Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Need Help...So Confused

This is a discussion on Need Help...So Confused within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, Im new to this forum and I have recently ordered SKY. First off, a bit of background. Moved ...

chris_5252 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Need Help...So Confused

Hi there, Im new to this forum and I have recently ordered SKY.

First off, a bit of background. Moved into student house recently and we decided that we wanted Sky TV, Broadband (Unlimited) and Sky line rental. As it is a student house the previous occupants had their broadband with PlusNet. Any how, they canceled their broadband when they moved out on the 30th June and we then began to move in in July. So I ordered the package end of June. Had Sky TV installed early July, without a glitch. However it is the broadband order that I have had most difficulties with.

When I first ordered the broadband they requested a MAC code. I told them I couldn't get one because I didn't know the previous occupants. He then cancelled my order to reorder it without a MAC code. However this could not be done for another 2 weeks because of the ordering system they use, fail safe or something.

In the mean time I had acquired the MAC code from the previous occupants through the landlord. I then reordered 2 weeks later with the MAC code at hand, 24th July, (at this time the SKY line rental had been activated) and this time they did not request a MAC code! So I was skeptical if the order would go through or not. Moreover, I called again on 1th Aug for an update as I had not heard a peep, and to my despair they had said that there has been a delay on my order and they could not give me a reason as to why. They then said that they would call back a couple days later. I waited a week, but noting. I then called them back and they said that there was no record of my order on their system! I had also noticed that it had also disappeared from my "Track My Order" on "My Sky". So I we reordered the broadband at that time, 7th Aug, and I called again today, 8th Aug, for an update to make sure everything was ok. I was then told that the delay and cancelation was caused by them upgrading something at the exchange and that we would be on the "New, Upgraded Network" when it finally goes active on the 21st Aug.

I have no idea what has been happening as I keep be told noting or something different every time I call, and Its always me instigating the communication. I have not had a single call from Sky explaining anything.

The worst thing as well is that when the previous people in the house ask PlusNet for the MAC code they reopened their account thinking they wanted broadband again! The previous occupants then told me that that would activate again on the 15th Aug and to make sure that our Sky broadband activated first to theirs couldn't. But it wont, ours only goes through on the 21st Aug. However Sky told me that theirs wouldn't because it is now a Sky Telephone Line.

Anyway it would be great if anyone could help me understand what has been going on here and help me to shed some light on this awful experience I have had with Sky.

Is it correct about them upgrading their broadband network?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Need Help...So Confused

The correct proceedure was to allow the previous tenants to cancel/cease their broadband service and then when you move in you order from Sky as a whole new contract.

Because you did that and then, rather than let this run it's course, you then got a MAC from the previous tenants and tried again and then cancelled this and tried without a MAC again, you have confused the system to the point that it doesn't know what is going on.

The only reason that the previous tenants would have needed a MAC was if they wanted to migrate their service to another provider but still in THEIR name.

You may have to wait 10 days for the BT system to show the correct details on the line before you can again place a new customer order.

As for the service being upgraded, yes it is but this shouldn't affect any orders.

Are you sure you are getting Sky Max and not Sky Connect? It is very important that you are because Sky Connect is a terrible package and would not suit your needs.

IMPORTANT:- Check your exchange has the Sky LLU equipment in it and ring Sky to ensure that they have enough capacity for you to be put on it.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I had arranged with Sky that the broadband order should only go through after the previous service had been cancelled.

Is it true now that as Sky have the line, the other service cannot reactivate?

We have ordered Sky unlimited and our exchange is S10 5BH, Broomhill

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you have been moved to the 'New Sky Network' for your phone rental, no other ISP will be able to use the line. Sky should also have no excuse based on BT not doing their job. If the line has been moved, it is all down to Sky, BT have nothing to do with it.

I think Smithy is probably correct, in that giving them a MAC, it has confused the system. It usually takes about 10 days to set up the broadband after the line rental is moved and that is without problems. It is usually better to get the broadband set up first and then the rental, it is quicker and there is no break in the broadband supply. When you move the line at the same time the broadband can't start being set up until the phone is complete. Advice too late for you, I'm afraid you will just have to wait it out.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Openreach still do the work for Sky, so BT do have something to do with it...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

I was referring to BT Retail who operate the phone rental, not BT Openreach who are a completely separate company, although they are both owned by BT Group PLC.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

My broadband order is not showing under "Track My Order" in "My Sky". Is this wrong? My previous failed orders used to show there.

Thanks

Is your Sky phone activated? If so give them a ring to find out what is happening. Remember your should be dealing with Sales, getting Support will only confuse the issue. If your phone is not on Sky yet, I would leave it till it is.

TomD

Useful Utilites