to ring tech support again later today as the Internet is still not working. Even if they can't fix it (which i don't think they will) at least it will go down on their records that i am still having problems.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well i rang tech support last night and they said their is nothing more they can do their end and an engineer is coming out tomorrow morning to have a look.

I also checked my phone bill for this month so far and by ringing Sky so much i have added nearly £20 worth of calls

Anyone managed to get their phone costs deducted off their Sky bill?

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tombles View Post
      Well i rang tech support last night and they said their is nothing more they can do their end and an engineer is coming out tomorrow morning to have a look.

I also checked my phone bill for this month so far and by ringing Sky so much i have added nearly £20 worth of calls

Anyone managed to get their phone costs deducted off their Sky bill?
      I'm never sure of the correct procedure on reimbursements, but if you've been having the problems for 3 weeks (I think) then you're entitled to credit on the account. Regarding the calls you've made, just go through to customer services and state your case and see how it goes. It's actually a free call if you're on sky talk, which is free to sign up to.

Someone who can confirm the correct/better method will more than likely chime in after.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast